Fuel consumption 200 vs 250 or 300hp

fiddlebick

Reaction score
In my search for a boat, I run across motors from 200 to 300 on a 23 to25ft hull. I don't need a bigger badder motor, but I am not sure I'd want to pass on a nice boat just because its going to use more fuel at a reasonable cruising speed than a smaller one. I don't need to run 45 mph unless I am outrunning a storm, or some other reason to get off the lake quickly. I saw a boat online with a 300 yamaha is why I'm asking for input. Currently I average about 30hrs on the motor per summer, but in retirement that may well double. Since I don't have a lake house and never will, the bigger cost would likely be more mpg spent pulling the boat to the lake. Are any of you sorry that you bought a bigger hp now that you own one?

I have a 350 MPI Mercury I/0 on the red boat. 90% of the time is spent floating but when the kids with 8 of their friends are on the boat and tubing and maybe waterskiing the power makes a difference. MPG should never be a consideration on a boat. Does anybody worry about the MPG on their side by side. Get enough power to handle the 5% of the time you need it and then relax. Toys are luxuries. If you are worrying about the cost and dents then you are not enjoying what you have earned to be in the position to have.

Last year, my friend asked how long to the dam. (it's about 35 miles) I told him $100 each way. That's reality but why sweat it. We had a great time and there were memories for six people. That is what boating is about.

I'm pretty sure my 350 Verado uses less fuel than my old 115 Yamaha - especially at the same speed. 25 mph was flat-out in the Yammy, and about 1/3 throttle in the Merc. Of course it'll drink the tank dry quick on a top-speed run.

I started with a 90 hp on my 1st Bennington in 2013 . I then went to a 150,200 and now a 250 . So my answer is no .

I would not worry about that too much as a purchase factor, and it absolutely woudln’t hold me back from a purchase. Honestly, the higher HP would interest me MORE not LESS.

Realty, most of the time you will NOT be hammering the throttle. In cruise ranges, you will be solid. Only in the upper half or upper third of your throttle are you going to start really burning a lot more MPG than the mid-HP motors.

Honestly at 200HP and above you are buying a motor that will burn a lot of gas when under heavy throttle. No way around it. So fritting it when going big HP is only going to cause you grief. You have to let it go.

You almost have to go into thinking, “It is what it is, and I am not going to worry about it. It’s the price of fun.”

Check out the performance numbers and you might get some insight into fuel usage based on cruise speeds. You can filter it to Bennington specifically.

I'm happy with a Yamaha 150 h.p. When I had a 90 passengers said. "Go Faster" got a 150 passengers say "Slow down"
Can’t please them all can you!?! Ha, ha.

If I order a boat, 200hp is my max, all I'd need. Buying a used one has a different mindset on what I need, want and what I'm willing to accept for the lower price. What an adventure.

So...I just learned that the Mercury 250 is a V8 motor, didnt realize that. I assumed it would be a V6 as is the Honda's and Yamaha's

So...I just learned that the Mercury 250 is a V8 motor, didnt realize that. I assumed it would be a V6 as is the Honda's and Yamaha's
I think it may have been prior to the redesign a couple years ago. Not positive as I have a 200 Mercury Verado Pro, but the older design from 2017. So mine is a inline 6 with a Supercharger on it.

Although the new Mercury v8 250’s will be more thirsty, at least in regards to performance, nothing beats good ole fashioned motor displacement. That should really be a nice aspect of the Mercury 250’s.

I am partial to the Mercury Verado line in particularly, so if you go with that, some nice advantages in performance from hole shot, through the power curve, right up to WOT.

Also, the Verado lineup is shocking quiet for their size and HP. Love that!

For what it's worth, I've got a new yahama f300xsb on my 25' Q. I like that I can monitor the fuel usage with the new boat. We've had it out once so far as mother nature is not playing along, but at 3000 rpms we were running about 25 mph and 3.2 mpg.

Really good to know. I will let you know what we get when we get our 25Q it’s only 5 days 16 hours and 23 minutes to delivery. But, who’s counting.

Have 2013 2550 rcl with a 300 mercury verado. Fuel consumption is a wash depending on how u use the boat. Usually it’s a few guests and run about three quarters throttle at cruising speed, but do run full throttle when I feel the need to get somewhere. Since I do not pull skiers, tubers, etc gas is not an issue. However, a smaller hp motor with a load and pulling tubers will demand More power increasing fuel consumption. Better off goin with highest horsepower you want no matter how you use your boat.

Hey Tripper how is the steering on your motor? Same as hydraulic or is a different feel?

Steering and throttle on the digital are very different but I really like them both better. Throttle, much more sensitive than in the past and easy and smoothe to move. The sensitivity is adjustable. The steering is less sensitive as in you have to turn the wheel more if you are trying to completely turn the motor. I think it's around 4 complete spins to turn the motor fully to one side. It is very smooth movement though - no force needed and it holds it's line very well.

Do not pass on a boat just because it has a big motor. Pontoons are the perfect deck on the water. They are relatively tall and open contributing to a feel good feeling. As such they encourage comfortable conversation between friends and family. On the flip side they have little wind protection. Quiet conversation is lost above 15 mph. High speed is thrilling but over time it is something to be endured. The window of opportunity for grandkids to enjoy water sports behind a pontoon is short although those moments maybe the most remembered. This should not discourage one from getting a big motor. At normal pontoon speeds cost per hour is low no matter the size of the motor. At these modest speeds a big motor is actually more relaxing because it moves the boat with less effort. Depreciation and cost of money might even overshadow fuel cost. My advice is do not let cost accounting dictate this emotional purchase. Buy what feels right.

Hey fiddlebick .. my wife and I are possibly the oldest first time boat owners as of last year (both mid 60’s). Got a used 2020 Q23 w/ Yamaha SHO 250 w/ 50 hours. I never thought I could enjoy a pontoon/tritoon as much as I do. It has great power and even my wife enjoys its strong propulsion. We’ve had 8 full size adult animals and their heavily loaded beverage coolers on our boat and couldn’t tell it.
Fly Like the Wind.
We don’t need more hp but I wouldn’t want less.
Love it!

Back