S series sps 200 help needed

lakeliving

Reaction score
So I got to the 2 hour mark so I could give it some throttle and I'm only getting 38 ish. Looking to see what everyone else is running with this setup such as prop, engine height setting rpm's etc.

I was at 5800 rpm's

15 pitch reliance

Full gas

Two adults and one dog

Light chop

Motor is all the way down

I did sit in the back while the wife went wot and it looks low as I cannot see the bottom plate on the lower unit.

Need help as right now I'm getting 2 mph better than my 115 with the same load and twin tubes. Wife is not happy.

On a positive this thing banks in corners like crazy. Hopefully when this thing is dialed in I'll get some video.

Sorry to hear the frustration Andy. Hopefully it is just motor height.

Interesting on the motor break in. Mercury says run WOT for one minute out of every 10 right from the start

Would engine height make that big of a difference to pick up the missing 7 mph? This sucks.

From what I've read it can be noticeable...

I thought others had posted 45 mph with your setup, but maybe that was you posting the demo boat numbers??? Can you find out how that demo boat was set up???

Yeah that sucks. I know I'd be really disappointed after being pumped up to get a much better boat....

This is a long shot, but easy enough to try, and that's getting fresh gas from somewhere else. Run the boat dry, our siphon it off into cans... Dont know what else to say.

Dealer filled it up with premium on the way to my house. The demo boat did not have a gps but we were told down there it should do 45. Other with the same boat, different seating configurations have reported right around 45 as well. Something is going on with mine. And going to a 17 pitch would drop the rpm's further down correct? Aaahhhhhhh!

Yeah, I believe a17 would drop your RPMs, but is a15 the right pitch? That's what I have on my 150...

Maybe the dealer can do a compression test on each cylinder and see if one is low? It's an easy test to do. If anything it would give you a baseline as you work through this. Maybe after break in is done it will be better, but mine didn't change during break in. If anything it slowed slightly... Not what you want to hear...

Did your dealer do a lake test ? 

If so what did he get ?

The demo boat was a 24 ssrx with sps and f200 and had the same prop as mine. I specifically asked bennington and was told the 15 pitch. I'm not sure it is necessarily the motor. I'm thinking engine height but then I start to wonder if I'll see that missing 7 mph. Someone just posted recently the dealer tried a 15 and switched to a 17 so who knows.

Did your dealer do a lake test ? 

If so what did he get ?
Not sure. It had 0.0 hours on it though....

I was also being a smart ass and asked the delivery guy if it would do 90! He replied no.

Andy, I have a feeling something is off.  I am sure that you will eventually figure it out and will get the numbers you want.  However just step back and look....that is one beautiful boat

It is going to be covered with a canopy tomorrow! Probably a good thing too as the wife might make me sleep out there. It wasn't cheap to make this boat swap happen and for it to fall short just sucks.

Hopefully jtaylor and come Monday chime in.

Andy I am having the same problem with mine...  Tested a 2550 with 225 yamaha and it did 42 WOT 4 adults and 2 kids on board.  Mine with a 300 is only doing 41-42 at 5400rpm with 3 adults.   I know this is low but it is the setup used on the Yamaha bulletin 15.5 dia with 17p Salt water 2 series.  Not happy myself.  They are going to drop it down to a 15p prop but as you am I missing something else...

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Hopefully we will both get it worked out

I'm thinking the motor is too low. I wish I knew how much drag it adds. I could not see the av plate when my wife as at full throttle and trimmed half way up. Hopefully yours gets dialed in too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy,

You might take a look at the prop slip calculator for this setup http://www.mercuryracing.com/propellers/propslipcalculator.php

Pitch = 15

Gear ratio = 1.86

RPM = 5800

Speed = 38

Calculated slip = 14% which is not horrible

Peak hp is at 5500 on the 200 i-4, max is 6000. If RPM's were 6000 at just 10% slip you'd have 41, which would be quite good. 5% slip would be 44 which would be crazy good.

17 would be going the wrong direction for what you want. Need to find out what that demo setup was, because it WAS quick. Check what they had for engine height for sure.

Take a look at the videos I posted on reading the cav plate position. You DON'T need WOT to do it, actually better off not. Level trim, not too high. The plate should be nice and flat and visible just below the surface.

Thanks Tom. I'll see what info they still have on file from the demo boat. I didn't know you drove that one as well.

Sorry about your troubles Andy. I sure don't think its the motor. Just a case of getting it dialed in but I understand your frustration. Sounds like you might be right about the mount.

I've watched those and some others on you tube. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll take it out and get some video.

Thanks Tom. I'll see what info they still have on file from the demo boat. I didn't know you drove that one as well.
Just went on a joy ride. My iPhone said low 40's for real.

Back