Yamaha 4 stroke 150HP - Parking on Pneumatic Lift Question

joanello

Reaction score
When parking my tritoon on the pneumatic lift, should I leave my outboard motor at 0 degrees trim? I was using about 30 degrees trim, and I sense that maybe a mistake. I say this because, I notice blue smoke coming out after starting... I sense some oil may have by-passed the rings parking the motor at 30 degrees trim. I have since used 0 degrees trim for parking the motor and the blue smoke no longer occurs after starting. The motor has 40 hours.

My boat mechanic has always told me to leave the motor trimmed all the way down when not in use. This is what I do, works well, lasts long time

If your on a lift and keeping the motor at 0* trim allows the lower unit to be out the water, that's what I would do. Since we're at a sea-wall, we have to tilt our motors up all the way and use the transom saver / hyd cylinder support bar to take pressure off the trim / tilt pistons.
Have never had a blue smoke puffs (except on my old carb'd 250hp Johnson) :cool:

The rams that are extended when motor is up, get dirty/corrosion on them and then when the ram is retracted, the seals get damaged. Always better to keep that metal bathed in the hydraulic fluid and staying clean. Especially near saltwater this is important.

OK... thanks. Makes sense for the health of the trim system, but can oil seep past the cylinder rings (causing the blue smoke) when trim is selected up? I'm trying to make sure I don't have a bad cylinder ring. Engine is still under warranty.

Yes it can if rings are not sealing. The smoke is not normal and does indicate oil in the cylinder(s). I would use Yamaha ring free plus in fuel and see if it cleans it up. Just make sure you don’t go past warranty time period. May be a good idea for a oil sample analysis, making sure fuel is not in oil. Look at some YouTube videos.

Thank you. Interestingly, since I started keeping the motor at zero trim the smoke during start has stopped. However, it doesn't seem normal to have blue smoke at any time even if the motor is stored with trim up... the motor only has 40 hours.

However, it doesn't seem normal to have blue smoke at any time even if the motor is stored with trim up... the motor only has 40 hours.
Agreed. Motor only has 40 hours, how old is the boat? Newer, or something older that wasn’t used very often at all? If older, and not used very often, I can see seals going bad. However, if a newer boat with 40 hours on it, then there really shouldn’t be an issue such as this.

I'd echo the sentiment above... get the motor checked out, that's not normal. Further, while I agree with the sentiment of the pistons getting exposed, the growth and salt damage on the prop and entire lower unit far exceeds any risks to the hydraulics.

Outboard manufacturers expect boats to be stored with the motor trimmed up and out of the water and design for it.

I agree you have to lift engine if it’s in the water. His is on a lift out of water, and motor is best left down.

I agree you have to lift engine if it’s in the water. His is on a lift out of water, and motor is best left down.

Totally agree.. sorry for the lack of context, laziness on my part... i'll blame it on not enough coffee... ;)

wanted to make sure prior comments don't lead someone else astray. Definitely save the stress on all the parts and leave trimmed down if on a lift.

thanks all for the info on this thread. I learned something. My boat is on a lift during the summer months, but i always lifted my motor all the way up when storing it. This weekend i will stop doing that, so the oil stays at the bottom of the motor.

I have a Merc 350 Verado and keep my motor trimmed most of the way up to keep the engine cowl under the lift's canopy. So far so good and no adverse affects, but I only have 65 hours on the boat.

I have a Merc 350 Verado and keep my motor trimmed most of the way up to keep the engine cowl under the lift's canopy. So far so good and no adverse affects, but I only have 65 hours on the boat.
You need to get out and put that beast to good use!

Back