RCW Walk Through

Jack M

Reaction score
The walk through did not go well .

I waited until today to write this to calm down. so you can imagine how mad I was yesterday .

But someone in Elkhart should be fired .( final inspector )

I joined this forum almost a year and a half  ago, the past 6 months there have been more problems written about  than the first year.

Some of my issues  may seem minor to you , but this boats list price was over 75 K

NONE of the issues I am about to state is a dealer problem .I was there when it was unwrapped .

I will start will smallest issues first .

The  "Laser-cut Bennington Thresholds " are missing That can be fixed

The furniture was/is filthy ( ivory ) ,can be cleaned .

I ordered dual batteries port and starboard .It is even listed on the factory invoice .

Both are on the port .Not a big issue except I was charged for port & starboard ,dealer  will issue  a refund for that .

Somebody forgot to ship the bimini ,boot and all the hardware to attach it to the arch .

That can be added .

How do you ship a pontoon with out the bimini ?

At this time the dealer is thoroughly embarrassed . 

Now here comes the good one .

I am standing by the helm talking to the dealer about the batteries ,put my hand up on the arch for support and cut my hand because there is a gouge about the size of a nickel in it .

Now perhaps that could be a supplier issue for Bennington because my factory pics from February show the arch wrapped in foam with zip ties and at this time I don't know who wrapped it .

Dealer has no clue what they will do about the arch ,we have to wait until Monday .

I will post updates as they come in .

At this point I am ready to keep my SLX and tell the dealer to keep the R

Not one problem with the S a year ago .

Yes I understand that everything I listed can be fixed ,but how did it get out the door ?

What has happened in Elkhart  ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack, sorry to hear about your issues.....

I typically try not to make statements when this stuff happens, but I'll just let it at "apparently there is no final inspector"

I think Bennington is having some major growing pains, and I also believe 95% of them could be corrected by a REAL TRUE QA inspector.

VERY SIMPLE, go down the build list and check off every item as ordered .................. not hard.

We did it with million dollar planes and I was 18 years old .... :mellow:

Thanks Dave .After the wait it is just plain disappointing .

I retired from one of the automakers after 35 years . We had inspectors every where up and down those lines .

If something got out to a customer the assemblers on the line were held accountable and the union ( at the time )  backed us up on quality .

One more thing ,the port side gate IS  cockeyed . The top rail of the gate is higher than the starboard panel rail .The bow side is flush and all the gaps are equal .I didn't have a tape with me but to me it would appear that the non hinged side of the gate is longer than the hinged side .

And for whatever reason I forgot to look at the bow gate 

Jack, I am sorry to read about this. I hope it all works out for you. When do they expect to have the boat customer ready?

Not sure ,Bennington is closed on Saturday . I am going to the dealer again Monday to see what Bennington has to say .

Bimini can be put on at the marina ,furniture will be cleaned .thresholds can also be added at the marina . Batteries I will get some money off .

It is that arch that worries me .

At this point I want it replaced .

Sorry to here Jack. From all the post I have read there does seem to a big problem with quality control at the plant. I agree with you my list was over 90000 in my opinion every thing should be perfect with the order. I also have 2 gates that are out of Square how could you not see that when inspecting it sticks right out. Hopefully everything will work out.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Guess I was lucky. Agreed, how can that much be missed...or was there even a final check. Some of that should have been caught in intermediate checks.

Sorry to hear about your issues Jack on your new toon.  I think Bennington will make it good for you but you are wright it should be wright to start with.  I feel your concern issues I work for one of our big 3 auto makers I was a  final line inspector in pre delivery department.  What I though was good or bad wright or wrong was not what my supervisor,s though O M G help me there magic words were within tolerance or acceptable that gist meant the degree of  ***** up it is well I don,t agree with this it,s still **** up.  Ok I give up not the job for me I have a conscience or call me old fashion I believe in doing my job that is what they pay me for.  All done with my venting Bennington is a top notch pontoon no doubt that is y we bought one at all most 65.000 and our 2013 GBR only had a very fue issues and we love our toon and so do the people we take out.  They must have some quality control issues  at the plant that can with growing pains and trying to get ever ones toons done. There still the best by far our toon is gowing in today  :D  

I know you're P O'ed now Jack but you'll be up and running on the water before you know it and you'll look back and laugh at this..................one day! Hopefully...........

I agree though.........how did that boat leave the factory like that?!?    They'll fix everything!

I think as far as the dirt and when it was delivered (winter,snow, salt etc.) even with the shrinkwrap, stuff is going to get in there. I find it hard to believe it would leave the factory dirty. I know our boat sitting on the lift with a roof overhead and the cover on still gets dirty and it's not going down the highway at 70mph either.

Good point about the dirt .

I think as far as the dirt and when it was delivered (winter,snow, salt etc.) even with the shrinkwrap, stuff is going to get in there. I find it hard to believe it would leave the factory dirty. I know our boat sitting on the lift with a roof overhead and the cover on still gets dirty and it's not going down the highway at 70mph either.

That just sucks! I'm still waiting on my dealer to swap out my non lighted bimini for the lighted I paid for, replace the starboard aft fence, replace the bow gate (dent).

I agree 1000% that the quality has slipped big time at Bennington. I may get bashed for saying that but it is true. I noticed today while installing the load guides on my lift that my splash guards on the front of the toons don't even line up with each other. Looks like crap. Do they free hand this stuff or use jigs?

I'm hoping to pick my boat up this coming weeking and you guys are making me nervous! :unsure:

Me too...
Me too...
Do a complete walk through before you complete your paper work. Take pics ,if you think it is necessary ,get it in writing .Delay delivery if you have to to get it fixed .  

I am not happy ,but everything on mine can be fixed . It just should not have left the factory in that shape .

I do agree with  Carl ( above ) about the dirt .

Sorry to hear about the problems.  I hope everything gets worked out to your satisfaction soon and you can find some peace of mind.

Jack, I'm sorry to read this. You know what needs to be done and I agree with you, your biggest concern appears to be your arch.

Good luck and enjoy it while they get you fixed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack, you have a good relationship with your dealer and you know how Bennington treats customers so keep your chin up and all will work out.  Good Luck Pal

Yeah, ditto on the nervous part since I'm new to boating and have no idea what exactly to look for. Obviously I'll be going through line by line, but knowing the thing-a-ma-flange is not supposed to touch the under-thing. I'll have no idea.

Also, sounds like I'll need to buy some 303 cleaner to begin with, didn't even think about it getting dirty during shipment.

Good luck Jack, keep us posted.

Back