Spring in Michigan

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
Dock got put in Monday. Got dock and lakeside yard along sea wall completed today for water fowl mitigation. Boat and jet ski splash in the water in a week and a half. Currently clear, sunny and calm. Actually supposed to get into the 80’s next week at our cottage. Feeling it!

My view right now:
AE172F59-1FD1-4693-861A-D166117BEEBE.jpeg

Set up earlier today to be ready for the season:
69F534A3-6980-44B2-917A-78DFDFE20DC6.jpeg134DFC7C-1C6B-4B23-86B5-9F72A49D48E0.jpegDEF685DD-B502-4458-8023-4723BC6EAED7.jpeg

Northern MN (my cabin anyway) is still iced out. I had my boat in the water for two weeks this time last year. AAARGH!

Pic from my neighbor yesterday: Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 4.06.29 PM.png

New 25 LTSB delivered yesterday with Bulmann 6000k lift installed. Thanks to Wilson Marine and Bulmann Dock and Lift. Both teams made it happen- no delays, on time and everyone showed up as promised! Work hard…play hard! Can’t wait for warmer weather in N MI.40C13226-3B1A-448D-899E-025AFE6E81FB.jpeg620192CC-5302-4FB9-9EA8-01EEC4D685DB.jpeg0940BAB3-E9E3-42E8-9FDB-1582B0C37332.jpegA15502CF-CA11-44BF-812C-C01E5F612AD3.jpeg

Attachments

• 89237A8B-E07E-4262-89B4-CBE9E4EB754D.jpeg
    89237A8B-E07E-4262-89B4-CBE9E4EB754D.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 19
New 25 LTSB delivered yesterday with Bulmann 6000k lift installed. Thanks to Wilson Marine and Bulmann Dock and Lift. Both teams made it happen- no delays, on time and everyone showed up as promised! Work hard…play hard! Can’t wait for warmer weather in N MI.View attachment 32554View attachment 32558View attachment 32556View attachment 32557
Beautiful boat on a beautiful lake. Congratulations. I can feel the excitement in the last picture.
Pure Michigan!

Side note, our former cottage was in the ski village at Shanty Creek Resort somewhat close to Torch lake before selling it and getting on Houghton Lake. Used to hang out on Torch lake sometimes in the summers up at the old place. We would always go watch the fireworks on the south end of the lake on the 4th of July.

What part of Torch Lake are you on?

You bet! Of course…Shanty Creek in Bellaire, MI and now Shorts Brewing Co has really put it on the map.

Our family is at the north end of the lake - Eastport, MI. My dad (next door) inspired me to buy a Bennington as he owns and enjoys his too.

I don’t know Houghton Lake very well, but we do know the Green & White! We’re ALL Spartans…4 generations. We have two at MSU now and live in Okemos, MI. Go Green!

You bet! Of course…Shanty Creek in Bellaire, MI and now Shorts Brewing Co has really put it on the map.

Our family is at the north end of the lake - Eastport, MI. My dad (next door) inspired me to buy a Bennington as he owns and enjoys his too.

I don’t know Houghton Lake very well, but we do know the Green & White! We’re ALL Spartans…4 generations. We have two at MSU now and live in Okemos, MI. Go Green!
Another Spartan living here in Okemos. Howdy neighbor!

This pic is a few years old . I'm in Northern Michigan,our docks stay in all winter .
FB_IMG_1582570951989.jpg

Dumb question, but do you have to take your dock out in winter?
I guess that depends on your lake or river. Ice coming off lakes in the spring destroy docks.

The general thinking around where I am (northern MN) is to take docks and lifts out if there's danger of wind-pushed ice floes in the Spring.

Most people around here whose docks/lifts are in protected water (bays/inlets) don't remove their docks or lifts (I was lucky to have a protected bay for 8 years, and the lift/dock were never harmed by ice).

However, when the wind comes in the wrong way it can level entire houses onshore. I distinctly remember as a kid when the wind blew melting ice through an entire resort. Here's a clip from a couple years ago:

Last edited:
Spring is upon my northern Bennington brothers!! I feel like the parent on Christmas drinking coffee while the kids open their gifts

Small world. As one can tell, we are a Spartan family: wife and I are alums, 1 of our four kids is an alum, and now full time faculty at MSU - math department, instructor. So cool!

We also live in Haslett (home) when not at the cottage all summer. So we are “neighbors“ of sorts, along with Steve (Michiman) above.

Go Green!

Last edited:
Oh yes. Out every fall, put back in every summer. Legally required on many lakes.

Lake ice would totally destroy anything left in. Lake freezes thick 1-2.5’ thick…and it moves slowly through out the season. This was just the ”ice wall” pushed up on our shore line this past winter in Feb.:

E9358D2F-1CFF-4541-8B63-39A9765092B1.jpeg 3D601074-F6B7-463E-9612-C77F7A2F1C88.jpeg 4C666531-85A9-485A-9B03-C5B73F0185DA.jpeg 16AE4CCB-51A5-4DCC-8A4D-2CC27C3B8480.jpeg

And this is what happens in some areas of the lake in the spring when the ice starts to break up, and a storm comes along and pushes it all ashore:
21C29FF2-D558-4248-9AED-E55B5ED9D3EE.jpeg0C6CB6E8-169B-44ED-BCBE-0896B9E3275E.jpeg

Last edited:
Spring is upon my northern Bennington brothers!! I feel like the parent on Christmas drinking coffee while the kids open their gifts
“Hey dad - when’s the boat splashed in this year?” :p

Last edited:
Oh yes. Out every fall, put back in every summer. Legally required.

But lake ice would totally destroy anything left in. Lake freezes thick 1-2.5’ thick…and it moves slowly through out the season. This was just the ”ice wall” pushed up on our shore line this past winter in Feb.:

View attachment 32565 View attachment 32566 View attachment 32567 View attachment 32568

And this is what happens in some areas of the lake in the spring when the ice starts to break up, and a storm comes along and pushes it all ashore:
View attachment 32569View attachment 32570

Wow, I had no idea, but that makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

For the last 15 years I've left my dock and two lifts in the water all year. I use a a Kasco Deicer in the winter months, it keeps the ice away all winter. Some years I've had dock damage from the ice flow depending on the wind direction, nothing a little time and work in the cold water won't fix. I'm on Clam Lake which is a small lake that accesses Torch Lake.

For the last 15 years I've left my dock and two lifts in the water all year. I use a a Kasco Deicer in the winter months, it keeps the ice away all winter. Some years I've had dock damage from the ice flow depending on the wind direction, nothing a little time and work in the cold water won't fix. I'm on Clam Lake which is a small lake that accesses Torch Lake.
I could see getting away with that on Clam Lake. Wish we could! No way can you on HL. Just too big... Volume of ice, seasonal ice movement, and spring movement during breakup with wind is too much. Good reminder with you and Jack that it can depend on what body of water you are on.

We just purchased a house on south end of clam near grass river. We installed a permanent dock this summer. Would you mind sharing your recommendations for bubbler? Trying to decide if I should leave my hoist in or pull it. Not concerned about dock as it is pretty well built. Thanks for any tips!! Ben

Back