THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS

Getting closer! All the ice gone?

Almost. Edges are melted and lots of open portions in middle. Just need a couple warmer days and I think it'll be gone.

I heard that our lake is still pretty much frozen over, will go up this weekend to check it out

We still have ice but the rain is helping with that and the edges are thawing out.

We still had 2' of frost holding up the excavation for our new garage, but they put the 14 helical piles 30' down just a couple days ago! Unbelievable what those "little poles", as my wife said, cost  :unsure:

That must be some soil you are on there. Can't wait to see more of the progress

That must be some soil you are on there. Can't wait to see more of the progress
Yeah, the house is on forty 35-40' deep wood pilings with a steel i-beam frame on top of concrete caps. It's not going anywhere ;-)

What is wrong with the soil that requires pilings?

What is wrong with the soil that requires pilings?
After the topsoil layers, 10'+ of loose gray clay and organics, up to 33% moisture, according to two soil borings. The engineering company said the lower tips of the pilings had to be at least 15' down past that point or until they slow down when driven at certain pressure. There is just a really high water table in some of these lower locations and we're on a narrow road right between 2 lakes.

There was a new single story $250k+ house built here a few years ago that was on pilings ~25', as recommended. About a year later they realized it was sinking right through the center line, where the front door was. It was obvious, looking at it head on. Lawsuits followed, the brand new house was completely leveled, new pilings bored a bit deeper and better placed, and another identical new house constructed. I don't want to be that guy or use that engineer, so pilings it is, write the big check.

So, it's almost a peat bog under the topsoil?  Is the cost of the pilings close to a full basement or is it o'crap but there is no other choice?  Houses on pilings are supposed to be in the south next to the ocean 

After the topsoil layers, 10'+ of loose gray clay and organics, up to 33% moisture, according to two soil borings. The engineering company said the lower tips of the pilings had to be at least 15' down past that point or until they slow down when driven at certain pressure. There is just a really high water table in some of these lower locations and we're on a narrow road right between 2 lakes.

There was a new single story $250k+ house built here a few years ago that was on pilings ~25', as recommended. About a year later they realized it was sinking right through the center line, where the front door was. It was obvious, looking at it head on. Lawsuits followed, the brand new house was completely leveled, new pilings bored a bit deeper and better placed, and another identical new house constructed. I don't want to be that guy or use that engineer, so pilings it is, write the big check.
Sounds like a professional liability claim. Most engineering firms carry that coverage to provide protection for their errors.

So, it's almost a peat bog under the topsoil?  Is the cost of the pilings close to a full basement or is it o'crap but there is no other choice?  Houses on pilings are supposed to be in the south next to the ocean 
It seems like quite stable topsoil on top, but apparently moist sandy stuff below. I saw it when they pulled the slugs out of the test bores when we built the house, very ugly slop. Those 14 helical piles alone were ~$8k, though the full foundation system with rebar/concrete beams that tie into them is ~3x that. Let's just say the house foundation was crazy expensive, using 10" telephone poles, sometimes 3 strapped together, plus the rebar/concrete caps and steel frame. It's not even a particularly big house for this area.

Sorry folks, should probably start a new thread... back to the countdown!

Sounds like a professional liability claim. Most engineering firms carry that coverage to provide protection for their errors.
Yes it was.

Dave, I haven't seen a picture of your boat at the dock yet. Did it go in last week?

No, I'm bummed. Weather got them backed up. Good thing is it was super windy and cold this weekend so we wouldn't have gone out anyhow.

Hopefully this week !!!

Bummer is right!!

of course it's 71 degrees and calm right now ....... UGGGHHHHH !!!!!!

Woot! Put my docks in today  :)

Ugghhh .... dealer is running behind due to weather. No toon on dock till probably end of next week ...... guess I'll set up a lawn chair on the dock and fish ....  :p

Been out twice. The water temp. is 66. not warm enough for swimming but great boating. No wind flat calm water and going out at this time of year during  week days your the only one  disturbing in the water. Last Wednesday broke the air temp at 85. Man I love the southeast. Boston the same day was 36. I don't miss  that.

Been out twice. The water temp. is 66. not warm enough for swimming but great boating. No wind flat calm water and going out at this time of year during  week days your the only one  disturbing in the water. Last Wednesday broke the air temp at 85. Man I love the southeast. Boston the same day was 36. I don't miss  that.

:angry: ................ ;)

Back