Can a new 22' 150hp tritoon be bought for $40k?

Topriver

Reaction score
I'm wondering in this crazy market if it is even possible to buy a 22' 150hp tritoon for $40k? If not, what can one expect to pay?

I think the short answer unfortunately is no, not possible. You can use the Bennington website boat builder to see an estimate of prices. I just tried building a 22ft tritoon S model with 150hp without clicking any other options and you're already at 56k. Crazy prices. Good luck

I'm wondering in this crazy market if it is even possible to buy a 22' 150hp tritoon for $40k? If not, what can one expect to pay?
I am not 100% it was possible with the Bennington lineup in 2017 when we bought ours. I think the cheapest Bennington Tritoons with 150’s were between $40-45 then. And $56k now with no other options on the cheapest end is a tough purchase. Likely going to be a couple/few options either wanted or needed to make it fully fit with intended uses and wants that then push it north of $60k.

Last edited:
In December 2017 my dealer had a 22ssrx premium with sps and equipped very well for just less than 40k. That same boat today would be an L series and probably be around 60k. So I think a new zero options other than sps package and a 150 S series 22 foot would be close to 50k.

18 months ago it was definitely doable, today's world I don't think so. But I would be curious what the numbers really are today??

It can be done if you're willing to make a couple of concessions on the specs.

tinytoon-2.jpg

My 2014 24 with sps and a 200 was less than $40k when ordered in 2013. That’s the reason I’m not itching to replace it. Would probably cost me close to double that now.

Are we thinking this is what the pricing are going to be for the long-term? I'm happy to wait if, in a couple years or so, we think the prices will go back down.

Are we thinking this is what the pricing are going to be for the long-term? I'm happy to wait if, in a couple years or so, we think the prices will go back down.
Repeat after me. New boats are not going down. It just doesn't work that way. With the highest prices ever, they are breaking sales records. I had a regional sales manager tell me a couple weeks ago that anyone waiting thinking prices will go down in a couple years is making a big mistake. Used ones might, but not new ones.

Highly doubtful. In my industry, hard goods may level out and hold, but no belief they will go down.

I am going to go out on a limb and say........No . Having ordered 4 Benningtons in a 9 year span .3 of which were ordered before the supply chain issues . The motor alone ( 250 Verado ) on the one I ordered in August of 2021 lists for more than I paid for a 2013 22 SLX .

Just in case you were not aware ,below is a link to the Bennington build site .

I built a 22 S ,2 options ,SPS hull ( required for a 150 ) and the lowest cost Yamaha 150
It may be possible with the Twin Elliptical Freshwater Performance Package "IF" you can find a dealer that would give you 20% off
MSRP

:
$48,622 Elliptical

MSRP

:
$54,708 SPS

From an article at the start of this year about another pontoon boat topic was this little gem of a quote:

“The pontoon boat market has [grown] 20 percent in 2021 and is expected to double in size again, reaching a projected $4.09 billion by 2028 (up from “just” $2.13 billion in 2021), growing at a CAGR of 9.7% from now until then.”

I don’t believe prices are going to go down at all. I am skeptical they will level out much in the short run with all these record sales, and projections for sales to double in the next 6 years.

If market projections hold true, they’ll probalby climb solely based on that. Add in material shortages and supply chain disruptions, and they might climb even more rapidly during unpredictable times.

If we get a raise in interest rates? Or increasing fuel costs? Perhaps these factors could quell some of it, but big ticket items usually hold price at best. This is the variable that might help, but I am not sure it can be counted on with the type of market predictions that are out there with pontoons and Tritoons, as well as their motors.

How about used pontoons and Tritoons? Key to me is new production. If new production doesn’t meet this growing demand, then I don‘t see used prices getting much better. Like cars, if you cannot get your hands on something new when ready to buy, and if you see the purchase as time sensitive (perhaps due to your own increasing age, or wanting one before you own children grow up), then you are more apt to spend big now to get a decent used one when a new one is not available…keeping those prices driven up. Kind of like the used car conundrum now.

Not to be all negative here, but if interested in a pontoon or tritoon, I personally think each annual 1/4 is probably going to be better than the next for some time. Factor in a creep upward in interest rates if securing a loan for the purchase, then the sooner the better IMHO.

Last edited:
I've been offered $40k over what I bought my boat for in 2020 (2021 model year), and I sold my 2011 RCW with a 115 for the same price as it was purchased for new. The market is bonkers right now.

I think used is going to come down as all the cabin-fever/first-timers/bought-on-a-whim-purchasers realize that boat ownership is spendy and not what they initially thought it would be. BUT, that's going to take a couple years (IMO).

My aunt already indicated they are selling their rv after two years. Maybe the same will happen with others as mentioned above

We have plenty of Marina's where I live and all of them have very long waiting lists. Our marina has 420 slips and there is a waiting list of over 100 people. Some people leave and new people come in but the wait list continues to remain over 100, (I know because I have a friend who is on the list). We bought our first boat not because of the boat but because it came with the slip. I just don't see prices coming down any time soon. Our Benny dealer is selling them as fast as he can get them.

I've been offered $40k over what I bought my boat for in 2020 (2021 model year), and I sold my 2011 RCW with a 115 for the same price as it was purchased for new. The market is bonkers right now.

I think used is going to come down as all the cabin-fever/first-timers/bought-on-a-whim-purchasers realize that boat ownership is spendy and not what they initially thought it would be. BUT, that's going to take a couple years (IMO).

Last edited:
This market is crazy. I bought a 2011 22’ GCW Bennington tritoon with a 2012 150hp Yamaha in late 2016 for 26,500. Trailer as well. Motor had 280 hours at the time. This can’t keep up.

My aunt already indicated they are selling their rv after two years. Maybe the same will happen with others as mentioned above
RVs are just like boats. Prices are going up, up, and up. We were told last fall, and are every time we look, that the one we like now will be higher when the next one hits the lot.

Back