SPS+ or ESP

TommyG

Reaction score
Hey guys new member here and 1st post. I'm trying to build a 23lsb and I'm undecided on the toon package. I will be putting a vmax 250 and was wondering if the ESP was worth the xtra 3k or not. Actually around $2100 after discount. I have a lake house so the 32 gallon tank would be fine. I like the idea of the direct fill vs the port fill also. I've been fighting putting gas in my 04 2250rl for over 17 years now and I like the look of the deluxe tow bar also. My concern is the extra buoyancy with the ESP and yes the maneuverability would be better also. My wife doesn't like to go fast and she would be with me 95% of the time so we wont be doing any barrel racing. Mainly pulling tubes and cruising. But on the other hand if it is the better option for this build I don't want to short change myself trying to save 2 grand on a 70k boat. Any help or advise from the pros would be much appreciated. Thanks

I went with the SPS only because I keep mine in a slip all season .The toons do get slimy .I try to wipe mine down at the sand bar once a week . I cant get between the toons on an ESP .
I went with the direct fill on my Q ,as far as I am concerned its the only way to go when filing your self .

Things like the ESP can't be added later on without the parts and labor expense on the scale of what an entry to mid level Bennington would cost.

That being said, you'll need to really take a critical look at the typical conditions that arise on your preferred BoW(s) that you will be boating on.
If you plan to take a whole host of folks out, will you be wanting the extra buoyancy for getting "just one more person" aboard, comfortably (and legally)?
Do sudden weather conditions cause rough waters to flare up with little to no notice where that extra buoyancy may come in handy for getting back to port safely while pegging the binnacle in the WOT position?

According to the Bennington website, each elliptical pontoon adds around 1,000 pounds of buoyancy over the standard round pontoon (does not specify if this is compared to the basic/value 23" or the standard 25").

If you have the budget for it, then go for the ESP...the extra resale retention value can't be argued with since it's a highly sought-after bullet point in the used market for very discerning shoppers knowing what it is and what they want, specifically.
But, if saving money is the concern, then money saved is money saved, so the SPS becomes the front-runner...and it's still a Bennington, so the resale value will be there.

This is my personal take, so take it as the giant grain of salt that it is: If it were me and a budget limit would make me decide between the SPS with a VF250 or the ESP with a VF200 (both are the same 4.2L and both using the recommended Yamaha Saltwater II 15.75x15 prop with only a 2-5 MPH top speed difference in the full range of 40 MPH arena, then I'd probably opt for the ESP and VF200 and live with low to mid 40 MPH speeds as compared to VF250 with mid to high 40 MPH speeds for a boat the size and weight of the 23LSB.
When that engine warranty runs out, then there are some beautiful things that can be done to the 4.2L series...one of them being as simple as swapping out the Engine Control Module since they are identical engines in just about every other aspect:

Engine Comparison | Yamaha Outboards

MSRP comparison for the 23LSB (pontoon package, engine, and dual batteries only - *no other options added*, for comparative purposes)
SPS+ with VF250: $78,703
ESP with VF200: $78,756

Yamaha Performance Bulletin examples:

PB_BNT_2375RCW_VF250XA_2014-09-30_PNT | Yamaha Outboards

PB_BNT_2375GCWA_VF250XA_2015-08-18_PNT | Yamaha Outboards

PB_BNT_2275RCW_VF250LA_2012-05-14_PNT | Yamaha Outboards

PB_BNT_2275RCW_VF200LA_2012-05-15_PNT | Yamaha Outboards

Again, if you have the budget, then get the best of both worlds: ESP and VF250. :)

Good luck with your decision and a preemptive congratulations on your new Benny!

Thanks for the response guys. Jack mine would be on a lift in a covered dock so maybe the toons wont get to gunky. I do trailer it back to my shop once a year to service and detail it. As far as the direct fill I would really like that but I did learn about the Alabama credit card(super syphon) just this past season and it did make things a whole lot easier. Is there a place to set a gas can on top of the seat possibly near the filler neck? DejaWiz that was a very informative post. Thanks for all the info. I'm definitely going with the 250 sho just not sure about the toon package. Resale value is not an issue I dont think. Should be my last boat. I guess I could give up the cool looking deluxe ski tow and direct fill if the ESP is going to handle and perform better. We do have to try to outrun a thunderstorm every once in a while here in Georgia. Maybe the only chance I get to open it up with my wife with me. Only big waves are the ones rolling off the wakesurf boats but that elliptical toon should make those smoother? I need to decide soon because this ocd is whipping my butt. Thanks

Welcome TommyG! Many folks on this site choose the SPS option but I'm going to guess the primary reason is to keep within a certain budget. That said, I've never heard anyone complain about its performance. Ours came with the ESP so I had no real choice but I can say that it handles chop extremely well, turns on a dime and the large gas tank is handy, not to mention the additional seating capacity. Maybe someone else who has had both will chime in on real world experience between the two, but if your budget allows, I'd go the ESP route.

My recommendation is ESP, and then go for the belly storage. Super-handy to have extra room for pool noodles and anchors.

ESP floats and handles very, very (surprisingly) well. Waves just aren't a problem. You'll pick up a few extra people in capacity too. My 25R is rated for 16. Can't speak for SPS or +.

So... direct fill is via the side? Unclear on terminology. We have dockside gas so having a filler in the side was my best (really only) option. I suppose if you're lugging cans it would be nice to be able to fill on-deck in the back.

SPS+ here. Couldn't tell you what I'm missing - I can pack 12 people aboard (IIRC) run 51 and have no issues hitting 3 footers. If an ESP somehow would get better numbers then it would have to be material to offset the cost.

What I don't do a lot of is turning, so perhaps that's where the ESP really shines. Better is better for sure so if you are not under any budget constraints I too would recommend the bigger (and thicker) hull.

Ok Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I couldn't go wrong either way but the ESP would be more better. We have a boat show coming up at the end of the month if they don't cancel. I want to go look at them in person before I pull the trigger to compare some other options and floor plans. I'm sure I'll need more advise as I try to finalize the build. Thanks again.

SPS+ here. Couldn't tell you what I'm missing - I can pack 12 people aboard (IIRC) run 51 and have no issues hitting 3 footers. If an ESP somehow would get better numbers then it would have to be material to offset the cost.

What I don't do a lot of is turning, so perhaps that's where the ESP really shines. Better is better for sure so if you are not under any budget constraints I too would recommend the bigger (and thicker) hull.
What are you running for Hp and pitch on prop

Thanks for the response guys. Jack mine would be on a lift in a covered dock so maybe the toons wont get to gunky. I do trailer it back to my shop once a year to service and detail it. As far as the direct fill I would really like that but I did learn about the Alabama credit card(super syphon) just this past season and it did make things a whole lot easier. Is there a place to set a gas can on top of the seat possibly near the filler neck? DejaWiz that was a very informative post. Thanks for all the info. I'm definitely going with the 250 sho just not sure about the toon package. Resale value is not an issue I dont think. Should be my last boat. I guess I could give up the cool looking deluxe ski tow and direct fill if the ESP is going to handle and perform better. We do have to try to outrun a thunderstorm every once in a while here in Georgia. Maybe the only chance I get to open it up with my wife with me. Only big waves are the ones rolling off the wakesurf boats but that elliptical toon should make those smoother? I need to decide soon because this ocd is whipping my butt. Thanks
Last boat, then get everything!!! Why short change yourself,!?!?

Back