Can a new 22' 150hp tritoon be bought for $40k?

There is a city / town on the west side of Lake Michigan, that since last October is pulling 8 million gallons a day . They are " supposed " to be replacing it with treated waste water. But from what I have seen and read, any body of water attached to the Great Lakes is low.
Levels are also low due to no ice cover this season.

I'll have to get out this weekend and get eyes on myself... the last 4-5 years on Lake Erie levels have been at near record highs, and almost washing out facilities at the state park beaches...

I've been offered $25K in trade in on our 2011 2275 RCW with 140 hours on the 150hp Pro XS from 2 dealers with the twin 32" elip tubes and sealed lifting strakes, full waveshield, all factory LED lighting (underwater, side, cupholder, interior and bimni top), faux teak rear decking, raised helm, rough water package, and a whole bunch of other upgrades. Could I get more selling on my own, probably. But its just not worth the effort for me since my boat is in indoor storage 2 hours away from my home and have to take time off to show it etc.

Sadly, I am thinking of taking these offers and moving to a Yamaha AR240 or AR250 twin engine jet boat because of Mother Nature and our horrid water levels where I boat on Saginaw Bay / Lake Huron in Michigan. 3 years ago water levels were over over our seawalls and now I have less then 12" of water our dock. As an original member of the club (joined in April of 2011), this makes me very sad. Will miss this group. But I can't afford to not be without a boat for this summer.
FWIW, I'd try FB Marketplace before trading - I had pretty much your exact boat, albeit lower options (115, no LEDs, standard toons) and sold it for $38k on FB. Granted it was mid-covid, but you should be able to do better than 25.

FWIW, I'd try FB Marketplace before trading - I had pretty much your exact boat, albeit lower options (115, no LEDs, standard toons) and sold it for $38k on FB. Granted it was mid-covid, but you should be able to do better than 25.
To the OP, this is what I would do in your shoes as well.

In a perfect world, you're absolutely correct I could get more money on FB marketplace, boat trader etc. The problem lies in I live 100 miles from where the boat is located. So any type of showing requires a 4 hour round trip visit Then those people who want to do a water test when the boat is still in indoor storage or at least running the motor on muffs, then asking the storage facility to pull it in and out with every showing, just becomes a logistical nightmare in my mind.

The other problem is with the availability of the new boats. The new and used jet boats sell the day or so they are listed and then you are waiting for the next order which maybe June or August when they show up.

We had a guy run a 12 foot john boat with 10hp go out last week when we hit 70 degrees and on the East side of the channel markers going out to the bay was 12" and 24" on the west portion of the channel for water depth.

So we made the decision to put a deposit on a new Yamaha twin engine jet boat. I got veto'd on color as I wanted the black and white but the wife and kids wanted the blue. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Just sad that mother nature took me away from our beloved Benny we've had for 13 years.

Attachments

• Black and white Yamaha.jpg
    Black and white Yamaha.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 21
  • Blue Yamaha.JPG
    Blue Yamaha.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 21
In a perfect world, you're absolutely correct I could get more money on FB marketplace, boat trader etc. The problem lies in I live 100 miles from where the boat is located. So any type of showing requires a 4 hour round trip visit Then those people who want to do a water test when the boat is still in indoor storage or at least running the motor on muffs, then asking the storage facility to pull it in and out with every showing, just becomes a logistical nightmare in my mind.

The other problem is with the availability of the new boats. The new and used jet boats sell the day or so they are listed and then you are waiting for the next order which maybe June or August when they show up.

We had a guy run a 12 foot john boat with 10hp go out last week when we hit 70 degrees and on the East side of the channel markers going out to the bay was 12" and 24" on the west portion of the channel for water depth.

So we made the decision to put a deposit on a new Yamaha twin engine jet boat. I got veto'd on color as I wanted the black and white but the wife and kids wanted the blue. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Just sad that mother nature took me away from our beloved Benny we've had for 13 years.
Looks good Todd!!! Now Saginaw Bay/Lake Huron is going to have the storm or storms of the century and the water level will fill right up! Ha!

Looks good Todd!!! Now Saginaw Bay/Lake Huron is going to have the storm or storms of the century and the water level will fill right up! Ha!
Thanks Daril,
Knowing my luck your absolutely right and the new boat will setting on top of my lawn by the end of summer :cool:

Thanks Daril,
Knowing my luck your absolutely right and the new boat will setting on top of my lawn by the end of summer :cool:

I just saw in Car and Driver that Yamaha is releasing a new 1.9L 200hp I4 made for jet boats amongst others. Did you spec yours with this, or not an option yet?

