Retrieving the boat, back onto the trailer, can be a real pain!

We now modified our newest Bennington trailer. Haven't tested it yet but should work. The steel inside poles goes up within 5" of PVC top so breaking the PVC shouldn't be a problem member "Fire Up" described. Some earlier models didn't have metal high enough. We also added padded black canvas covers pulled over each PVC pipe.IMG_4399.jpgIMG_4398.jpgIMG_4401.jpgIMG_4400.jpg

I had to pull my boat out today for some upcoming warranty work so I figured I’d film how I do a solo retrieve at our neighborhood dock. Without the outside load guides it would be tough to keep the aft where it should be over the bunks when pulling out.

Last edited:
I had to pull my boat out today for some upcoming warranty work so I figured I’d film how I do a solo retrieve at our neighborhood dock. Without the outside load guides it would be tough to keep the aft where it should be over the bunks when pulling out.

Like a Pro!!! Think you've done this before......

If any are still having some issues, I made a video of my process. I back the trailer in so the top of the fenders are just at the water surface. I know, in this vid the fenders are a little high, but the concept is the same. Hope this helps. I don’t know if I’ve posted before, so I apologize if it’s a rerun.

Well done and know you have a lift and don’t trailer much

Good job! That's one thing I've never done......driven any of our boats onto their trailer. We've just floated it on.......

I'd put the trailer a bit farther in - you'll make lots of enemies "power landing" your boat like that. It destroys the landing and washes it out.

As I stated in my video post, I normally back my trailer to where the fenders just get covered with water.
As far as powering on the trailer, I try to be very aware of that during the process. As it shows in the vid., I turn around a number of times to get my motor lined up with the trailer and to get my tilt as high as possible. I tilt the motor up far enough to only have a good bite in the water. Many never tilt their motor at all, and the trust is going down into the ramp’s bottom.

Nice job! After having some issues loading on a windy day, I said "screw this!" and put 3 pairs of outside 48" guides with cushioned sleeve over PVC uprights and now it is super easy to load. You can put trailer as deep as you want and trailer has no choice but be perfectly centered and coasts right up to the stops. We use trailer all the time as rivers and reservoirs are the main uses in Oregon. I built a Versatube kit building to cover it in winter. My pics are in the June 27,2020 posting above so I didn't repeat pics. The loading is so nice with all those guides. No one has pointed and laughed so far so thats a plus. I'm 68 so why not do what makes boating easier. My version of training wheels on your first bicycle. The less issues launching and loading, happier the wifey is. :cool:

Last edited:
Back