Throttle Question

Glava2876

Reaction score
I had a weird experience with the throttle on my 23LFB. We got it about a month ago with the F200 Yamaha four cylinder and I was amazed by the power and speed. But, this past weekend I had a strange thing happen with the throttle. I had 7 regular sized adults on board and the water was a little rough, so we were going 10-15mph. As the River smoothed out, we were going about 20mph for maybe 20-25 minutes.
Everyone was looking at some homes and other things along the shore that interested them, so I slowed down to maybe 8-10mph. When I went to speed up it felt like we were low on power and couldn't plane out -with the throttle wide open. I looked to be sure that the motor wasn't hot and that the water inlets and discharge were OK and everything was clear.
I'd slow down and try to speed up and wide open, the motor was only turning about 2500rpm.
So I thought, maybe I'd stop for a minute, go to neutral and try accelerating again -when I hit the throttle it took off like a shot just like before and easily got to 30mph, with more to go.
So my question is, is this a motor computer/ throttle glitch and what I did was like a reboot? I did not turn off the key, just went all the way to neutral and then back to power.
Or, is there another explanation?
We had a blast the rest of the ride !
Thanks.

I have to wonder if you had something caught on your prop that released when you stopped. If you were in my lake, I'd say that you caught some weeds. Whatever the reason, glad you're up and running!

I was going to say the same - weeds can loop around your prop and take away its ability to bite into the water. My typical solution is to put in neutral, allow the the prop slow a little, put into reverse and gun it. Usually this un-spins the weeds and the prop bites again.

But the lack of RPM is a little concerning, which could also indicate a fuel issue. I wouldn't worry until this starts happening more frequently - pay attention to conditions and any alarms so service can better diagnose for you assuming still under warranty.

I have to wonder if you had something caught on your prop that released when you stopped. If you were in my lake, I'd say that you caught some weeds. Whatever the reason, glad you're up and running!
I'm not thinking so, I'm on the St Lawrence ,it's about a mile wide where we are and no seaweed near my dock. Once out maybe 40' its over 20' deep and then quickly goes to 40' with 60' max in the middle. But, maybe there was some debris?
The motor did not sound like it was struggling, it just seemed like it was not in sync with the throttle and at max it was only like part throttle.
Thanks for the thought!

Did you accidentally hit the "dock mode" button perhaps? Going in and out of gear would cancel that out. I have Dock Mode for my 350 Merc Verado and that's sorta what it does when the button is pushed (useful when docking and less likely to take out your dock and end up beached on shore if you hit the controls too hard).

Did you accidentally hit the "dock mode" button perhaps? Going in and out of gear would cancel that out. I have Dock Mode for my 350 Merc Verado and that's sorta what it does when the button is pushed (useful when docking and less likely to take out your dock and end up beached on shore if you hit the controls too hard).
But he has a f200 Yamaha. I am pretty sure the Yamaha doesn’t have the dock mode button. That is a Mercury item.

Might be the motor going into "safe" mode due to low oil pressure or high temp. I think the engine will retard to 2000-3000 RPM if either condition exists, and if prolonged an audible alarm will sound. If it happens again watch your gauges to narrow down the possibilities.

Have you had it out since? WOT return to normal rpm?
No, we were headed home that day, but the remainder of the 20 minute trip it was completely normal. It never had any heat or low oil safe mode warnings, but did act like a safe mode.
I don't have my owners manual here at home, but we are headed back up this Sunday and will do more research on this -I am going to see if Yamaha has anything in the manual about this situation and maybe call there tech like. Thanks

No, we were headed home that day, but the remainder of the 20 minute trip it was completely normal. It never had any heat or low oil safe mode warnings, but did act like a safe mode.
I don't have my owners manual here at home, but we are headed back up this Sunday and will do more research on this -I am going to see if Yamaha has anything in the manual about this situation and maybe call there tech like. Thanks
You should be able to find your owners manual on-line. Good luck...

That’s how mine acted before it shut down due to water coming into the gas tank through vapor vent line. Now confirmed by dealer they were able to replicate the conditions that allow water to ingress. Needs to be on plane and under load with some turns etc and small amounts come until enough collects to choke out motor. The lower rpm at WOT was the first sign. You dump separator filter by chance?

That’s how mine acted before it shut down due to water coming into the gas tank through vapor vent line. Now confirmed by dealer they were able to replicate the conditions that allow water to ingress. Needs to be on plane and under load with some turns etc and small amounts come until enough collects to choke out motor. The lower rpm at WOT was the first sign. You dump separator filter by chance?
Good thought, I can check when I get to camp this weekend.
I'm only on the first fill-up after the dealer free tank, so I'm thinking that the gas is good -the marina had 91 ethanol free gas.

Back