I just saw in Car and Driver that Yamaha is releasing a new 1.9L 200hp I4 made for jet boats amongst others. Did you spec yours with this, or not an option yet?
The model we purchased only comes with the twin 3cyl TR1 engines (115hp each). Yamaha did replace the 1.8L HO 180hp motors with the new 1.9L HO motor 200hp and added a 1.9L HO supercharged motor at 250hp. I could have got a 22 footer with single 1.9 HO or 1.9 HO supercharged, but I really wanted twins and to jump up to a model that had the twin 1.9L 200hp's, was with a 25 footer

Reviews have been very well recieved on the 1.9L engines. Especially the guys who are running the center console fishing boat lineup. The top of the line 25 foot center console with the twin supercharged 1.9L even have joystick controls for docking.
Todd

Was up at the cottage last weekend. Water is even worse. This is the stairs we have between our new seawall and our neighbors wooden seawall. This is where we launch the paddle boards and such. The water level was to the 3rd stair up from the bottom last year.

Got the Benny all cleaned up minus the acid wash of the toons as it was too cold to do so. Still have the brand new canvas and bimini top in the box as I never got around to installing them. Put on 4 new wheels and tires as II don't feel comfortable towing 100 miles to the dealer who's buying it on trade in. Plus I don't believe it selling somebody something that I would not be comfortable using. Cost me a few bucks, but I feel better at night that the new owners won't have to deal with it. They were 13 year old tires and I guess I should be happy I got that many years out of them.
Towing it this Saturday to Howell from Caseville and if all goes well, we'll be signing on the new boat the following weekend and then picking up the new boat on the 27th.

Attachments

• Water level.jpg
    Water level.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Tires and wheels 1.jpg
    Tires and wheels 1.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Tires and wheels 2.jpg
    Tires and wheels 2.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 26
13 yrs on the tires? Yup I would have been on pins and needles towing that boat! Definitely time to replace! Your boat is still in great shape!!!

13 yrs on the tires? Yup I would have been on pins and needles towing that boat! Definitely time to replace! Your boat is still in great shape!!!
Thanks Daril. Unlike Indiana Jones, it was the years vs the mileage that killed them. :cool:
Less then 800 miles in those 13 years.

Thanks Daril. Unlike Indiana Jones, it was the years vs the mileage that killed them. :cool:
Less then 800 miles in those 13 years.
I understand. I have friends with RV's that don't use them! They have under 5000 miles on them and their tires are dry rotted.

My buddies 1 ton Duramax made quick work of towing the Benny 120 miles to the dealer today. Couldn't even feel it behind the truck.
Builder moved our dock lower on the brackets, but holy cow is the water crazy low.
We pick up the new boat on April 27th.

Attachments

• Dock lowered.jpeg
    Dock lowered.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Pic at Caseville.jpeg
    Pic at Caseville.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Pic at Howell.jpeg
    Pic at Howell.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 25
My buddies 1 ton Duramax made quick work of towing the Benny 120 miles to the dealer today. Couldn't even feel it behind the truck.
Builder moved our dock lower on the brackets, but holy cow is the water crazy low.
We pick up the new boat on April 27th.
Exciting! The water level around here is high with some rivers past flood stage. Can’t wait to see pictures of your new boat.

weird the Great Lakes water levels fluctuate as much as they do. Luckily I’m connected to the biggest water body so it is predictable here. Enjoy the jet boat Todd

I cleaned mine up this weekend and did the annual maintenance. Still cleans up nice!

Attachments

• IMG_5273.jpeg
    IMG_5273.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
weird the Great Lakes water levels fluctuate as much as they do. Luckily I’m connected to the biggest water body so it is predictable here. Enjoy the jet boat Todd

I cleaned mine up this weekend and did the annual maintenance. Still cleans up nice!
SHe looks beautiful. Well done on keeping her in pristine condition!!!

Andy ,last October a city in Wisconsin started pulling 8.1 Million gallons a day from Lake Michigan ( their fresh water supply went bad ) . Levels are way down, they are supposed to be replacing it with waste water ,but It doesn't appear to be happening , with the levels down as much as they are .

Interesting. Who has rights to the shared lake water given all the lakes are connected?

I read a while back , any state or Canada that has shoreline on that lake .

Beautiful boat. Who applied your registration letters and numbers on the side?

Back