Verado v6 350 or Yamaha 300

Charli

Reaction score
buying first Bennington, it comes with 350 Verado V6 . I’ve only had Yamaha 300 . should I switch out motor ? I’ve read a lot of negative regarding the Verado . Don’t want first Benny experience . Dont want it ruined with a high maintenance motor.

Is this a used boat ? The new Verado 350 is a V 10 .Changing the the controls is expensive.

If it's a V6 that is an old model.
Many owners on the forum, including myself have a Verado , and non Verado Mercury's

Ahhaaa , I just read more . The V10 is replacing the V6 . I’m going to ask dealership if switching over to the V10 is an option.

Mercury has been building the V 10's for a few years now . My 250 is a V 8. Mercury had some good deals on the leftover V 6's earlier this year.

I guess I have not seen more negatives about the Verado’s, or modern Mercuries in general, as compared to any other manufacturer. These days, I honestly think your main outboard manufacturers are all doing a solid job.

That said, I haven’t looked at reliability and features in depth since 2016-17 when we were getting our Bennington. We have a 200HP Verado Pro, v6. LOVE IT!

Runs great! Runs very quiet comparatively. Incredible power and responsiveness through the entire power range. This aspect really endeared it to us immediately. After having ours for 7 summers, a Verado would be my first choice on ANY future tritoon. But that’s just my experience and opinion after having ours.

To me the much bigger question: what is your local dealership certified to service? Is it both Yamaha and Mercury, then options either way. Do they only service the Mercuries since that is what they are selling on it, then I would absolutely stick with it if you trust them to be reliable and honest shop. Personally, I would want specifically a Mercury Verado over everything else, second to that would be a VMax.

Side note: I wasn’t originally Mercury first, but that is what my local Bennington dealership is certified to service, and all they sell on the back unless you special order otherwise. As a result, we went with the best HP motor we could for our hull and budget at the time. In time, I became a Mercury Verado convert.

Good luck making your decision. Sounds like it will be an amazing boat no matter what.

I have the 350 Verado and I love it. Quiet, only gulps gas when you're WOT, and has been reliable so far in my first 3 summers. I've owned a Yamaha and a Merc now, and I prefer the Merc. From my research it seems like the Verado V6's are pretty well regarded for reliability.

Vikingstaff said it best--What motor is the best supported in your area? Here in south Florida the Yamaha dealers outnumber the Merc guys about 7 to 1. I've been told that the Yammy is easier to work on, but personally have no idea if that is true. Lots of the newer boat guys are going with Suzuki, because they are cheaper.

Interestingly my local dealer told me he does more with Yamaha , they have had most all issues with Mercury . I’m buying the boat from a non local dealer . I can’t imagine Bennington using motors they will have issues with and I see many with mercury Verado for sale new . I just don’t wanna make a huge mistake

Vikingstaff said it best--What motor is the best supported in your area? Here in south Florida the Yamaha dealers outnumber the Merc guys about 7 to 1. I've been told that the Yammy is easier to work on, but personally have no idea if that is true. Lots of the newer boat guys are going with Suzuki, because they are cheaper.
Yeah , local dealer told me he gets Yamaha dropped into Seattle v Merc so I can see different areas gravitate towards what’s more assessable , although still carry both . I learned I can’t change motor or I need middle tube changed for weight . I’m going to live with the V6 350 super and hope for the best

Do some research on that V6 Verado, it may still qualify for the free extended warranty Mercury was ( or still could be ) offering

I asked to go to v10 350 , his answer was it required heavier center tube . This QFB already is noted to have bigger thicker upgraded tubes . Im thinking they are getting great price on those motors and unloading them . He told me my price would jump 40G which I know isn’t true.

Back