S series sps 200 help needed

I've been out all day -- sorry to be so late chiming in.

Mine is in hole 1.  Slight correction to my previous comments on the prop -- it's a [SIZE=11pt]14 ¼ x 17-M.  The typical WOT RPM looks to be around 5650 - 5700 but 'll need more time with it to really check it out.[/SIZE]  

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties getting it dialed in -- at least so far.  I'm sure you'll get it to where you're happy.

I'll take it back out today and play with it some more. Thanks again John.

Got my new 24 SSLX today with the new Yamaha 200 and I must admit I am very impressed! After hour 2 (of course) I was able to hit 43.6 @5900 RPM with 4 adults and a full tank! I have the new extended bow which I thought may add drag and keep me under 40MPH which was where I hoped to be, but I was happily surprised! I had never owned a pontoon and it is crazy to have such a big boat move so fast. I just sold my 70 MPH Skeeter for the good of the family but now I don't feel as bad for some reason! Now I see why some of you guys put the big motors on there and I would be right there with you if it weren't for the big bucks! I must say I am very pleased with my new boat!

This is post from bonhomme, he has the same boat, maybe he can chime in?

Got my new 24 SSLX today with the new Yamaha 200 and I must admit I am very impressed! After hour 2 (of course) I was able to hit 43.6 @5900 RPM with 4 adults and a full tank! I have the new extended bow which I thought may add drag and keep me under 40MPH which was where I hoped to be, but I was happily surprised! I had never owned a pontoon and it is crazy to have such a big boat move so fast. I just sold my 70 MPH Skeeter for the good of the family but now I don't feel as bad for some reason! Now I see why some of you guys put the big motors on there and I would be right there with you if it weren't for the big bucks! I must say I am very pleased with my new boat!

This is post from bonhomme, he has the same boat, maybe he can chime in?
Congrats! A little confused, do you have Yamaha or E-Tec? What prop are you using?

Looking for more detail here as well. Never made it out today but plan on playing with trim tomorrow. Also curious on the hole mounting location of other owners with this setup.

Latest update. Went out by myself. Managed to get to 44 and 6k rpm's playing with trim. I'm thinking 17 pitch may be needed. I still think the motor might be low too. I'll discuss with the dealer and see what he thinks.

Almost there  :)

I wouldn't be unhappy with 44, I think that's great

Well that is good news!!! But I don't understand the porposing... you are at max trim when that happens I thought. Which automatically means you went through the full range of trim... I don't get it, but as long as it's performing now, it really doesn't matter.

If you put on a 17p it'll probably work with just you but when you have friends and coolers and stuff, you won't be happy. 6000 rpm with you is perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll want the 15 pitch. Your latest test was just you in the boat, right? Once you add more guests, your rpms will only go down.

If you were hitting the rev limiter with max capacity, then I'd say you'd need the 17. But you are at the opposite end.

I'd say your dialed in. You could play with raising the motor though. Good luck!

Carl beat me to it. As usual.

We're suppose to have some family over so I'll see how it does with some weight.

Thanks guys.

Great news Andy.  I'm sure you'll want to tinker to get everything out of it you can, but like Jack said -- you're almost there!

The Yamaha F200 has a different gear ratio from the F150.  That's why prop sizes are apples and oranges.  And I'm convinced that the right prop for you is the Reliance 15 pitch--same as the perfect prop on my F150.  You have the power to rotate the prop faster than my engine.  And you should be seeing 6000 rpm's fully trimmed out.

My F150 is sitting in notch #2--3/4" above the transom.  When I drop my engine in lower trim settings, I get no ventilation whatsoever accelerating or in tight corners.  When the trim is 3/4 up on my trim gauge, I do get a little ventilation in a fast takeoff.  And that's exactly how I like it, as when I get up to speed I don't have to readjust the power trim.  If I had a bunch of people on board, I would drop the trim, however.

All pontoon boats without strakes are displacement hulls.  The way they get efficiency and meet their speed potential is by having lifting strakes that get the nosecones out of the water.  Run with the motor down, and it's hard to get past the point of no return--30 mph.  Trim the nosecones out of the water, and most can get 10 mph more.  I have noticed many complain about their speeds, and I always think they're not trimming the engine up enough.

Your knowledge amazes me and I appreciate you sharing it bamaman! I think my motor needs to come up one as I looked back there while on plane and the av plate was not visible. I'll see what it does later and report back. Also, based on my solo run earlier, my sweet spot is 3/4 up on the trim. After that is will porpoise.

Oh yeah and FYI, remove the rear portable cup holder from the double lounger when driving fast and banking turns. It fell off the back and luckily I saw it just as it did and killed the throttle. It landed right on the aft deck and I was able to save it. That was a close call!

Latest update. Went out by myself. Managed to get to 44 and 6k rpm's playing with trim. I'm thinking 17 pitch may be needed. I still think the motor might be low too. I'll discuss with the dealer and see what he thinks.
Woot!

Andy:  When you start to porpoise, just touch the down button slightly.  That should be your most efficient trim for speed.  And if you're pulling 6000 rpm's at that point, you're probably properly propped for all round running.  At 44 mph, I don't know that it's worth the effort to raise the engine as you're up there with the big boys with their 250 ESP hulled boats.

When I got my boat, it came with 14 pitch M series prop.  I was at 6300 rpm's and 3-4 mph slower than I expected.  After going up to the 15 pitch, it was just right.

I grew up 27 steps from the water, and living on the lake has its benefits.  I've run 13' Allison's with 100 Mercs (1969), a couple of tunnel hull boats.  Later, had a bass boat with a 175 hp Merc. Black Max.  Then, a couple of inboard outboards that made me never want another I/O.  And 27 years with a Starcraft 24' with a bulletproof Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke.  Now we have the Bennington, a SeaDoo and a 4 stroke Waverunner.

I'm about to the end of my boat buying, especially since I don't have anymore space on my dock/boathouse for more boats.

There is always a bigger boat house!

Thanks again for the assistance. Is there any long term worries of having the motor too low?

Less than three hours on the boat and down to 3/4 of a tank. Hopefully you guys are right about the gauges being off!

And as for running with the 250 guys, I kind of had a goal of 46. Reaching that would help us mentally justify the boat switch. I guess we already picked up 8 mph over our old one. I feel like everyone is starring when I'm in the throttle and throw it into a turn.

Back