JaccFrost

Reaction score
Since this is on a pontoon and mostly only inland lakes and sometimes out the pier to lake Michigan, the need for Navionics cartography isn't really necessary, is it?

I know I want down imaging. But would the additional map from Navionics really benefit me?

Probably not.  The only reason to get the additional map obviously is if you need more detail.  I've got the Garmin 53dv on my boat and the chart plotter is very detailed.  There are additional more detailed maps that are available where I mostly boat (Lake Havasu) but I don't really need them.  For just cruising around and occasional fishing it's plenty adequate.  I could see the additional stuff if you were into diving or fishing wrecks.  I just use the MOB to save various waypoints and landmarks that aren't already loaded on my chart plotter.  I then just edit and rename them to my liking.

I am looking at the Humminbird Helix 5 DI/GPS (model number 409620-1). Looks like it will cover my needs well. Find a great price on it too (less than $300 NIB).

I ordered the helix 5 (model number 409620-1) with gps, sonar, and down imaging. Most places want $350+ and I got it for $296 w/ free shipping. Can hardly wait to get it set up. Next, need to figure out where I want it. Gimbal mount v. Surface mount. Decisions decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys have trolling motors?  Have you considered the i-pilot link?  It connects certain Navi's with the trolling motor (Minn Kota I-Pilot) to auto pilot courses!  I'm considering upgrading mine this year, and my father in-law was drooling over the down-view options.  

This would also save a fortune on gas during those nightly crawls around the lake :)

Do you guys have trolling motors?  Have you considered the i-pilot link?  It connects certain Navi's with the trolling motor (Minn Kota I-Pilot) to auto pilot courses!  I'm considering upgrading mine this year, and my father in-law was drooling over the down-view options.  

This would also save a fortune on gas during those nightly crawls around the lake :)
I do not have a trolling motor. I personally not willing to sacrifice the floor space for it and I think for our use, it wouldn't get much use and end up only being more holes in my boat.

FYI for those that are interested. I stopped by my local Cabelas store today and picked up the 53DV for $279.00 as part of their door busters sale. As of a few minutes ago, it was still listed for the same price on their website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have  bought an old for $279 .Since they are sold out , I am going to buy the chirp version .IF I can get one in time .

Going to measure Monday ,Garmin sent me a Template for the Echomap chirp 73 dv .

If if fits I'll get the 7 inch .

Looking at the template ,It doesn't look like it will fit 

Jack,

I really doubt the 73 would fit in the dash.  The 53 fits with not a lot of extra room.  I guess mine is the chirp model because it does chirp when it sees what it thinks is a fish.  When it first started doing it I thought maybe it had a smoke detector on it too, lol.

I dont think it will either ,but as long as I have the template and going to measure .Why not look ? :D

Jack,

I really doubt the 73 would fit in the dash.  The 53 fits with not a lot of extra room.  I guess mine is the chirp model because it does chirp when it sees what it thinks is a fish.  When it first started doing it I thought maybe it had a smoke detector on it too, lol.

Oh yeah absolutely.  Get the biggest screen you can.  If the 73 would fit, I'd change mine out to one just for the larger screen.

Is the installation kit that you buy for in dash mounting only a two sided sticky gasket / seal? Or is there something more in those. The one for my humminbird ranges $35-$50 and if that is all that it is, I think I can find a cheaper alternative.

Back