Best Stump-Resistant Hulls?

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
I'm curious about opinions on which type of hull is most resistant to damage by a submerged stump - particularly from owners who have had both aluminum pontoons and fiberglass hulls (such as twin-hull deck-style boats).

I know there are lots of variables - how old (soft) is the stump, how fast was the boat going, what angle is the stump struck, where on the hull, etc. Obviously, at a high enough speed any hull will be damaged. But if we assume the driver knows they are in dangerous waters and are going at idle speed but still slide up and over a submerged stump... which hull will have least damage?

My experience has not been good on two occasions with our 2007 2575RL Bennington - which has the rough-water option (don't know if that includes thicker aluminum). The first mishap was a sideways wind-drift that floated us over a stump (engine in neutral, so no momentum at all). The wind pushed the bow around and we floated off - and had a 2-inch split at the bottom-stern of the hull that had to be welded closed. The second time we were in a 25-foot deep channel at no-wake speed and went over the top of a submerged tree (the Garmin painted a very pretty picture of it - afterwards!) It was a relatively gentle bump that put a 8-inch wide, 1-inch deep dent in the bottom-stern of the hull (yes, same one) and peeled open six inches of the weld-seam of the end cap. Both times were on Lake Livingston in TX, a lake to which I will no longer go!

I have a friend buying a house at the very stump-infested north end of Lake Livingston and said he wants to buy a pontoon boat - and asked my thoughts. I told him the northern end is limited to marked channels but even at that, there are 'floaters' to worry about - submerged trees that break loose and float 6" below the surface. I suggested he do a lot of research on hull types.

What are your thoughts on hull-type for this situation? They want a big open boat - a party boat, not a john-boat etc.
This is a case were damage-resistance probably should be the primary consideration.

Yeah, rear mounted transducers aren’t real valuable for forward obstructions. I’m always leery in the shallows on our lake.

The DGS Monster is your boat. Run it right into the rocks, stumps, doesn't matter. I've been on it, crazy construction, virtually indestructible. They're building a 22' single now as well.

DGS Monster

I’ve seen some river jet boats that jump stumps etc. one of those would be cool but not for a lake cruise.

The DGS Monster is your boat. Run it right into the rocks, stumps, doesn't matter. I've been on it, crazy construction, virtually indestructible. They're building a 22' single now as well.

DGS Monster
How much do they run Tom? Every one I look up has.... Request Price next to it?!?

Damn.......Lot of boat!

Shoulda had some Flex Seal .... :p

1604100624309.jpeg

How much do they run Tom? Every one I look up has.... Request Price next to it?!?
Depends on many options and configuration. I think the twin 300 28' I was on was in the $250-300k range well equipped. For LEO agencies that's a bargain. They buy Metalcraft here for local LEO which are quite a bit more. There is a video of them driving it into some huge rocks on shore five or six times, nary a ding in the hull.

Amazing construction when you see it up close. At the show, the company owner pulled a big Milwaukee battery sander out of a locker. Smacked the tubes several times on top with a framing hammer, handed it to us and said try yourself, then proceeded to sand it out in about a minute. You couldn't tell it was there. Brilliant.

I’ve seen some river jet boats that jump stumps etc. one of those would be cool but not for a lake cruise.
Many of them have UHMW sheeting affixed to the bottoms and as you noted, they go over rocks, stumps etc. like there was nothing there. I regularly fish with guys on the upper Susquehanna that these (Rock Proof, River Pro, Snyder, Alumaryder) and it’s almost required equipment when running low water.

I wonder if UHMW could be attached to a pontoon? Personally I wouldn’t have any pontoon running anywhere where there could be shallow stumps or shoals, just not worth the risk. Plenty of water elsewhere to enjoy.

Back