Time to upgrade the R23

Trippernsc

Reaction score
We got our first Bennington in Sep 2016, a blacked out R23 and the first in our area with the Simtex. We have loved that boat. It has the VMAX SHO 250 and we've put 500 hours on it so far. Now we are going to upgrade to a Q25. I'm in the process or ordering, and they are holding the order until they can order the 2022 version. I'm looking at the Yahama 350, since it's a bigger boat and I don't want it to go slower than the R23. It's rare that we run it up to full throttle, but it's nice to have the power there when you need it. The VMax would push us to around 47 - what can I expect from a 350 on a Q25?
Build specs:
25QSBA - yahama package
350 HP 4S DEC LSC 25N
SIMRAD Go12
Metallic platinum, dual metallic sorrel accent, platinum canvas
Engine paint metallic sorrel
power cladded arch with roswell upgrade
midship bench exchange
Deluxe swingback
Pillowtop diamond stitched upholstery
Platinum seats, Espresso accent
elevated console
RGB side, underwater, cupholder, stern
bamboo ivory floor
ESP .125 with center storage
Dual battery
Ski Pylon

The R23 was blacked out. It's super sharp looking, but the metal gets really hot and it shows all dirt etc. We won't do that again.

Last edited:
I have a 2021 QSB 25 w/ the 350 Verado and about 11hrs of knowledge but feel good saying this boat can go over 50mph. I have been breaking in my engine per the Mercury manual but our lake has a 35mph Speed Limit and can get quite choppy so i have to pullback around 40-45mph. Dealer says it should go about 55mph. I should know this info soon;) will post an update

p.s. - my dealer orders the SPORT interior over the PILLOWTOP on the Q's and I have to say I am very happy with the Sport now that i live with it. Pillowtop is more comfortable but has more crevices/areas for stuff to collect. My neighbor has a pillowtop and I was planning to order that until i sat inside the Sport interior.

Thanks for the info! We looked at both. We have the pillowtop in the R, and we really like it so we're going to stick with it. But, you are right it does have move crevices to collect stuff.

Hi Neighbor. I sent you a private message.

Two years ago we upgraded from a G23 to a Q25. I wrote a rather lengthy post comparing the two. You might find it helpful as you make decisions regarding your new purchase. See the link below.

Two years ago we upgraded from a G23 to a Q25. I wrote a rather lengthy post comparing the two. You might find it helpful as you make decisions regarding your new purchase. See the link below.

Great read, thanks!

A Q25 with .125 and sport arch is probably 1,000 pounds heavier than your old R23. The 350 will probably get you about the same top end.

(I have a 21 R25 with the 350 Verado and no arch, and I top out at 52 - my neighbor has a QX with a 450R and he tops out at 54)

My Q25 with a tower and a 250 HP will top out at 52 mph when it is just my wife and I on board and the water is smooth.

My Q25 with a tower and a 250 HP will top out at 52 mph when it is just my wife and I on board and the water is smooth.
Steve, what prop are you using?

Michiman, I don't remember off the top of my head. I will check next time I take the boat out but that probably won't be until next weekend.

That is impressive. My 26 LX with the 300 tops out around 47. I would guess the Q with the tower would have weighed more than mine. I’d be interested in what prop you are using too.
Right! And the Fiberglass has to also add some weight - does SJ have a magic prop?!? LOL SJ - please share your secrets.

I also would be interested my 25 QSBA with 300 V8 46.5 best I've seen. 45.5 all day. I believe Enertia 14.5 x 17.

Q are very heavy plus 1000 lbs for the arch. Guessing 49 with the 350

Right! And the Fiberglass has to also add some weight - does SJ have a magic prop?!? LOL SJ - please share your secrets.
I'm guessing magic prop or speedo off by 5 mph. Still - very curious to hear details and/or proof :cool:

Back