Trailer benefits?

No trailer but I have replacement coverage on the boat. So IF some big monster storm comes in and take the boat out, its taking my dock out with it, and ill be filing an insurance claim anyways for the expensive dock and replacement coverage for the boat, guess ill get a new boat if needed.

I just dont have anywhere to stow the trailer or a vehicle large enough to pull it. Dealer has a trailer to pull for maintenance when needed.
Same for us too.

For those who think you can pick up a trailer any time after you have your boat...I order the boat and the trailer on September 10 last year. Boat came in March 21...still no trailer. The trailer was ordered at the same time and the dealer told me I'd likely have the boat before the trailer. So plan on a 6 - 8 month wait to get a trailer.

I had a 8 month wait for a Boatmate trailer in 2021.

For those who think you can pick up a trailer any time after you have your boat...I order the boat and the trailer on September 10 last year. Boat came in March 21...still no trailer. The trailer was ordered at the same time and the dealer told me I'd likely have the boat before the trailer. So plan on a 6 - 8 month wait to get a trailer.
True story! When I got my new R I bought a trailer to go with it - but the trailer didn't arrive for 3 months after purchase. Luckily my dealer (claims to be) the largest in the U.S. for Bennies and had a spare trailer that they loaned me.

I only use the trailer to get the boat in and out once a year, and it stays on the trailer for storage. Handy to have for sure.

I opted not to get a trailer for my new tritoon which should be arriving soon, mainly because I will be slipping the boat in the water all season and not moving locations.

I found a few marinas on my body of water that can winter store the tritoon on blocks but many marinas require a trailer for tritoons for storage so I am a little limited with my options but I have options.

Any other reasons people like to have a trailer other than the obvious of transportation to water?
I did the same, ordered boat without trailer. Keep it on same lake and pull it out in the fall, drop back in in spring summer. However I’ve had a hell of a time finding places that have space to store, and even worse finding places that can transport the tri toon. Our lake has a damn system that drops the water a few feet at end of Sept/beginning of Oct. After 2 places bailed on me last minute I was able to get someone there well after the fall drawdown started and almost didn’t get it out. I purchased a trailer this year. So I would absolutely recommend getting one and avoid relying on anyone else.

I purchased one this year , 2 reasons . The dealership where I purchased and use for winter storage was sold . I have no clue if new owner will raise the storage fees or not ,but I suspect he will . Also when we built our home I had the garage built large enough for storage (36X42) . At last year's rates for storage it will be about a 3 year payback

After semi-recent events we are looking at moving in the trailer direction ourselves. Cannot pull it off this year, but looking at getting one next year so we can be more independent with boat‘s upkeep and winter storage. Even in outsourcing most of all it, the trailer should start to pay for itself almost immediately.

Unfortunately, I will just have to suck up another year of the status quo before going in this direction too. I just need to time it up so that we have a trailer by late summer 2023 to move in a more independent and flexible direction from there forward.

I have a slip on Lake Wisconsin but during the winter months, i store the boat on its trailer. I have it shrink wrapped for ~$250 and it then sits outside for the winter.

Its a personal choice for every reason people have made on this post. We get some crazy nice weather early on and I don't want to be at somebody's beck and call to go and drop my boat in for some early April walleye fishing and same thing for fall.

Also my closest benny dealer is 3+ hours away and there would be no way I would ever trailer something that far on a rental scissors lift trailer if I had to take it back for warranty or other work ( I know people who do it) but with 2+ hours of that on I75 and most likely no brakes on a rental trailer, its a no brainer for me.

Lastly, my trailer is stored about a 1/2 mile from our dock / launch. IF (knock on wood it never happens) and I had an emergency on the water (ie taking water on due to hitting something or a weld failure), I've got a much better chance to get her out of the water before she went down etc.

Bottom line, Just do what you are comfortable with!

Back