Correct Prop Questions,

DurtyMaxUSMC

Reaction score
I currently own a 2016 Bennington 2550 RSR Fast Back Cladded Arch, with a 2016 Yamaha F300 motor on it, I am looking for thoughts on switching to a Four-blade prop from the current Three-blade. I am currently running the Yamaha Saltwater series II prop, has anyone swapped this and has it made a difference. I am just looking for a little more hole-shot power is all.
Any Input is welcomed.
thank you

I've heard of others on the board having good luck/info from https://www.yamahapropselector.com/ - it's an interactive tool to help you find the best option for your setup. Good luck!

A four blade prop will give you a little more bite in the corners and slightly better hole shot but more than likely you MIGHT lose a little top end speed…my experience has been 3-4 mph. I have always ended up going back to the 3 blade.

Good Luck and report back if you make the change with results!

Dan

A four blade prop will give you a little more bite in the corners and slightly better hole shot but more than likely you MIGHT lose a little top end speed…my experience has been 3-4 mph. I have always ended up going back to the 3 blade.

Good Luck and report back if you make the change with results!

Dan
Thank you Dan - have you ever taken notice of low speed performance gains when docking using a 4 blade? I have seen a couple of posts suggesting the 4 blades perform much better, which makes some sense....but yet to find someone that can confirm with real life use....

I have a LL21 SPS package with the Yamaha 150 and 14.5X15 SS 3 blade, I have a floating home on the Columbia river with a garage. The problem is cross current when pulling in. Prior to my Bennington I had a ski boat and went from a 3 blade SS to a 4 blade SS. There was a significant difference in the handling of the V hull in cross current and hole shot. I'm going to go to a 4 bald with the toon to see how it handles. I spoke to the prop god and he suggested to try both 14.25X15 or the 14.75X13. I'm trying to lose as little top end as possible. Right now I get 41 mph 2 people at 5850 RPM. I'm hoping the 14.25X15 will bit better and lose very little top end with the RPMs not exceeding 6100. If the RPMS go to high I'll just have to sacrifice top end and go with the 14.75X13. I will post the results later this spring

I have not noticed any discernible difference when docking using a four blade over a three. Then again, I have not used my boat in tidal waters where a difference may be noticeable. I am on a large lake and have tested numerous props mainly for top speed and cornering bite…. One other thing is if your pontoon is mostly loaded down with a lot of people all the time, a four blade would be better in my opinion…if it’s just you and your significant other, I would stick with a three…

Just my thoughts and good luck!

Dan

I have not noticed any discernible difference when docking using a four blade over a three. Then again, I have not used my boat in tidal waters where a difference may be noticeable. I am on a large lake and have tested numerous props mainly for top speed and cornering bite…. One other thing is if your pontoon is mostly loaded down with a lot of people all the time, a four blade would be better in my opinion…if it’s just you and your significant other, I would stick with a three…

Just my thoughts and good luck!

Dan
Believe me living on a big river with a decent current, especially with the spring snow run off from the Cascade Mt going all the way up to BC Canada, a 4 blade makes a world of difference in handling. I agree with more people on the boat a 4 blade keeps the speed up. thanks for the feed back

Blade area is a big determinant in performance and not all props are created equal in this respect. You may be able to use a "fat" eared 3-blade prop like an ECO Enertia or Mirage Plus to get similar results of a 4 blade. Some of us run regular Enertia props that have less diameter than some equivalent pitched props, but they accomplish their performance using more rake and more blade area.

A 4 bladed prop will normally have more blade area so that can be an easy solution, but just throwing out that there can be other solutions as well. Things like making sure the OB is well-maintained, hull is clean and crud-free, proper engine mounting height and reducing weight in the boat can all help.

Back