2022 22 LSR -- decent build and price?

bgold12

Reaction score
New to the forum and to boating. Last year I bought my first boat: a Bennington 20 SLV with two pontoons and a 90hp. I've had a fantastic time with it. I use the boat nearly every weekend. The lake I take it out on is about a 90 minute drive from home.

The lake I am on is large and can get quite choppy. As far as I can tell, I am the only Bennington owner at my marina without a tritoon. I am planning to order a 22 LSR next week and was curious to see what you guys thought of this build and the price I am getting from the dealer. My main uncertainties are about the battery setup (is the dual worth it and should I get the master power switch?). I also wasn't sure if anybody here has experience with Mercury active trim, but I was intrigued by the idea of not needing to worry about the trim and having the computer do it optimally for speed/fuel efficiency.

I was also curious about the Monaco blue accented seats (as opposed to the metallic carbon), but was worried that the blue on the seats is a bit too loud so I opted for the embroidery package instead.

2022 22 LSR

• Colors:
    • Smokey Granite (textured) panel
    • Monaco blue (smooth) accent panel
    • Blackout package
    • Monaco blue canvas
    • Curved bimeny top
    • Silver simtex interior
    • Metallic carbon accented interior
    • Monaco blue embroidery package
    • Bamboo silver floors
    • Zebrawood slate matte
  • Interior:
    • Pillowtop diamond pressed upholstery upgrade (20% cutout)
    • Elevated helm
    • Removable gate bow seat
  • Performance:
    • SPS with transom fuel 22 S
    • Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke 25 IN
    • Mercury active trim
    • Mercury mechanical Go7 Simrad Display
    • Sharkhide tube protectant
  • Other:
    • Extended aft with curved ladder
    • Elevated helm chaise
    • In-floor storage
    • Battery - dual with switch (port/starboard)
    • Blackout ladder
    • Heavy duty rub rail (with black insert)
The MSRP on the build is $76,054 and the dealer offered me a price of $67,000 before trade-in with my current boat.

Appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• exterior.png
    exterior.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 9.50.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 9.50.09 AM.png
    175.2 KB · Views: 32
I have a 2021 22LSR. Close to the same build as you minus the blackout package, and I have the 175 Yamaha Vmax, but build is close.

the dual battery was very much worth it for me, as was the master switch. Having the extra battery is cheap insurance and the master switch is nice to shut it down between trips out on the lake for that day

My lake gets bumpy as well and the SPS tri toon package is awesome. Learn to trim it correctly and the bow will glide right over the chop.

Now the bad news. The price you have is apples and oranges from last year when I bought mine before the costs went up.
My sticker was $62k and I paid around $51k before taxes on mine. But you can’t go back in time, so that is what it is. I will say the price you’re paying vs MSRP percentage wise, seems somewhat decent and on par with years past. Again, if you won’t buy it I’m sure someone else will. Dealers don’t need to discount

I came here for help with my build and asked about the infloor storage and extended aft deck, glad I did. Totally worth it and glad you have to on your build too.
The LSR is a great boat and we are enjoying our time on it, 6 hours last weekend on it and my 2 year old is a bonafide “boat captain” already.

I have a 2021 22LSR. Close to the same build as you minus the blackout package, and I have the 175 Yamaha Vmax, but build is close.

the dual battery was very much worth it for me, as was the master switch. Having the extra battery is cheap insurance and the master switch is nice to shut it down between trips out on the lake for that day

My lake gets bumpy as well and the SPS tri toon package is awesome. Learn to trim it correctly and the bow will glide right over the chop.

Now the bad news. The price you have is apples and oranges from last year when I bought mine before the costs went up.
My sticker was $62k and I paid around $51k before taxes on mine. But you can’t go back in time, so that is what it is. I will say the price you’re paying vs MSRP percentage wise, seems somewhat decent and on par with years past. Again, if you won’t buy it I’m sure someone else will. Dealers don’t need to discount

I came here for help with my build and asked about the infloor storage and extended aft deck, glad I did. Totally worth it and glad you have to on your build too.
The LSR is a great boat and we are enjoying our time on it, 6 hours last weekend on it and my 2 year old is a bonafide “boat captain” already.
This is really helpful--thank you so much! Was also very curious about the year-on-year price changes so that's a great data point to have. After accounting for the differences because of the blackout package, that's a 25% increase in price. Pretty crazy. Do you think I would be better off waiting? I somehow doubt prices will go down.

