Express tube added between eliptical

The 200 horse will feel like a Ferrari compared to the 70. We went from a 2013 22 sslx with a 115 to the one we have now with sps and a 200. Night and day difference! Either way I bet you will enjoy it and am happy to see you have realistic expectations going into this.

Is the dealer removing the strakes from the outside of the outer toons?

Just be careful turning too hard. Isn't that what caused that one to flip a couple years back?

Just be careful turning too hard. Isn't that what caused that one to flip a couple years back?
Yes, something along these lines happened in testing ~10 miles from my house, though not a Bennington.

I spoke to both Bennington and Manitou engineers at their factories about this "tripping" concern before I bought my boat. Both were quite aware of why and how this happens and assured me their hull designs mitigated it. Of course, "field modifications" wouldn't fall into that, unless they were to approve it through testing.

This is great information you all share. I am not a speed demon daredevil( in my fifties ) and very careful for my passengers safety. Straight line may be nice to open up, but never a hard turn at any speed that would flip it. No fun in that. To much paper work, hospitals bill and lawyers. Again this is a really interesting topic to review. I appreciate you guys for your input. Mostly tubing and water skiing is the goal with looking forward to having the kids not say "is this all you got, can't it go faster." All I started to hear with the old toon. Hope this quiets this statement going forward. As I tell the kids it really doesn't take a lot of speed on the water to get hurt. To fast and it feels like you hit the black top. Safety - Safety is the name of the game. Not to mention the wife and I are looking forward to being empty nesters. I don't want to end up taking care of my kids if I raddle their brains/ bodies to the point we end up being nurse maids and they never leave.....

It's a very interesting idea. I've never heard of any similar configuration in the real world. Please come back and tell us how it goes. One other thing that might be an issue is the overall buoyancy and how that might affect where your engine is mounted. Typically the engine is all the way down on the motor pod. You'll have more flotation than just about anything, so I wonder if all the way down will be down far enough to avoid cavitation. 

That is interesting that you bring that up...the dealer doesnt think it would be much of a issue. Time will tell. My other toon the motor was mounted one hole up from the bottom on the pod. When reading Yamaha performance bulletin it said hole # 1. I brought that up to the dealer and he said leave in along. Sometimes it is just hard to figure out what answer are true from dealers and sometime just so easy.. They hate to be corrected if it causes them rework. I will definitely be back with updates as this experiment plays out.

If spending the $$$'s I would go with a bigger motor. I have a 2015 2375 RCW with Elliptical pkg and Evinrude Etec 250 G2. Although I love the boat and motor if done again I would go with the 300.

Dealer. He thinks it will plan very fast with the extra surface area applied to the water and will turn better than just the ellipticals a lone.
Sounds to me like he is gambling with your chips.

A 2375 G is rated to take a 300 with the ESP package. 200 with SPS. That rating comes down to how much buoyancy you've got (I assume), so considering you'll have more than an ESP has, you should be able to do a 300. Getting Bennington to re-sticker it would be the tough part. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A 2375 G is rated to take a 300 with the ESP package. 200 with SPS. That rating comes down to how much buoyancy you've got (I assume), so considering you'll have more than an ESP has, you should be able to do a 300. Getting Bennington to re-sticker it would be the tough part. 
I suspect the transom/reinforcement and strength of the center tube structure on the ESP probably has a lot to do with the rating.

Dealer called today and said will be ready for pickup Friday, BUTafter taking off the wave shield and holding up the express toon to bolt it on they notice they had the wrong toon with 24 inch spacers instead of 16 like I need. They ordered it and it will be in plus or minus ten days. In the mean time I will pick it up and use it until they call me to bring it back in. So it will be a good chance to test it for straight speed and mild turning ability. Then test again once the toon is installed. I will post what I find out just in case somebody else thought about or thinks about it. They will have my stats to review. For gains or losses. So I am happy to be able now to have a chance to do before and after stats.

Videos during speed testing would be cool!! That will give a good side by side comparison, especially if you can set up tour runs same place, conditions, etc....

Looking forward to your results.  Along with top speed, if you care to, you could time your acceleration from 0 to 20 MPH (or 40!) on each hull.  I think the Express tube will pop you up on plane quicker which could give you a better hole shot.  At rest, I would say my boat (with Express) sits at least a foot higher in front compared to the back, and when I hit the throttle with some trim, the front end almost instantly jumps up about 3 feet (so much that that I can't see the horizon unless I'm standing at the helm) for a few seconds until it starts to plane off.  It's fun to see people's expression when they are sitting at the far front end of the "pontoon" boat for the first time and the front end jumps up in the air.

Back