Service question

Lilguy

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Bennington with a Yamaha 150. This is the first outboard Ive had in 35 years on the Illinois Chain O lakes. Three IOs previously.
Also this is the first boat I have not kept at home and serviced myself, we moved from our farm to a neighborhood. No boats allowed on trailers.
So now I keep it at a marina, indoor valet service, where one can not work on your own boat, period. Im told now I need a Impeller replaced at 22hrs.
First launch August 2022 for a month, 2-3 hr, and then in water for about 20hs 2023. Would you all offer up your own experiences and recommendations
in reference to the care and feeding of an outboard. And no, I don't total faith in the dealer/marina. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Unless your lake is very silty/muddy and you've been running in the muck a lot (or ran it out of the water AT ALL - it happens), I'd be suspect of needing an impeller already.

It's not a weak point on a well-kept motor - so may be worth a second opinion.

Thanks . My IOs always went 50 -100 hrs and a few years before replacing .

I had them check mine on my 2014 after 3 years, it was fine. Since they had it apart it wasn't that much more $ to replace it. I plan on getting my 2022 checked next year.

Our impeller was done last year on our 2017. Even then, it was fine enough once they got in there. However, it was 7 years old. We had kept up on all other recommended service through our dealership, but somehow this one had slipped through the cracks. On a 2 year old boat, seems something adverse had to have happened as mentioned above…or there is some service overreach taking place here.

Is it possible the motor was ever started and run dry? (Out of the water / no muffs). You can ruin an impeller in seconds if it's not cooled by water.

I have no Idea. They winterize in the fall and do a summerization before launch in spring. $300.00 and $189.00. They run it both times so who Knows. I always keep an eye on the weep hole output, it was fine last September before layup.
Is it possible the motor was ever started and run dry? (Out of the water / no muffs). You can ruin an impeller in seconds if it's not cooled by water.

I've had 2 I/O's and my current outboard. I've replaced the impellers every 3 seasons on all of them!

The marina/dealer is probably doing the replacement based on time and not running hours. Yamaha design impellers are large volume type as opposed to pressure type (like older Mercruiser impellers that required more frequent maintenance) because of high tension on the impeller vanes to the housing. When I bought my VMAX with 77 hours on it, I went a head and did the 100 hour maintenance protocal and the impeller looked new even though the engine was 3 years old. That said, its also a good time to drain and change the gearoil, pull the propeller and check for fishing line that could damage the seals, change the engine oil and filter, and both fuel filters. I bought the service kit for mine and it cost $286 to do the entire engine. Plugs, filters, oil, etc...Everything. I did it myself and have the piece of mind, that shes good for another 100 hours easily.

I had the 20 hour service last September at layup. They seem to be on a every 2 year schedule no matter the hrs. I’m
looking at over $800.00 for the summerizing, impeller and drive oil change. Im at their mercy for the most part.

Back