Mooring Cover Support Poles

GWLK

Reaction score
Hey all, I just got a new mooring cover and was wondering what is the general rule of thumb to achieve the proper height for the mooring cover support poles. Don't want to overextend them and place undo stress on the cover. Thanks in advance for the info.

Mine go up all the way as well.

I install the cover, climb under and go from front to back, and raise the poles until they're snug. After you do that the first time and are confident the poles are high enough to keep water from pooling, take a permanent marker and label them 1/2/3/4 so you don't need to reset them each time. Easy peasy.

Good luck!

I set mine once (cover taut but not stretched) and pop them out extended. Haven’t changed them in 7 years.

I collapse mine every time ,my wife lays them out while I unroll the cover . When i crawl under to set the poles they are where I need them. I put the pole in the vent release the pole ,lock it in place then do the rest on my way out .

I never crawl under the cover. In KY you would get heat stroke doing that.

That is one of my regrets about a black cover ( and when the rain runs off on a white boat ) , I have to use garden pads or I burn my knees

I never crawl under the cover. In KY you would get heat stroke doing that.
Wimp....try Havasu... LOL. I just have no where to put extended poles, but I have kids I can send under - they come out with a bit of sweat!

We keep the cover and the collapsed poles between the co-captains seat and rear lounge . Fits perfectly.

We keep the cover and the collapsed poles between the co-captains seat and rear lounge . Fits perfectly.
Perfect spot! I use that area for 2 bins full of shoes, towels, sunscreen and food.....LOL. But, I go out for 10 to 12 hour days.....

Now that we keep our boat in an enclosed building we still put the cover on and snap it but we don't need to use the support poles. The purpose of the cover is to keep the dust out from the forklifts going in and out of the bldg! The only time I'll use the poles is when I give the boat a good wash or if I just rinse all of the dust off of the cover.....

Now that we keep our boat in an enclosed building we still put the cover on and snap it but we don't need to use the support poles. The purpose of the cover is to keep the dust out from the forklifts going in and out of the bldg! The only time I'll use the poles is when I give the boat a good wash or if I just rinse all of the dust off of the cover.....
I store my Benny inside - roll down door with a gasket on the bottom - and YET, my Benny and the entire unit is covered in a thick layer of dust after winter dust storms. The interior stays "reasonably" clean, but still needs a spring wash down. I keep my poles in so I don't end up with a pool of dust. Ok, ok, don't feel bad for me - I get to boat year-round.

Last edited:
I store my inside - roll down door with a gasket on the bottom - and YET, my Benny and the entire unit is covered in a thick layer of dust after winter dust storms. The interior stays "reasonably" clean, but still needs a spring wash down. I keep my poles in so I don't end up with a pool of dust. Ok, ok, don't feel bad for me - I get to boat year-round.
We can boat year around but when the water gets too cold to swim/float we go less. I've had them take the boat out at least once a month and put on the wash rack/pad and give the cover a good rinse to get that dust off!

I collapse mine every time ,my wife lays them out while I unroll the cover . When i crawl under to set the poles they are where I need them. I put the pole in the vent release the pole ,lock it in place then do the rest on my way out .
I do the same dance every time as well. It would be more accessible to set the height, but not as satisfying. I did learn the need to set the tension so the pols don't collapse. Check this often. Usually, only a 1/4 turn will do the trick.

Back