Power Bimini - Manual override?

bloser2

Reaction score
We are strongly considering adding a power bimini to our first Bennington build. If something malfunctions with the motor is there a manual override?

With our situation, we absolutely have to have the ability to drop it at our dock to get it onto our lift and under the canopy. There just isn't enough room where our dock is to leave the boat off the lift.

Our dealer says no, but judging from the posts on this site, I believe where there's a will there's a way. If we can't find a manual override, we'll likely forgo the option...so those of you who like helping spend other people's money, help me out here. :)

I had one on my 2020. If I remember correctly, it can be lowered with an allen wrench .

I don’t know, and will be curious to look into the allen wrench possibility Jack mentioned more this summer. Never heard of that as a possibility.

I will say this though, after 6 seasons on the water, our power electric bimini has not let us down. Still works like new. So easy. Love it.

Failure is incredibly uncommon from everything I’ve tried to research prior and since buying our 2017 with it. TBH, I wouldn’t let fear of it failing dissuade you if it’s an option you really like. It’s very unlikely to fail on you. Fears of failure seem very overblown compared to the incredibly limited number of people that have had actual problems with the actuators that are in them.

We are strongly considering adding a power bimini to our first Bennington build. If something malfunctions with the motor is there a manual override?

With our situation, we absolutely have to have the ability to drop it at our dock to get it onto our lift and under the canopy. There just isn't enough room where our dock is to leave the boat off the lift.

Our dealer says no, but judging from the posts on this site, I believe where there's a will there's a way. If we can't find a manual override, we'll likely forgo the option...so those of you who like helping spend other people's money, help me out here. :)
I think a power bimini would be an option you would regret. It's pretty easy to do it manually and with a motor you will need to worry about it failing (exposed motor in a marine environment is never good), sucking the battery down, unless you are trading the boat after the warranty expires why add unnecessary cost and complexity to the boat.

I can almost guarantee you'll never have an issue getting the top down. Sometimes on ours you need to pause mid-lift to get the top all the way up, and if the raising sensor goes into overload you'll need to wait about 30 seconds (or maybe even reset the breaker). You can tell by the sound when it needs a break.

I've taken to helping the top a bit with my right arm as it's raising. The overload sensor can be pretty sensitive.

That said, about 90% of the time the top raises just fine on its own. Make sure you use the cables when underway, and if you're doing top-speed runs put the top down (they're only rated for 30mph, but people are always bragging about how they can go full-out).

If I had the choice, I'd get the power top again in a heartbeat. SO much easier. I've had both.

I can almost guarantee you'll never have an issue getting the top down. Sometimes on ours you need to pause mid-lift to get the top all the way up, and if the raising sensor goes into overload you'll need to wait about 30 seconds (or maybe even reset the breaker). You can tell by the sound when it needs a break.

I've taken to helping the top a bit with my right arm as it's raising. The overload sensor can be pretty sensitive.

That said, about 90% of the time the top raises just fine on its own. Make sure you use the cables when underway, and if you're doing top-speed runs put the top down (they're only rated for 30mph, but people are always bragging about how they can go full-out).

If I had the choice, I'd get the power top again in a heartbeat. SO much easier. I've had both.
With the Cable Stays "extruded" frames rated over 30pmh!
1677872068287.png

Did you receive the allen wrench in the bag when you purchased your boat ?

So the manual override is a dismantling of the frame. I guess that's one way to deal with it!

While I'm sure it is a great thing to have, speaking from experience it's not a bad thing NOT to have it. Takes seconds to put up and take down and nothing to fail. Saves a few bucks.

Maybe take that $$ and get another option?

I am looking into expanding my solar / electrical system on my toyhauler to accommodate moving from an Absorption Fridge to a 110/120 Residential Fridge. Love the automatic charger/transfer switch/inverters - but many reviewers said "but yae, when one thing goes down, it all goes down". And they are $$$. So, I concluded KISS - keep it simple stupid - often the beat advice! A little extra occasional work can be a lot less costly and less inconvenience in the long run.

Back