Trailer advice

mnosek

Reaction score
Hi.. new to forum and a "new-ish" pontoon owner. We bought a Bennington 20SSRCX tri-toon a couple seasons ago. Started out paying the dealer for storage and delivery service. Way too expensive. Now want to do it ourselves. Need advice on how to find most affordable option for trailer. Anyone have some good advice?

Last edited:
I went with a genesis which is made in Michigan and galvanized. It’s held up great so far and I’ve put probably 4000 miles on it.

EZ Loader - just saw one at my dealer - best out of the box trailer I have seen.
Trailers for Pontoons - they have some great info.
I also included some of my notes about trailer design, but I trailer a LOT of miles and overthink EVERYTHING. LOL.

Attachments

• Trailer Builld Specs 6 BOC.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 61
Hoosier trailers, out of Indiana. Had 2 of them. Very happy.

If you're just storing and trailering to/from your slip once per season, it really doesn't matter. I'd recommend a 3-bunk trailer if you have a tritoon. I'm happy with our Yacht Club. I doubt mine will ever get more than 500 miles on it.

I am in the same "boat". I bought a 2020 22SSRX, Yamaha 150 with SPS and extended aft deck. I want to handle my own in/out and maintenance.
Looking at trailer websites they ask the length and weight. Is the length 22 or longer with the extended deck. What does it weigh? I am only moving to and from storage spring and fall about 8 miles away. Do I need brakes? Do I need a middle bunk? Thanks.

I have always had a trailer. If anything happens to our boat or needs to be taken in for service etc. etc.......I don't want to have to depend on anybody else to transport it. Here's some good info..... https://www.thepontoonsite.com/what-size-trailer-do-i-need-for-a-pontoon-boat/. (Sounds to me like you're going to need a 22-24 foot bunk style double axle trailer with brakes with a center support bunk)

Last edited:
I'm purchasing a 2009 2275RLI and a Mid-America tandem trailer.

The boat has 2 tubes. The catalog says the pontoon length is 22'6" and deck length is 21'11". I cannot access the boat at the moment to measure it, but I believe the aft deck may be extended.

Does anyone have experience with Mid-America trailers and know whether the "22-ft" PT-22T with 17' bunks or the "24-ft" PT-24T trailer with 19' bunks would be a better fit?

I have the MagicTilt aluminum trailer. Liking it. My first 20SLX was delivered with the MagicTilt, too. A88374F0-A9A5-4BE6-9373-A5EFD4CCE4AB.jpeg62ED0055-D63E-4E82-83B7-F4ABED547CFA.jpeg

Started out paying the dealer for storage and delivery service. Way too expensive.
How much is "too expensive"?
Our dealer provides scissor style trailer use at no charge if you store with them.
Trailers are nuts right now.
Was told of one well known brand that has increased in price 33% since November.

I went with a Yacht Club bunk trailer for a couple reasons; boat has Sealegs on it and storage. I had a couple of hydraulic lines leaking and having the boat on the trailer made it very easy to replace them (having a scissor trailer wouldn't have been possible). Storage: since I don't have a garage large enough, the bunk works for us. Just bought the trailer a couple years ago spent around $4300, more than I wanted to spend but needed one. Dealer kinda talked me out of a scissor type because they said bunk style would be a better solution for long distance towing. After seeing a few scissor type being pulled down highway with the boat all crooked and moving around, I agree, bunk works best for my needs. I have also noticed some older pontoons on scissor type going down the road kinda bowed (Decking sagging, toons hanging lower than the deck). Not for me. Pros on the scissor; my neighbor has a scissor and enough space to stuff it into garage when he puts it on rolling castors. Nice option.

I went with a Yacht Club bunk trailer for a couple reasons; boat has Sealegs on it and storage. I had a couple of hydraulic lines leaking and having the boat on the trailer made it very easy to replace them (having a scissor trailer wouldn't have been possible). Storage: since I don't have a garage large enough, the bunk works for us. Just bought the trailer a couple years ago spent around $4300, more than I wanted to spend but needed one. Dealer kinda talked me out of a scissor type because they said bunk style would be a better solution for long distance towing. After seeing a few scissor type being pulled down highway with the boat all crooked and moving around, I agree, bunk works best for my needs. I have also noticed some older pontoons on scissor type going down the road kinda bowed (Decking sagging, toons hanging lower than the deck). Not for me. Pros on the scissor; my neighbor has a scissor and enough space to stuff it into garage when he puts it on rolling castors. Nice option.
Good choice on the bunk style trailer! Much much better for towing long distance or even locally. Scissor trailers are perfect for marinas/mechanic shops for easily moving them to and from the water or moving them around their yard. I've had 2 Yacht Club trailers. Both have served us well......

I am in the same "boat". I bought a 2020 22SSRX, Yamaha 150 with SPS and extended aft deck. I want to handle my own in/out and maintenance.
Looking at trailer websites they ask the length and weight. Is the length 22 or longer with the extended deck. What does it weigh? I am only moving to and from storage spring and fall about 8 miles away. Do I need brakes? Do I need a middle bunk? Thanks.
We trailer our duck hunting pontoon 2x per year. Once from storage to the dock in September and out in November back to storage. Its less then 10 miles each way and on back county farmland roads. We opt' d to go without brakes just to keep the cost down. Its a Wolverine brand that was just under $2K new in Jackson Michigan ( 3 years ago). Our buddy at the marina sold it to us for cost..

I would however go with the 3rd bunk if you have a tritoon. As it sets there all winter, its nice to have the support on all 3 toons.

Attachments

• duck blind.jpg
    duck blind.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 18
Back