Black Out Package

Pat and Renee

Reaction score
Anyone have any input on the black out packages is it mainly for the look? Is there any other benefit? FYI Our boat spends the winters in FLA in saltwater and salt air.

If you select the black out package(s)and the black rub rail inserts the build a boat site will not allow you to have pop up cleats.
I thought seeing a boat with black and still pop up cleats?

Would the black out package cover up the stainless steel rub rail if you select black out inserts?

We have a 2015 22SCWX with SPS/150HP and considering same floor plan in 23/24ft range in the L series with SPS + or ESP and 200/250 VMAX -

Anyone have this set up please let me know how the performance worked out for you.

I was just on the site and built a L series with the black out package and black inserts and it allowed me to add the pop up cleats. Try using the long form and double check your selection when filling it out.

I cant speak much about the black out package as we opted out of it - but it sure looks darn nice. I have heard a few rumblings that you have to be careful with it and it scratches. Again, I do not have it on ours so just what I have heard. We do have the black rub insert and have the pop up cleats. I would never buy a boat without pop up cleats....

We have a 23' SPS with a merc 200 V6, 15/15" prop - fantastic hole shot, top speed is pretty consistent at 39 mph no matter how much weight I am carrying. Then again, we are slow cruisers and hardly ever go faster than 25 mph with two kids under 3 yrs old.

Hopefully someone will give you better insight on the blackout rails

Our rub rail is painted to match the black on our blacked-out 25R - and yes, we have pop-up cleats as well.

For durability it seems to be a durable powder-coat, haven't had any scratches yet after half a summer on the water. Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 12.18.20 PM.png

Anyone have any input on the black out packages is it mainly for the look? Is there any other benefit? FYI Our boat spends the winters in FLA in saltwater and salt air.

If you select the black out package(s)and the black rub rail inserts the build a boat site will not allow you to have pop up cleats.
I thought seeing a boat with black and still pop up cleats?

Would the black out package cover up the stainless steel rub rail if you select black out inserts?

We have a 2015 22SCWX with SPS/150HP and considering same floor plan in 23/24ft range in the L series with SPS + or ESP and 200/250 VMAX -

Anyone have this set up please let me know how the performance worked out for you.
IMO the blackout package is for looks. We did the blackout luxe with the black rub rail inserts but could not get the aft pop-up cleats, only the bow - probably because it's a 21ft S-series. No problems yet with scratching but I'm sure it's coming...the first one will be painful.

Try the long form as Scottkp mentioned above when trying tto spec it up via boat builder. WIth your model and size boat, you should be able to add them. We have the full blackout package, black rub rail and pop up cleats on our 2017 24’ SSBXP SPS. It really is all about looks. There is no real practical value whatsoever with the Blackout package. It does make certain color combination boats really stand out, but I think it depends on the colors you go with for panel and ascent.

After 4 summers, I don’t have anything very noticeable or problematic with scratching. I did look closely this year after someone mentioned they had a blackout package with a little scratching after a couple of years. I can find a few spots here or there with mine, but you have to really be “looking” for them. Otherwise, it really does look good four years in. Picture below:

3B3D2807-1D0C-446B-AFFE-4F0F950FE5FC.jpeg

276CC0CA-0980-429B-AAB3-74C69CB66643.jpeg

Try the long form as Scottkp mentioned above when trying tto spec it up via boat builder. WIth your model and size boat, you should be able to add them. We have the full blackout package, black rub rail and pop up cleats on our 2017 24’ SSBXP SPS. It really is all about looks. There is no real practical value whatsoever with the Blackout package. It does make certain color combination boats really stand out, but I think it depends on the colors you go with for panel and ascent.

After 4 summers, I don’t have anything very noticeable or problematic with scratching. I did look closely this year after someone mentioned they had a blackout package with a little scratching after a couple of years. I can find a few spots here or there with mine, but you have to really be “looking” for them. Otherwise, it really does look good four years in. Picture below:

View attachment 28089

View attachment 28090
Thanks for the pics (boat looks great) The top side is what I could not see via any other pics. With your set up, you would select standard heavy duty rub rail and black insert and skip SS rub rail since its not going to be seen. The alum rails seem pitted after a season in FLA and my boat is stored inside when not using it. I'm hoping the black out will look better longer and require less maintenance to keep that way. Thanks again your pics clear up a lot for me.

