Cover for half gate?

Kevin J

Reaction score
Hi all - I recently had a trolling motor added, which required the front gate to be switched from a full gate to a half gate. But the half gate leaves quite a bit of an opening underneath and now we (mainly my wife) are concerned about the dog and small children being able to get through it while we are out on the water. Another concern is with wild animals (squirrels, racoons, etc.) being able to get in and take up residence while the boat is docked. I admit, I'm not thrilled with the idea of coming face to face with a rabid racoon when I crawl in to take down the posts for the mooring cover.

Anyway, do any of you know if there is a snap-on cover or anything available to purchase that would cover most of the opening, or am I going to have to make something that will resolve these concerns?

Not sure a fabric/vinyl one would hold up in the wind. I didn’t want the trolling motor in the middle of the floor so this is how I did mine.

Attachments

• C5A17545-14F2-49B2-ADFE-D84D121CFC84.jpeg
    C5A17545-14F2-49B2-ADFE-D84D121CFC84.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 50
Yeah I probably should have considered that type of mount instead, but that ship has sailed now. Actually my brother-in-law does have a snap-on vinyl partial cover on his half gate that he has no problems with, but his boat isn't a Bennington so the sizing is different. Would be nice if Bennington offered something similar. If I can't find one or make something that looks decent, I may have the mount switched so we can put the full gate back on. Thanks for the reply.

Good luck. I’m sure something could be made to cover that hole somehow.

when I crawl in to take down the posts for the mooring cover.
You don't need to crawl in. Just start unsnapping the cover at the front of the boat and grab the pole when you get to it. Also you are not changing the height of the pole. I put the poles in the pole topper/vent as I install the top. Do a few snaps at the back of the boat and then install the first pole, it will stay in place. More snaps moving forward, install the next pole. I never have to get under the cover.

Last edited:
Seems like a great place to put a cooler to block the kiddos and pets. As for squirrels/etc. - they can get in just fine in the gaps you already had in the doors, so no sense worrying about that. Again, a well-placed cooler or box if you're super-concerned.

I’ve seen covers on half doors. Probably could be made easily by local canvas shop.

On our old boat (non-bennington). I installed a quick attach/detach plate for trolling motor and installed a clear plastic lexan piece with 3 screws on the half door.

While driving, I would have the trolling motor in the upright position but ALL the way up. This was never a problem for us as our lake doesnt have much wave action. When I wanted to use it, I slid the trolling motor down.

I always removed the trolling motor when covered for more than a week to avoid someone stealing it.

Once I get the new boat (un-patiently waiting), ill be doing exactly like "Lakeliving" has with a sideways detachable mount

Back