Side Skirting

Coachjsmh

Reaction score
I need to install a new transducer, and was wondering if it is possible to take the side skirting off to run the wires. Looks like it is not possible but that would make that job much simpler.

Yes. A 3/8 bolt at each runner. Easy peasy, but will take a little hand dexterity.

I need to install a new transducer, and was wondering if it is possible to take the side skirting off to run the wires. Looks like it is not possible but that would make that job much simpler.
Several on here have reported they fished transducer wires without removing the skirt. I know you can get fiberglass rods designed for wire fishing at Harbor Freight inexpensively. I suggest you do a search.

Guessing you're boat is in the water or on the trailer. I did mine at the lake in very shallow water from under the boat. I did a completely new install. HOWEVER, I did drop the cordless drill in the lake and ruined that.

Look at the task at hand and plan out the wire route. I can't see any problem with your idea. Just be sure that you have plenty of wire to get to the transducer mount with enough slack.

My captain seat is almost midship on starboard. And the transducer mount (is of course) at the stern but on the port side. I had just enough wire to make it with a bit of slack.

So as measure twice to be sure and don't stretch the cables real tight. They need to expand and contract with the temperature.

Let me know if you need more information.
Terry

Yes. A 3/8 bolt at each runner. Easy peasy,..
Easy peasy sounds like something you hear on the internet. There are about a dozen of these large bolts securing each side skirt. Same bolts secure the tubes to the frame. Fishing around with suggestions above sounds much easier.

When I ran the underwater LEDs on my boat, I'd planned to remove skirts - but gave up after it appeared the bolts attached to free-floating nuts (vs. threaded/attached bolts).

I chickened out and fished the wires instead. In hindsight, I probably should have just drilled out the waveshield and riveted it back in place - but it worked out with some patience.

Lefty loosey, Righty righty.
We're not splitting atoms here.
20220926_163738.jpg

Again, it requires a bit of dexterity, but not bad.
Have tube supported as like said these are half of the bolts that attach it.

Reactions: Mtg
When I ran the underwater LEDs on my boat, I'd planned to remove skirts - but gave up after it appeared the bolts attached to free-floating nuts (vs. threaded/attached bolts).

I chickened out and fished the wires instead. In hindsight, I probably should have just drilled out the waveshield and riveted it back in place - but it worked out with some patience.
When I replaced my tubes I was able to remove the side skirts but it was rigorous with non power wrench and ordinary dexterity. When I reinstalled the side skirts I modified them so they could be mounted directly to the tube mounting brackets with small fasteners. This is common in the industry. I assumed Bennington did not do this because this mounting method did not meet their high aesthetic standards. I made the change because their mounting method did not meet my serviceability standards.

Lefty loosey, Righty righty.
We're not splitting atoms here.
View attachment 33461

Again, it requires a bit of dexterity, but not bad.
Have tube supported as like said these are half of the bolts that attach it.
Much trickier with wave shield - mine was impossible to get at. I barely had room to run the LEDs along the side. Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 8.30.18 AM.png

Back