What boat did you order?

I'll check into this more but my other thought was to go back to the dealer and get the 300hp boat - can't remember the model,perhaps a Q? But that was 77k down from 106k - a lot of money plus I already have one other boat for another location.  That one is a yamaha jet boat so part of my thinking was I can get my speed jollies on that and use the pontoon for cruising the restaurants  Do you think a dealer would give a show price a week after the show? Can always ask but again, I'm not sure I want to spend 77k  

If you want to cruise at 10-12 mph the boat will work.  If you stay at the dock and party the boat will work.  Link has a 2 toon R boat that he is adding a third toon  because of performance issues.  

Do you have a 3 day rule to rescind a purchase in your state?   

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what they all say. I guess what are your needs with this boat? Water sports? or just cruising along with friends and family?

Edit- I guess I missed a couple posts!

I thought it would go 35mph? Also it would cruise around 14mph? I only have a deposit on it now but I am pretty sure they would sell the other one for 77 if I asked. Not so sure what the wife would say.... 

How much can you get for the yamaha jet boat? If you bought the one with the 300 that means it would have ESP and be able to do what would currently take two boats to do. Calculate insurance, maintenance, registration etc and it might not be that big of a stretch to get the bigger power boat. Just my $.02

Make a list of what you want to use the boat for.  List how you will use the boat 80% of the time.  Ask the forum lots of questions before you spend that much money.  We will help you spend lots of money in a very responsible manner.  :)

What Bruce said!!!! I didn't know of the forum until after I bought my first boat. Sold it after 3 months of use as it was not the right fit for us. Had I'd known about the forum sooner I probably would have been in better shape from the get go.

The problem is I just bought a beach house, where I would use the pontoon (plus I have to install a lift). I have another house on the river where I keep the jet boat. the river house I get to easily, the beach house is 140 miles away. The yammie is great for tubing and skiiing and I didn't want to trailer a boat. However there is a lot tied up into not only two locations but two boats. I know a tough problem to have.

The 300 hp is a 2575QCW elliptical, with arch. as I said price is 77k but we didn't like the configuration as much as the other one. But that said it was a very nice boat.      

Just to clarify, I have a two toon RL with a 115.  My desire to add a third toon was not for any speed issues, it is because we slow cruise with a full boat of people, adding the third toon and the underdeck wave shield is to add for a better ride.  That being said, I could kick myself for cheapening out and not getting the 150, again not for WOT but so it didn't slug down when I have a boat load of people

OK so in your opinion the 150 is adequate? I just checked the config of 2575QCW and I like the 2575RSD config a lot better for entertaining.

Never order at a boat show. Take it all in, get the brochures and tentative pricing and above all read this forum before placing a down payment. You're brain won't get scrambled and the dealer won't get testy when you change your order every other day as you learn more about the boat. Take it from my experience, I ordered my boat 'ass-backwards'. Research first, then look at boats, then look at forum topics, then pick your boat and options, and finally pick a dealer and negotiate. IMO

Dan

When you say beach house, what kind of water will you be boating on.  Inland water way, open ocean, bays.  Abaco Sound in the Bahamas? Really neat location to rent a villa.

I had an experience with a dealer that said we could look at panel colors in person after we place the order..... Good catch Bruce. Saltwater will play a role for sure.

Its a bay - not sure what traffic will be like in summer, I expect a lot of boaters, so in that regard I am thinking a lot of top speed won't be necessary. If I can get around 35mph out of the 150 then I think it will work.

A 25 foot 2 tube boat with a 150 is not going to go 35 mph.

A 25 foot 2 tube boat with a 150 is not going to go 35 mph.
Really? An F90 got my 22SSX with twin-25's into the mid 20's easily, maybe even a little more if things were just right. But with a heavy load it was more like 17-18! Seems like a 150 could push it 35 without too much struggle. Although my capacity sticker said it was maxed at 115. 

Now with that said, at least throw an express tube on that thing to really get the best of that motor! That 150 would be a lot happier with a third tube underneath. 

Railmonkey, was it two 25" toons, or twin elliptical toons? Big difference. 

Bcpnick is right.  Throwing that much money at a 150 and only having the basic hull is not the best use of money to get the most bang for your buck.  At least throw the express under it, like he said. 

I think I said this before, but putting a 150 on a two toon boat is like putting cheap 13 inch economy tires from a Prius on a sports car.  You can't just do one thing and get the performance you expect, you have to stagger things.

My thinking is two toons are fine for motors under 90 HP.  Express for 90-150.  SPS for 150-200.  ESP for 200+.  There will be those that disagree, but I'm trying to make a point and provide a "rule of thumb" that you shouldn't put a larger engine on a "smaller" hull.

Bcpnick was hinting at this.

By the way, I get 41 MPH with my S and 150.  I have the Express with 6 strakes.

With the heavier R, I'd say you'd still see upper 30s with the Express (and strakes).

I really don't know about the 2 round tubes.  That's more of a semi-displacement hull, and getting much speed would be tough, but I'll defer to others that have experience with that set up.

Check out the Props and Power section.  You may find a similar set up in there.

Back