Trailer:

DanB

Reaction score
My 2008 2250 RL I purchased a couple months ago has a rolco trailer. It has Bennington decals on it so I assume the whole rig was purchased together. I had posted earlier about the fixing the steering. Anyway, I noticed the trailer has bunk boards of course on the two outside toons but the center toon has none just hangs there. Does that seem right? I could purchase the brackets I guess and add bunk boards for the center toon but apparently, they thought it unnecessary. What do you think? I do know this boat is a pain in the butt to load even with guide rollers. Seems to always sit a little crooked on the trailer. Thanks Dan

I remember reading an old post on this subject/question. Bennington engineers responded that it is recommended to support the center tube but it is not mandatory! I personally would want the center tube support. The center tube has the transom that the motor is attached to as well as the built in gas tank. That's a lot of weight not being supported! Also having that center support on the trailer will make it easier for you to load your boat! The center tube will catch those bunks and it will straighten everything out!

If it were just to drop it in, take it out, and travel an extremely short distance to do each seasonally, I wouldn’t be too concerned. If it’s going to be trailered and see any other road time, I’d want that center pontoon supported myself.

It isn’t necessary for lifts to support the pontoons, but I am not really sure about trailers myself. I just wouldn’t personally feel comfortable with all that weight on the center pontoon, transom/motor hanging and jostling while being towed on a 2 bunk trailer. That’s just me. I don’t trailer and tow, so this is not an experienced opinion. It is simply my comfort level, and it is totally my personal opinion.

I'd recommend a third bunk as well, but like others have said it's not strictly needed, but common sense says it could only help. I don't really think a third bunk would help with loading/unloading - for that you'd want some bunk guides (readily available on Amazon - search "trailer bunk guides") to help you keep things straight when landing. Just remember that it's going to depend on your launch, how steep it is/etc. as to how helpful any guides would be. I have/like these: https://a.co/d/j2NgAYB

Thanks for the all the feedback. I think I will add the center bunk boards. The only problem now is finding the bunk brackets that goes with this trailer. It has the lower pieces but does not have the "Y" brackets that holds the bunk boards. This is a beautiful 250HR boat. unfortunately I had to have the steering cylinder rebuilt and now because of lack of maintenance the shift dog and cable will have to be replaced because it would rattle really bad especially in reverse. We just returned from our first 5 day lake vacation with it. Great time but going to fix everything. When this done the only thing left to repair is the rpm gauge which started to read then suddenly the needle will surge then return to normal. Finding replacement factory gagues may be a problem. Thanks Dan

Check greatlakesskipper.com for older (and newer) OEM parts.

Dan I found an entire original gauge set for my old 2004 2275 RL at greatlakesskipper.com. Worth a shot!

I have been shopping (without luck) for a tritoon trailer. I may have to purchase a dual bunk and add the center bunk. Very few boat trailers for sale these days. :( I definitely won't tow with center toon unsupported.
We are a long way from you but there are a few places here in our area that sell pontoon/tritoon trailers. We are in the area of Mo,OK,Kan, Ark Grand Lake near Grove OK has several places. I'm sure you can find someone closer.

If you are looking for used that will be a challenge. We bought a Boatmate trailer for our 25' boat. It is a beast. Expensive but well built. Call them they will tell you a dealer near you.

Aluminum, galvanized, or painted frame,? Tandem axle, no brakes? Do tell where you bought it. I'm in the market myself.

I found on Facebook Marketplace here in central Florida. Painted/Powder coated frame (tubular steel), tandem axle with brakes. Like new condition with the exception of one bunk with a carpet rip. I have been checking daily for over a year, they sell really fast in this area. (I assume being center of the state).

I have been shopping (without luck) for a tritoon trailer. I may have to purchase a dual bunk and add the center bunk. Very few boat trailers for sale these days. :( I definitely won't tow with center toon unsupported.

Wish I would have known. Traded our 2019 galvanized Road King GPT 22TSEB2 in on a Hoosier hydraulic scissors trailer (made for a tritoon) that we now have. It ended up with the rep in Lakeland, but I'm sure it's gone by now. I looked at FB Marketplace to gauge the market for selling a used one and just decided to take a bit less and not deal with storing two trailers for any length of time. If you are still shopping, I would recommend a Road King for a well designed and built bunk style tritoon trailer. It was nice!

BTW - The reason we went with the new trailer: We had been able to store previous 'toons on bunk trailers in our large garage; however, the raised helm station on our SSX22 meant that the new boat would not clear the door opening. The scissors trailer fixed that problem. Just lower it a bit, roll it in without taking anything apart and raise it again once inside. Slick! We don't trailer any distance, so the reduced stability of the scissors style is not an issue.

Last edited:
Back