Bennington New Door Guide

PYC5 Dave

Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo of the new Door Guide? I am looking for the a picture of the "jam" not the part by the hinge. In the "Whats New at Bennington" it looks different than what is on my new boat. My dealer said what I have is normal and I still need to lift the door. The Jam end I have is "U" shaped and I believe it should be different and that the confusion in the build was caused at the factory.
Thanks Dave

1644513711779.png
Taken from the build site

Thanks Jack. That is not what I was looking for. I would like a real photo from a boat of the other side. This side is the "Hinge" side the other would be called the "Jam" side. I am going to take a picture of mine later today.
Dave

Sorry ,that's the only 1 I've seen
I did order the bow gate one on my.recent order

What is happening is that the door drops before it gets to the jam. The bow door drops later and catches the bracket, the port door drops way before. Any help on adjustment or remedy would be appreciated. Thanks. The first photo of the "Black Door" is from the build site not sure if it will appear as a video. Others are my boat of the two gates.

Attachments

• 76D44726-44AC-451F-BFC4-DD68E9F0CA7E_1_102_o.jpeg
    76D44726-44AC-451F-BFC4-DD68E9F0CA7E_1_102_o.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 0075F98E-71AA-4F1C-8B68-832BD87A2025_1_201_a.jpeg
    0075F98E-71AA-4F1C-8B68-832BD87A2025_1_201_a.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 21D1D372-81FF-409F-A43B-223B81250F2F_1_201_a.jpeg
    21D1D372-81FF-409F-A43B-223B81250F2F_1_201_a.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 06BB6705-57EB-4A66-A012-56D10764F1C7_1_201_a.jpeg
    06BB6705-57EB-4A66-A012-56D10764F1C7_1_201_a.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 133
  • F4358445-A909-4385-BA91-3E05BA91719D_1_201_a.jpeg
    F4358445-A909-4385-BA91-3E05BA91719D_1_201_a.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 136
If one drops sooner and one drops later, there must be some middle ground where it can drop right in. What is the difference in positioning of the hinge side piece between the two doors?

Attach photo taken at a boat show. I smm

Sorry for my fumble above. Why are you asking for photo. What is the problem?

If one drops sooner and one drops later, there must be some middle ground where it can drop right in. What is the difference in positioning of the hinge side piece between the two doors?
The port or side door drops sooner and drops in front of the jam. The hinge side lifting device is mounted like the factory photo. (Black door photo) The bow door drops on top of the jam. I see your point because the lifting device can be moved or installed further inboard because there is no rail as seen in my last photo.

Seems like it is the same, however since the jam is about 2 feet away (gate width) a small adjustment may make a big difference. I don't want to start cutting, re-drilling etc. I will probably have the dealer do it, but the dealer said it is working as expected and I have to lift the door.

This is a photo of the gate from the inside when it drops. Note the space between the gate lifting stud and the lifting riser. I am going to turn that screw to see if it moves as an adjustment or if it is the mounting screw.
IMG_4734.jpeg

This is a photo of the gate from the inside when it drops. Note the space between the gate lifting stud and the lifting riser. I am going to turn that screw to see if it moves as an adjustment or if it is the mounting screw.
View attachment 31870
Unless that picture is an illusion, it looks like they made a mess cutting and installing that gate stop. I would make the dealer fix it. Have they looked at it, or are they just going by your description and pictures ? That screw is just a mounting screw. If you loosen it, all you will be able to do is rotate the stop, and that's not going to fix it. Based on the pic, and it might be misleading me, it looks like moving the mounting hole about an inch toward the gate might solve the problem, but I'm not trusting the picture because of the lighting, etc.. But you DO have to lift and drop the gate on each side of the stop as far as I know.

Last edited:
Its the same as on the stern lounges with rails . Lift and Hold in place .
Here is Benningtons explanation on the build site . " Loading or unloading for your day on the water is easy with the all-new port Gate Glide holding the gate in place as you enter and exit with your hands full. Color matched to rails. "

Now I see your problem. You do not want to lift the door right up to the point where it drops into the u-shaped door stop. I see your point. I would not like that either. As I see it the design fails to tolerate normal manufacturing variation. As you said custom fit up could solve the problem but that should not be expected from a typical assembly operation or the end consumer. Forcing the dealer to fine tune the Door Guide location might drive change that in turn would benefit all.

If I'm interpreting it correctly, the new hinge only helps keep the door *open* - but doesn't necessarily assist in getting it closed. You still need to lift the door to get it inside the latch-channel for secure closing. The door latch is the same as on every Benny built for at least the last 15 years - there's just now a plastic "ramp" with a detent in it to allow the door to stay open.

I could be wrong, but from the photos it looks like the hinge is designed to hold the door open, not help it close.

That is how I see it but that makes sense. It only serves to easily hold the door open. Pontoons all have a positive latching devices to hold the door closed for safety reasons. I personally would like a simple detent similar to a cupboard door but that would not meet industry standards.

Unless that picture is an illusion, it looks like they made a mess cutting and installing that gate stop. I would make the dealer fix it. Have they looked at it, or are they just going by your description and pictures ? That screw is just a mounting screw. If you loosen it, all you will be able to do is rotate the stop, and that's not going to fix it. Based on the pic, and it might be misleading me, it looks like moving the mounting hole about an inch toward the gate might solve the problem, but I'm not trusting the picture because of the lighting, etc.. But you DO have to lift and drop the gate on each side of the stop as far as I know.
BigD. Thanks for the reply. The gate stop has a few scratches not anything alarming that would cause this to happen. I removed the big screw and you are correct just mounting. I told the dealer to investigate pre-delivery and at delivery said that's they way it was and also said I need to lift the gate to put it into the jam, so what is the feature, I did this before. I disagree with this. Take a look at the Web "What is new for Bennington" it shows the gate moving and falling into the jam. I agree to lift to open gate and need to lift it to start it closing. I agree moving the mounting hole towards the gate would fix it but the factory photo shows it right next to the rub rail. Right now I am in the measure twice cut once mode.

Now I see your problem. You do not want to lift the door right up to the point where it drops into the u-shaped door stop. I see your point. I would not like that either. As I see it the design fails to tolerate normal manufacturing variation. As you said custom fit up could solve the problem but that should not be expected from a typical assembly operation or the end consumer. Forcing the dealer to fine tune the Door Guide location might drive change that in turn would benefit all.
You nailed it!! You can not inspect quality in. I believe that the design should have an adjustment to for dealer or customer adjustmentment. Have you seen the short bit on "Whats new for Bennington"? I also just re-looked at the black gate riser (what seems to fit as a name) and it appears more robust. Maybe the parts installed were not as expected by Bennington. Sorry, I am just thinking back to my manufacturing days.

Last edited:
Back