Top Places to Boat/Own Lakehouse

BigD

Reaction score

I'm loving #5.​

Based on:​

• vacation rental performance metrics for lake towns across the U.S.
  • Zillow's 2022 median home value
  • estimated yearly expenses to run a vacation rental

The top 10 places to buy a lake house in 2023​

1. Saranac Lake, NY
  2. Branson, MO
  3. Brainerd Lakes, MN
  4. Traverse City, MI
  5. Smith Mountain Lake, VA
  6. Granbury, TX
  7. Pocono Lake, PA
  8. Norris Lake, TN
  9. Lake of the Ozarks, MO
  10. Gilford, NH

Last edited:
Lists are great but sometimes they bring unwanted attention. Might bring another flood of NY'ers down to SML and give prices another lift. Renting for a week down there used to be reasonable but now you're seeing some big $$ almost as much as shore prices.
Rent at SML is more than double what it was precovid.

My whole family used to rent a large home years ago before VRBO was even a thing. We like to think we were good neighbors during our stay, but I’m grateful that our township doesn’t allow them. I own six rental properties, but they’re all located in rental communities.

Interesting list based on lake home rental business metrics. Back when I bought my Twin Cities metro home the premium I paid for it being on a lake was only equivalent to about a extra 1000 sq ft home size. Now 35 years later the premium would be only equivalent to a extra 2000 sq ft home size. Based on this my Prior Lake home would never be on this list. Come to think of it my Brainard lakes home should not be on this list. There are better investments than lake property in Minnesota but than there is more to life than investments.

I call foul (LOL).... I see Havasu made #11, penalized because there are no homes actually on the lake. But they did note year-round sunshine and 400 miles of pristine lakefront.... though the homes have gotten pricey the last few years, driving down the CAP rate to under 3% (the balance is speculation - a $150K mobile home pre-covid is now $450K!).

Interesting list based on lake home rental business metrics. Back when I bought my Twin Cities metro home the premium I paid for it being on a lake was only equivalent to about a extra 1000 sq ft home size. Now 35 years later the premium would be only equivalent to a extra 2000 sq ft home size. Based on this my Prior Lake home would never be on this list. Come to think of it my Brainard lakes home should not be on this list. There are better investments than lake property in Minnesota but than there is more to life than investments.
My wife and I looked at lake homes on Prior Lake back in the early 2000 and prices for so-so property with 50' of lakeshore were going for $600K. I can't imagine what those homes are valued at now. Ended up buying a lake home on Lake Sylvia in Annandale, MN.

Attachments

• iPhone Picture_3.jpg
    iPhone Picture_3.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 5
Back in 1988 we bought our two bedroom Prior Lake home for the same price as our neighbors across the street paid for their four bedroom home built by the same builder. The point that I was trying to make is Minnesota lake homes might not be as good of a investment as lake homes in other locations. Switching gears I think I will start a thread about the best lake for boating as compared to a investment.

I call foul (LOL).... I see Havasu made #11, penalized because there are no homes actually on the lake. But they did note year-round sunshine and 400 miles of pristine lakefront.... though the homes have gotten pricey the last few years, driving down the CAP rate to under 3% (the balance is speculation - a $150K mobile home pre-covid is now $450K!).

No homes on Lake Havasu? Check this out! (The one on the left.) Yes, ours is a mobile home, but a lake-front home sitting on a 100 year BLM land lease. Incredible desert sunrises and sunsets from our deck, short walk down to our private beach, mooring (not dock) for our 2022 QX 25 SBA in our tucked away cove, and we’re only 40 minutes down river from the London Bridge crazies and several other magnificent, fun coves. Getting tired of the scenery? It’s off to Needles- a quick stop at the sandbar, through the gorge and then onto Pirates Cove.

I know our humble abode is nothing like the amazing homes found on the beautiful Lakes east of the Rockies, but it works for us sun-loving Southern Californios. Luckily, we purchased our unit 10 years ago during the midst of the financial crisis. (And, as far as I know, Lake Havasu will be the last lake- ok, reservoir- on the Colorado to run out of water- LOL. ) All kidding aside, if you’re ever at the lake, come on down and visit us- Havasu Springs. With a bit of a heads up, we‘ll make it happen and I’ll buy the first round at Outer Harbor. Lastly, my wife and I love our Bene!

Attachments

• 42EAE752-183C-4467-89A7-37BF6BAF417F.jpeg
    42EAE752-183C-4467-89A7-37BF6BAF417F.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 24
  • FB95D416-E779-464D-8842-4F0E112BCCA9.jpeg
    FB95D416-E779-464D-8842-4F0E112BCCA9.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 24
  • C9C911C3-18C5-470A-A082-3185903BEFB6.jpeg
    C9C911C3-18C5-470A-A082-3185903BEFB6.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 24
No homes on Lake Havasu? Check this out! (The one on the left.) Yes, ours is a mobile home, but a lake-front home sitting on a 100 year BLM land lease. Incredible desert sunrises and sunsets from our deck, short walk down to our private beach, mooring (not dock) for our 2022 QX 25 SBA in our tucked away cove, and we’re only 40 minutes down river from the London Bridge crazies and several other magnificent, fun coves. Getting tired of the scenery? It’s off to Needles- a quick stop at the sandbar, through the gorge and then onto Pirates Cove.

I know our humble abode is nothing like the amazing homes found on the beautiful Lakes east of the Rockies, but it works for us sun-loving Southern Californios. Luckily, we purchased our unit 10 years ago during the midst of the financial crisis. (And, as far as I know, Lake Havasu will be the last lake- ok, reservoir- on the Colorado to run out of water- LOL. ) All kidding aside, if you’re ever at the lake, come on down and visit us- Havasu Springs. With a bit of a heads up, we‘ll make it happen and I’ll buy the first round at Outer Harbor. Lastly, my wife and I love our Bene!
LOVE Havasu Springs - there every summer May through mid-September! Will take you up on that offer. LOL - "Humble" - that is one of the BEST places in Havasu Springs - you have the platinum location, nice Job!!!!! It really is too bad you can only stay for 150 days per year!

Back