Boat lift bunk styles

NeilD

Reaction score
I am having a new boat lift installed in my boat house. I have a Bennington Sedona pontoon boat.
Which is advisable:
1) Should I use V style bunks with boards slanted for my pontoons to slip into. or
2) Allow the pontoons to sit on a single flat board for each pontoon.
My boat lift provider says that a single flat board for each pontoon will work. I am concerned about the bottom guides just sitting on a flat board.
One picture shows the pontoons in V style bunks while on our trailer.
The other picture shows the flat board on our new boat lift.

Attachments

• pontoon trailer V style.jpeg
    pontoon trailer V style.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Flat board bunk pontoon boat.jpeg
    Flat board bunk pontoon boat.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 22
Flat boards are okay and used by a lot of people V-bunks are better, and used by plenty of others. My older lift had V-bunks.

The above said, with your “keel fin thing” in the one picture above (lol), I would personally go V-bunk. I would not be sitting that on flat board bunks. Not sure if its necessary, but I wouldn’t even risk it.

I am having a new boat lift installed in my boat house. I have a Bennington Sedona pontoon boat.
Which is advisable:
1) Should I use V style bunks with boards slanted for my pontoons to slip into. or
2) Allow the pontoons to sit on a single flat board for each pontoon.
My boat lift provider says that a single flat board for each pontoon will work. I am concerned about the bottom guides just sitting on a flat board.
One picture shows the pontoons in V style bunks while on our trailer.
The other picture shows the flat board on our new boat lift.
Our lift has the V style bunks and works great.

Attachments

• Lift.jpg
    Lift.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 25
I modified my lift to v-bunks. I like it. I did not support my center toon because it is a Express package (2/3 toon). I could not go flat bunk on a Shorestation lift becasue of the v cradle

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 9

We recently upgraded our lift to a Hydrohoist 6600. (side note: it has much higher capacity than we need for our Stingray, but wife isn't amenable to a larger boat....yet) I will eventually add bunks to lift a pontoon too. Had considered the flat boards, but think we really need the V-shape or cradles because of significant wave/wind action here and a floating dock. The need to accommodate a pontoon tube keel, as mentioned above, is now a player too.

We also have the toon rails and love em. Saved us from banging around a few times on windy, wavy days. Set the width of the rails so there’s not much wiggle room on either side. So again on windy days it keeps us away from the poles side rails etc.

Back