How fast should my pontoon go?

What are you getting? RPM’s and speed at WOT? What’s your load during those readings? I would guess mid to high 40’s if dialed in depending on layout, passengers, gear on board, etc…

Take a look in this thread and look for people with a comparable setup to yours:

List Your Specs Here

Also, in the Member Zone: Props and Power forum you will find LOTS of posts about dialing in performance. A number of them involve 300HP Motors, mainly Yamaha’s.

Add in your motor manufacturer to your post above, and you might get some member feedback from those with your same basic set up.

Esp package should get you 46 to 48. If it's a bowrider, then speed will be less. I hit 46 with a 23rsb elliptical center toon and a yamaha 300. I think I could get a little more mph our of it by raising the motor, but I would lose bite in turns. I'm happy with where I am.

Elliptical sport package. The center toon is Elliptical (I think 32" wide) instead of 3 25 " tubes that come with the sps package.

Something isn't right, I hit 38 on my previous 23 ft RCW SA with a 150. Are your toons clean ? You will loose speed if they have slime or build up on them .

Michiman is right. Something is off. Frankly, way off. But through a pretty short list of process of elimination, it should be somewhat easy to figure out.

In addition to the info I asked you to post above (RPM’s at WOT with MPH)*, also share:
What prop you have (brand, size)?
What hole is your motor mounted in?

*Also, ideally when recording your speed/rpm numbers run the boat at a lighter load, maybe only 1-2 people, no gear, half tank or less of gas, on fairly calm water.

You posted it is a 2018. Have you owned it the entire time, or a new to you used boat? If you have had it this entire time, has it always performed this way?

Also, how clean are the pontoons? Pics?
Does it “list” slightly in any direction? Any “sloshing” sounds from pontoons when on a trailer?
Can you verify the guess above for hull (ESP?) and underskinning? I too am assuming it has both too, but just looking for verification.

Anyway, your performance is way off from where it should be. By getting answers to all the above a lot of very smart and experiences people in this forum can help narrow down what’s behind these very low performance numbers.

My main guesses: wrong size and prop, and/or dirty pontoons. However, I couple other things could be in play as well, hence the questions above.

How fast should your pontoon go? In my experience most of us feel our boats are: 1) Slower than you want to go, and 2) Faster than your passengers want you to go.

(My 25R with a 350 Verado will hit 52, with just me onboard and the swingback and bimini stowed)

In my experience most of us feel our boats are: 1) Slower than you want to go, and 2) Faster than your passengers want you to go.
Spot on!!! :D

My L26 ESP 350M Enertia 14.7x16P: Double Bimini Up, STUFFED FULL with equipment and supplies and 5 people on board, smooth lake no wind: 42.2 mph @ 5990 rpm.

2021-08-09 Simrad RPM Speed.png

My 2017 23RSB with ESP and yahama SHO 250 would run 46-47 with two people on it. Adjust your trim and see how much difference that makes; if you have the front of your tunes in the water you are just plowing and wasting gas.

My current 25 QSBA with a yahama 300, ESP with the thicker toons, arch and filled with 56 gallons in the tank will run 45.

My current 25 QSBA with a yahama 300, ESP with the thicker toons, arch and filled with 56 gallons in the tank will run 45.
Do you know what prop you are running and RPM?

You've got that motor broke in already? lol.

You've got that motor broke in already? lol.
part of the break in, after first 2 hours, is to run it up to full throttle every now and then but for no longer than 5 minutes.

Back