Cool.  If so, that will make the install a snap.  I'm sure you're going to really like that Garmin unit.  I love mine.

Great Unit .Really glad I got one .

Here's one mounting idea where the holes will not show...and despite what my wide-angle lens makes it appear like, my Helix 7 does NOT get in the way of my view at all.  I now have the ChartSelect maps for Bull Shoals Lake on it, and love the detail it gives me.  I do not know if the Helix 5 will accept a ChartSelect map or not, however. 

PM me if you'd like more pics and details on the mounting system.

412725615.jpg

412731486.jpg

Does anyone have photos of the sonar unit installation with the garmin? Im curious where on the transom mount you bolted it and if you have the SPS, where you ran the cable back to the helm? My boat is fully skinned on the bottom and i would hate to screw into it!

Im worried because my mount doesnt sit on the waterline. 

Thank you!

https://goo.gl/photos/yy5brNRM8HG4HPrY6

This is how mine is set up. I also replied to your pm. I do not have the spa package or the wave shield. I will though, add my own wave shield in the near future. My transducer is currently flipped up for added protection during the off season.

Not sure if you actually mean sonar or if what you actually mean it's the transducer. I do not have a sonar unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's a sonar unit. I have the Garmin  54dv. Your transom bracket is exactly where I thought my should be. Is it a defect that the welded it so high up on the toon, that the bottom of it doesn't touch the water? I will send a pic in a few weeks when I pull it out of storage. 

Yes it's a sonar unit. I have the Garmin  54dv. Your transom bracket is exactly where I thought my should be. Is it a defect that the welded it so high up on the toon, that the bottom of it doesn't touch the water? I will send a pic in a few weeks when I pull it out of storage. 

I do not know what I was thinking. I read sonar, but my brain was thinking radar.. I think it is because I was looking at radar units the other day because my wife and I are considering a larger boat with a cabin that will run a radar as well. I do have a sonar on my Benny though.

It does seem strange that the bracket does sit in the water. That is usually where the live-well pump gets mounted and obviously that needs water. I suppose you could always attach a bracket to that mounting location to extend it into the water.

You showed me exactly what I needed. Thank you. I ordered the 10ft extension cable and some stainless steel clips with rubber grommets in them. I will use these to secure the cable by screwing them to the underside of the starboard side deck ( right under the rail). I'm going to reuse the hole my sink drain tube extends through, then right up to the chart plotter. 

Im going to mount mine into the helm just like you did. That's looks sweet. Thanks. 

You showed me exactly what I needed. Thank you. I ordered the 10ft extension cable and some stainless steel clips with rubber grommets in them. I will use these to secure the cable by screwing them to the underside of the starboard side deck ( right under the rail). I'm going to reuse the hole my sink drain tube extends through, then right up to the chart plotter. 

Im going to mount mine into the helm just like you did. That's looks sweet. Thanks. 

You're welcome and glad I could help.

Does anyone have photos of the sonar unit installation with the garmin? Im curious where on the transom mount you bolted it and if you have the SPS, where you ran the cable back to the helm? My boat is fully skinned on the bottom and i would hate to screw into it!

Im worried because my mount doesnt sit on the waterline. 

Thank you!

Are you sure it's not below water line? Standard are on port side toon. Starboard toon may have "ladder brackets", but a transducer bracket on starboard side should be optional by request. I paid extra to have one installed on starboard toon. 

If you order the salt water package you get one on each toon as well. 

Back