Winter over yet in Michigan...?

Thanks Daril ! We got to the mid 60's yesterday ,."Supposed"  to be mid 70's next week 

Lake Norman hit 87 today......

Nice pics Jack!

So,when does the trees and grass start greening up? I've been mowing four weeks already! But you must feel good about getting the boat in the water.

So,when does the trees and grass start greening up? I've been mowing four weeks already! But you must feel good about getting the boat in the water.

Who cares,less yard work more water time . :lol:

We've been mowing for weeks here as well. I agree with Jack though!!!

Our new dock goes in this upcoming Monday.  Lift is going in the end of this upcoming week.  Weather permitting, we finally take delivery of our new boat next Monday.

Who knows, I may be able to finally post pictures...?  Been dying to see it, get in it, etc... since it arrived at the dealership and went into storage back in March.

Our only worry is that the weather forecast may not facilitate the delivery day.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  If weather doesn't mess it up, we will have it Monday 5/22, and we will be up and running on the water Memorial Day weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are both excited and nervous for our boat delivery tomorrow. The weather forecast is showing high winds (up to 24mph) which could make launching the boat and docking the boat challenging since we'll be fighting the cross winds in both cases. not as worried about launching the boat as the marina people are doing that, but it's been 5 or 6 years since we last owned a boat and we're not looking forward to docking the new boat in a strong cross wind.

Be cautious, take your time, have a pole to help push off or grab the dock 

What type of boat did you own previously? Pontoons are lighter and have more flat surface area than fiberglass. So wind pushes a lot more when docking, launching, and loading. Be very cautious and have fun!

What type of boat did you own previously? Pontoons are lighter and have more flat surface area than fiberglass. So wind pushes a lot more when docking, launching, and loading. Be very cautious and have fun!

Thank you!

We had a really old Pontoon before this. But where we were situated on our old lake we didn't have to deal with any cross winds while docking, we were in a secluded bay that was mostly isolated from the wind. when strong winds did come, they were head winds. so this is a newer adventure for us.

Can you take delivery on a better day?!?

Take your time and enjoy today! Looking forward to the pictures!

Want to move Christmas as well?

Haha yup! 

I mean if they don't feel comfortable taking delivery on a windy day on an unfamiliar boat.........Then again you gotta learn sometime right ?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
so, we took delivery yesterday and the wind was horrible. launching was no problem. Dad and i tried to do a quick trip around the lake and going with the wind wasn't too bad but when we turned and headed into the wind it was not fun at any speed.

as I had worried about, docking was a major challenge. I made a few test passes and the wind was really whipping the boat. no two passes were the same and it made trying to figure out the best path forward difficult. I heard while watching the news that night that the winds were sustained around 27 with gusts of 40-50 mph. based on some of the gusts we had I would believe it. 

We did eventually get the boat parked but not without some minor drama. which included my dad saying, I can do this, let me and almost running us into the rocks and sea wall on shore. luckily we were able to correct it and not run ashore. 

here is the only picture I ended up getting before putting the boat in the water. I'll get more later and post them up.

I'm looking forward to this afternoon/evening. We have "Pepsi Pops" on The Rez. My parents, my favorite uncle (Dad's little brother) a cousin and her husband, are coming up. My wife and I are going to take them across the Rez, to the catfish house for supper, then cruise around for a while, waiting for the festivities to start. After the concert, they will have a fireworks show. That's always fun to watch from the water. 

Here's a pic of last year. There ended up being about 5x more boats than this. 

pepsipopsday1.jpg

After being in the slip for 16 days ,Finally got out onto Burt Lake Friday ( not my feet  :lol:  )

I was gonna say "nice pedicure Jack".    :p

Back