Thank you everyone for good feedback. I do love the look of them and I always wondered about durability and how the finish would last long term. Glad to hear Vikingstaff that it holds up good.

CLDave - sharp looking boat! I messaged you directly on your thoughtful offer.

For those of you with the blackout and the dark/black panel color how does the darker colors do for water spots? Do you find you have to clean it more often? As I'm new to boating I've always wondered if boats are as bad as a dark colored car. Your boats look great...Thanks!

Thank you everyone for good feedback. I do love the look of them and I always wondered about durability and how the finish would last long term. Glad to hear Vikingstaff that it holds up good.

CLDave - sharp looking boat! I messaged you directly on your thoughtful offer.

For those of you with the blackout and the dark/black panel color how does the darker colors do for water spots? Do you find you have to clean it more often? As I'm new to boating I've always wondered if boats are as bad as a dark colored car. Your boats look great...Thanks!

Messaged you back :)

As for water spots - I notice spots more on the Merc casing than on the actual boat. Granted the boat is only 2 months old, but spotting hasn't been an issue at all - deposits wipe right off.

I have to say that the look of the R series with the blackout is spectacular. CLDave and BillnPenny knocked it out of the park with the accent color so close to the interior color. That accent stripe location on the R (and now the L bowrider) makes it appear that you can see through the fence on the top. I think it lowers the profile and gives it a very sleek appearance. WELL DONE!

I haven't had problems with water spotting on the dark color. Just pine pollen settling in but it didn't take much to wash it away. Just some rain and wave action.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments on our boat. Like everyone else with their own boats, we kinda like ours too. ;)

+1 on my black Mercury engine cowl showing the most water spotting. :eek:

+1 also on dust, pollens, etc... showing more quickly on the darker color panels than typically water spots. :confused:

We have dark Smokey granite (?) panels with the black ascent stripe/swoosh/whatever (Seen in pics above). Just like a black/dark vehicle, it shows things pretty quickly. I find that I have to wash it down a bit more often. I don’t really have a problem with water spots developing from normal cruising around, but when washing the boat, I have to wipe it dry with a towel immediately or the clean panels dry into water spots very quickly.

I have to say that the look of the R series with the blackout is spectacular. CLDave and BillnPenny knocked it out of the park with the accent color so close to the interior color. That accent stripe location on the R (and now the L bowrider) makes it appear that you can see through the fence on the top. I think it lowers the profile and gives it a very sleek appearance. WELL DONE!

I haven't had problems with water spotting on the dark color. Just pine pollen settling in but it didn't take much to wash it away. Just some rain and wave action.

Agreed! I just adore this dang boat - the only thing I don't love is that the season's already almost over. Thanks for the comments :)
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 3.55.04 PM.png

View attachment 28089

View attachment 28090

love the look of the Smokey granite with the blackout! I am about to pull the trigger on my first Bennington and was planning the above but with a golden emerald (going for an army green look) accent panel. Anyone have any pictures of that combo? Smokey granite with golden emerald accent with blackout? Thanks

We have the black out package with black panels and no accent strip so it is total black. We also have pop up cleats. We have had no problems with water spots but we only boat in fresh water. A salt water experience my be different. I do wash my boat at least 3 to 4 times every boating season and use Turtle Wax's "Wax and Dry" each time. I think this helps prevent water spots.

Wipe down our panels/blackout every week or so with lake water/rag, and then every month or so with Adams detail spray. Still looks new.

Thanks for the nice words.....wish I could say I picked the colors (dealer did). But I loved it when I saw it!!

Attachments

• 6D8976CE-F0FB-45B6-AF84-872D595BC98C.jpeg
    6D8976CE-F0FB-45B6-AF84-872D595BC98C.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 46
We love our blackout package. It’s even better when I smoke a bowrider with my 250. You just got toon’d!!!

Attachments

• 4FBAEA0D-DFB0-452B-94D8-A58A4F2A62E1.jpeg
    4FBAEA0D-DFB0-452B-94D8-A58A4F2A62E1.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 45
Back