Single axle vs tandem

Willy

Reaction score
I currently have a 2020 SFV20 with a 90 Yamaha. When I purchased it the dealer did not have any tandem axle trailers. Mine is a bunk trailer and I put on guide on post in the front and back. I'm thinking of going to a tandem axle with the style of 2x4 guide ons that are on the inside of the bunks hoping that its easier to load my boat and not beat up the pontoons so bad. I trailer the pontoon many miles behind my truck camper. Just wondering what the thoughts are regarding this? I'm thinking it will be easier on the boat as well?

An extra axle is good insurance should a tire blow. I personally have the post load guides on the outsides of the toons in the back and like them. Regardless of the angle of the ramp they are above the waterline and do their job.

It all depends on how much your boat, motor and gear weighs. Is your single axle trailer able to accommodate the load safely? Does your state require brakes? A tandem axle does disperse the weight better than a single axle. I guess your dealer wouldn't have let you leave the lot if it was unsafe and couldn't handle the load......

You didn't say where you are at and temperature makes a lot of difference with trailer tires. I live in the southwest desert where we were over 125 degrees several days this summer. That makes some very hot pavement! You gotta have solid equipment to handle that safely.

Your boat prolly weighs in around 2700 - 2800 pounds so a single axle set up can do the job IF, and that's a big IF you have good tires and keep them up to pressure. Last time I shopped trailer tires the Goodyear Endurance tire was only trailer tire made in USA and they are very good tires. I have them on all three of my trailers, the boat, my toy hauler and a flat bed I have. In this heat nothing less will do.

I would recommend if you stay with a single axle boat trailer you overkill the tires by stepping up the class rating on your tires. If the trailer has load C tires move up to D rated and keep them blown up to pressure.

Your best bet, and safest, would be a double axle with brakes on at least one axle. My boat trailer has disc brakes and even though I tow with a diesel pickup truck I don't know it's back there when I stop.

As a side note my trailer has guide posts at rear of bunks and can be tricky to load in wind. I plan to put guide bunk boards along inside of pontoons and get rid of the posts this winter.

If you're trailering a lot and over long distances, I'd strongly recommend getting a bunk trailer with dual axles (and surge brakes). The "ladder" style trailer you're talking about is way harder on boats, and incredibly tippy. I've personally seen 4 pontoons upside down on the road after the owners have taken turns too quickly.

I strongly recommend the dual axle trailer option. Trailers are relatively cheap and the extra protection worth it from my view given that you are trailering many miles. I might have a different view if you were just using it twice per year to put in and take out of the lake. I have the inside guides. The work ok, but in a strong wind I still have a challenge.

Back