Rope Lights

fireman4life

Reaction score
Those that have installed rope lights (not inside the boat), any particular brand you reccommend and does the self-adhesive really work? Best location?nThanks in advance....

I think you mean LED strip lights, not rope lights. That's what is commonly used for lights down the side of toons. Make sure any lights you buy are rated IP67 or above. I used IP65 lights the first time I added them to my former boat and they only lasted one season. Google IP ratings and your eyes will roll back in your head. All you need to know is don't buy IP65. (And I've never seen IP66.)

I didn't think the tape that came on the back of my LED strips was going to be strong enough so I went to an auto body supply store and got 3M tape made to attach trim to cars.

And here is some info I wrote in another thread on this subject:
I ended up using double sided tape to stick the LED strips on the inside of the aluminum rub rail extrusion. I contacted 3M technical customer service twice and got some advice from them on exactly what to do to maximize the potential for success. Here are their tips:
1. lightly sand the silicone membrane to remove gloss. Wipe clean with lacquer thinner.
2. lightly sand the aluminum and wipe clean with lacquer thinner.
3. Apply 3M 6396 adhesion promoter to both the membrane and the aluminum. This has to flash at least 10 minutes before applying the tape. There is no limit to how long you can wait for it to still work. I got mine at Napa for $2.99 per packet. Ended up using 6 packets. It is on a little sponge and you have to work fast because it starts to evaporate from the small sponge the moment you start applying it.
4. I used a 3M auto trim pressure sensitive mounting tape (can't remember the number now). Was $43 for 50 feet at a pro auto paint and supply store. There are two adhesive sides to the tape. The adhesives on each side are not the same. Mount the tape side to the membrane and the red liner side to the aluminum.
5. The tape bond will increase over time. I don't remember the term the guy used but it seemed like the adhesive worked its way into the pores of the surfaces over some time.

I stuck my light strips to the inside of the trim that runs the length of the boat between the deck and the toons.

I think you mean LED strip lights, not rope lights. That's what is commonly used for lights down the side of toons. Make sure any lights you buy are rated IP67 or above. I used IP65 lights the first time I added them to my former boat and they only lasted one season. Google IP ratings and your eyes will roll back in your head. All you need to know is don't buy IP65. (And I've never seen IP66.)

I didn't think the tape that came on the back of my LED strips was going to be strong enough so I went to an auto body supply store and got 3M tape made to attach trim to cars.

And here is some info I wrote in another thread on this subject:
I ended up using double sided tape to stick the LED strips on the inside of the aluminum rub rail extrusion. I contacted 3M technical customer service twice and got some advice from them on exactly what to do to maximize the potential for success. Here are their tips:
1. lightly sand the silicone membrane to remove gloss. Wipe clean with lacquer thinner.
2. lightly sand the aluminum and wipe clean with lacquer thinner.
3. Apply 3M 6396 adhesion promoter to both the membrane and the aluminum. This has to flash at least 10 minutes before applying the tape. There is no limit to how long you can wait for it to still work. I got mine at Napa for $2.99 per packet. Ended up using 6 packets. It is on a little sponge and you have to work fast because it starts to evaporate from the small sponge the moment you start applying it.
4. I used a 3M auto trim pressure sensitive mounting tape (can't remember the number now). Was $43 for 50 feet at a pro auto paint and supply store. There are two adhesive sides to the tape. The adhesives on each side are not the same. Mount the tape side to the membrane and the red liner side to the aluminum.
5. The tape bond will increase over time. I don't remember the term the guy used but it seemed like the adhesive worked its way into the pores of the surfaces over some time.

I stuck my light strips to the inside of the trim that runs the length of the boat between the deck and the toons.
Thanks for the info...searching for lights now!

Back