S series sps 200 help needed

Good to know. I'll get with the dealer and bennington tomorrow to get some additional info.

Andy, what hole does he have your motor hung on? If your bolts are in the top hole, that would be hole 1, I'm hung on hole 2 on my boat with a 150. That bring my motor up about an inch higher than yours.

As I indicated a while back, we were able to get about 39 out of mine at 6000 rpm. That with the ellipticals and lifting strakes.

I would expect close to the same from your boat. Yes, you're running an extra 50 hp, but you're also pushing a third log through the water. We're both running the same pitch prop in the same rpm range.

If motor height doesn't help, check throttle linkage for full motion (dealer).

Mine is set at hole 1, all the way down. I guarantee the boat can go over 38 with my wife and I on the boat.

Andy, if you're not happy with the Yammy, I'll trade you for my Honda which pushes our boat at 39 mph.     :p

Thanks for the offer Carl but I'll get it figured out!

I know you will, just makin' a funny.     :p

TomS, appreciate your knowledge and you sharing it. I look at your analysis and am I correct that the only real part you can change is the pitch and that you want the pitch to come closest to the maximum rpm and that is what you do to achieve maximum speed

Also, on the Yamaha Performance Bulletins they tell you which hole to mount the engine however could it be questioned due to the different layouts of the various models?

Andy,

You might take a look at the prop slip calculator for this setup http://www.mercuryracing.com/propellers/propslipcalculator.php

Pitch = 15

Gear ratio = 1.86

RPM = 5800

Speed = 38

Calculated slip = 14% which is not horrible

Peak hp is at 5500 on the 200 i-4, max is 6000. If RPM's were 6000 at just 10% slip you'd have 41, which would be quite good. 5% slip would be 44 which would be crazy good.

17 would be going the wrong direction for what you want. Need to find out what that demo setup was, because it WAS quick. Check what they had for engine height for sure.

Another thought Andy is how quick does your motor ventilate when you trim up? If it's quick, you may not be able to raise the motor.

Doesn't ventilate or blow out at all. If I trim up like a mother it will porpose like a fool. I deliberately trimmed up to see where it would blow out and it didn't. Seems to have a small trim range the way it is set up now.

On the performance bulitens there is a gcw approx 3 ft longer with esp , f200, same prop and it does 40. It also shows the motor mounted all the way down, hole 1. Does an esp ride higher than sps? If so maybe that shows mine does need to be raised.

I appreciate everyone's brainstorming here. Next we'll end world hunger and create world peace.

I would say the ESP rides higher due to the elliptical having quite a bit more buoyancy.

The SPS has a round center tube, right?

Sounds like raising it would not hurt. Hope this fixes it. I wouldn't think one more inch of motor shaft in the water would knock off 7 mph, but you will find out!

I talked to the dealer and he is checking with the shop guy at his end. We'll see what they say.

TomS, appreciate your knowledge and you sharing it. I look at your analysis and am I correct that the only real part you can change is the pitch and that you want the pitch to come closest to the maximum rpm and that is what you do to achieve maximum speed

Also, on the Yamaha Performance Bulletins they tell you which hole to mount the engine however could it be questioned due to the different layouts of the various models?
Unfortunately, that's not really a simple answer and a bit beyond me, but I'll try. First of all, yes, you want your RPM to be capable of hitting about the max with your most normal loads. Too high and the rev limiter takes care of it, too low (like -500) and you're actually lugging the motor, possibly causing some long term damage.

There are probably bass boat guys here that can chime in as props and setup but it's really vague art with a touch of science. You're balancing a bunch of things - bow lift, stern lift, planing surface area, prop angle in the water (trim), weight distribution, etc. The prop choice affects the first 2, even with the exact same model, no 2 are the same. That is what "blueprinting" is about and the guys who basically hand tune these things. Andy may have one that's on the high side of 15, keeping rpms down a little, but you never know without putting it on a measuring jig like the prop guys use.

Pontoons also have a ton more variability in performance than most hull types, because of so many options in layout and equipment that affect the weight distribution.

There were some threads a while back by user "CCanDo" that explained this from a setup genius point of view. That guy was brilliant, and showed how all these things work together so he got mid 50's out of a 25' toon. He was using a setback jack plate to make sure the lower unit is in "clean" non-aerated water, the boat is generally level (gives maximum forward thrust), with less than half of the toons in the water (lower resistance). 350hp didn't hurt either ;-)

There is a nut in between the prop and the seat base. I think it needs tweaked.

OK..I'm done making jokes. Happy Birthday buddy. Hope you get it figured out.

Thanks Jared! It will all come together in the end.

Andy, when I was at the dealer this morning ,I explained your issue . He agreed that you should be hitting at least 45 with your set up .

Thanks for asking him Jack. It will get figured out. Just disappointing in the meantime.

I had to be there for the trade in ,so I thought I would ask ,No problem 
Nice touch Jack!  Very nice of you to ask about this for Andy.  Makes me proud to be part of this forum when I read stuff like that.

I agree. Great group of members here for sure.

Back