My main concern is about resale value. What can I plausibly expect this boat to be worth 4 or 5 years down the line?

This is really helpful--thank you so much! Was also very curious about the year-on-year price changes so that's a great data point to have. After accounting for the differences because of the blackout package, that's a 25% increase in price. Pretty crazy. Do you think I would be better off waiting? I somehow doubt prices will go down.

My main concern is about resale value. What can I plausibly expect this boat to be worth 4 or 5 years down the line?
No price drop is going to happen
Nice build.
Add duel batteries and the extended platform, infloor storage and your complete. As he said above.

Bennington's historically keep their value!!! We sold our R in 2020 at the beginning of the pandemic for what we paid for it in 2008.......

As others have said, prices aren’t coming down and more likely will increase. They hold their value very well, especially with the 10 year warranty. I see many people on my lake with their “new” 10 year old Bennington they just bought. You’ll be fine

Buy it, enjoy it, make memories, and don’t look back.

Sounds really nice. I agree MSRP won't come down. The dealer prices could, but I think it will be a while. We ordered ours in February, there was no guess on when we would get it. I asked the dealer in May at what point I could still cancel and he told me I could cancel up to the day I took delivery. He told me he could sell my boat tomorrow for more money then I was paying. There is a shortage.

As far as the price you are paying, I almost walked away because I didn't get what I thought was a good deal, percentage wise. I could afford it but I felt like I should get a bigger discount as people had in the past. I can tell you now, after having the boat for 3 months, that would have been a big mistake.

Words of advice I was given "You are trying to have this make financial sense, and it never will, enjoy the boat"

Sounds really nice. I agree MSRP won't come down. The dealer prices could, but I think it will be a while. We ordered ours in February, there was no guess on when we would get it. I asked the dealer in May at what point I could still cancel and he told me I could cancel up to the day I took delivery. He told me he could sell my boat tomorrow for more money then I was paying. There is a shortage.

As far as the price you are paying, I almost walked away because I didn't get what I thought was a good deal, percentage wise. I could afford it but I felt like I should get a bigger discount as people had in the past. I can tell you now, after having the boat for 3 months, that would have been a big mistake.

Words of advice I was given "You are trying to have this make financial sense, and it never will, enjoy the boat"
Awesome--great advice! Though not sure my financial advisor would agree (ha!). Did you get an 22 LSR as well?

Given the market and all, your price out the door is not bad. I agree with everything said above about pricing and options. The only question I have, is what size fuel tank does it come with as spec’d, and depending on that, can you increase the size of it? IF it is anything less than 32 gallons, I’d for sure look into if there is an option to spec up to a larger fuel tank. If at 32 gallons (or more) already, then no worries.

You covered many essentials and aesthetically the boat is going to look really nice with the choices you’ve made.

Given the market and all, your price out the door is not bad. I agree with everything said above about pricing and options. The only question I have, is what size fuel tank does it come with as spec’d, and depending on that, can you increase the size of it? IF it is anything less than 32 gallons, I’d for sure look into if there is an option to spec up to a larger fuel tank. If at 32 gallons (or more) already, then no worries.

You covered many essentials and aesthetically the boat is going to look really nice with the choices you’ve made.
Awesome this is all great--except for the fact that you might be a Vikings fan (Go Pack!).

The SPS package upgrades the fuel tank to 32 so I think I should be in good shape. I have a 23 gallon tank on my 20SLV 90hp right now so I am curious which will have more range...I suspect they are going to end up being similar

Awesome this is all great--except for the fact that you might be a Vikings fan (Go Pack!).
Ha, ha! Nope. Retired public school teacher. We were the Vikings, hence, Viking…staff. :cool:

Lions fan though from Michigan, so…;) on those cheese head Packers. :p

That said, I’m a total college hoops and college football fan as opposed to the NFL. Probably because of the Lions. :D Go State!

The SPS package upgrades the fuel tank to 32 so I think I should be in good shape. I have a 23 gallon tank on my 20SLV 90hp right now so I am curious which will have more range...I suspect they are going to end up being similar
Good to know…I forget some of those details these days. Range may end up about the same depending on usage. I have a Mercury 6cyl 200 with a Supercharger. I have a 32 gallon tank on our SPS and find it lacking as it is.

However, I know the 4 cyl 150HP are much better in that regard. Hopefully no worse for range than what you have now.

Good to know…I forget some of those details these days. Range may end up about the same depending on usage. I have a Mercury 6cyl 200 with a Supercharger. I have a 32 gallon tank on our SPS and find it lacking as it is.

However, I know the 4 cyl 150HP are much better in that regard. Hopefully no worse for range than what you have now.
Sweet--thanks again!

Boat prices in this market are somewhat deceiving. Makes me glad I got my 24SSLX 9 years ago @ $39K with F150 and trailer.

When you make your deal, make sure the dealer's going to include a Mercury Enertia propeller--and not some off brand or aluminum prop. Your boat deserves a $700 prop.

New to the forum and to boating. Last year I bought my first boat: a Bennington 20 SLV with two pontoons and a 90hp. I've had a fantastic time with it. I use the boat nearly every weekend. The lake I take it out on is about a 90 minute drive from home.

The lake I am on is large and can get quite choppy. As far as I can tell, I am the only Bennington owner at my marina without a tritoon. I am planning to order a 22 LSR next week and was curious to see what you guys thought of this build and the price I am getting from the dealer. My main uncertainties are about the battery setup (is the dual worth it and should I get the master power switch?). I also wasn't sure if anybody here has experience with Mercury active trim, but I was intrigued by the idea of not needing to worry about the trim and having the computer do it optimally for speed/fuel efficiency.

I was also curious about the Monaco blue accented seats (as opposed to the metallic carbon), but was worried that the blue on the seats is a bit too loud so I opted for the embroidery package instead.

2022 22 LSR

• Colors:
    • Smokey Granite (textured) panel
    • Monaco blue (smooth) accent panel
    • Blackout package
    • Monaco blue canvas
    • Curved bimeny top
    • Silver simtex interior
    • Metallic carbon accented interior
    • Monaco blue embroidery package
    • Bamboo silver floors
    • Zebrawood slate matte
  • Interior:
    • Pillowtop diamond pressed upholstery upgrade (20% cutout)
    • Elevated helm
    • Removable gate bow seat
  • Performance:
    • SPS with transom fuel 22 S
    • Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke 25 IN
    • Mercury active trim
    • Mercury mechanical Go7 Simrad Display
    • Sharkhide tube protectant
  • Other:
    • Extended aft with curved ladder
    • Elevated helm chaise
    • In-floor storage
    • Battery - dual with switch (port/starboard)
    • Blackout ladder
    • Heavy duty rub rail (with black insert)
The MSRP on the build is $76,054 and the dealer offered me a price of $67,000 before trade-in with my current boat.

Appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance!
We just sold our 2017 Bennington 21SLXP Bi-toon that had sealed lifting strakes (inside and out), rough water package, tube upgrade to .100" and underdeck wave shield, equiped with a 115 Mercury Pro XS CT. This boat would run a solid 38mph coxed (full trim) to 40.8 with full tank and wife and I (350 lbs) onboard. I could easily out run tri toons of similar size and run on top of 2 footers with out one drop of water getting in. We are on a 10,300 acre lake and run the great lakes also. The only thing the tri toons had over this set up was the ability to corner, that's it! They weight more and have more drag.
We just ordered a new 22 LSB, equipped with the same under pinning's because of the success with the previous boat. Because of staying with the bi toon we were able to order other desirable trim and equipment. This boat listed out @ $74,153.00. Sold to us for $54,965.00 plus frt., prep., tax and registration for a total of $59503.90

Your 2 toon with a 115 Mercury with a full tank, your wife and you ran 40.8. Wow!

Your 2 toon with a 115 Mercury with a full tank, your wife and you ran 40.8. Wow!
Yup! easy 37-38, with a little chop, proper trimming and canopy down. What was most impressive for us was how this boat lifted and rode on top of the chop. It was all in Benningtons lifting strakes. It appears they have the most massive of anybodys. You can probably see them in the picture.

Darwin, did you have normal bi-toons or the twin ellipticals?

Back