Is the factory cover sufficient for Florida sun?

Craigzyc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just had my new R24 delivered yesterday. It’s going to live it’s life on a boat lift out in the sun.
My old boat was a standard fiberglass boat and the top was black. It was a nightmare to keep it from oxidizing.
The new cover leaves a lot of the sides as well as the entire bumper(whatever it’s call) and the front and rear platforms out in the sun.
Is that going to be a problem?

I’m thinking of having some extensions added onto the existing cover to come down around below the platform, is this overkill?

Hi everyone,
Just had my new R24 delivered yesterday. It’s going to live it’s life on a boat lift out in the sun.
My old boat was a standard fiberglass boat and the top was black. It was a nightmare to keep it from oxidizing.
The new cover leaves a lot of the sides as well as the entire bumper(whatever it’s call) and the front and rear platforms out in the sun.

I’m thinking of having some extensions added onto the existing cover to come down around below the platform, is this overkill?
No not overkill! The mooring cover on my old Bennington covered the entire front and back and protected the flooring from the sun fading it. Mooring covers on newer models today like yours don't cover as much. Do you have a good canvas shop near you that can install extensions for more coverage? I think it's worth it in my opinion.

No not overkill! The mooring cover on my old Bennington covered the entire front and back and protected the flooring from the sun fading it. Mooring covers on newer models today like yours don't cover as much. Do you have a good canvas shop near you that can install extensions for more coverage? I think it's worth it in my opinion.
Yea, we have an excellent local shop, I unfortunately don’t have a trailer tho being that it’s on a lift which makes it a little more difficult

@CLDave
So would I, but they aren’t allowed where I am
Then yes, I'd pop for more coverage. The consensus seems to be that the front and rear decks will fade a bit with no protection - my 2011 had a cover that snapped to the very front under the bow rub-rail, and did the same for most of the stern. Any good canvas shop should be able to create and install a good full-coverage setup for you.

With you not being able to add a canopy to your lift, I too would recommend extending the cover for greater protection from the Florida sun. You’ll have both more intense sun impact, as well as longer duration throughout the year compared to someone such as myself up in Michigan.

I added a canopy to my lift here in FL. Keeps the sun off and the rain too!

Then yes, I'd pop for more coverage. The consensus seems to be that the front and rear decks will fade a bit with no protection - my 2011 had a cover that snapped to the very front under the bow rub-rail, and did the same for most of the stern. Any good canvas shop should be able to create and install a good full-coverage setup for you.
I will say, 6 years and my rear seagrass deck looks no different than under the cover. I thought it had changed but after a gentle pressure wash the color was no different.

A playpen cover that goes all the way down to the front rub rail is both good and bad. Before my new Bennington I covered my old boat with a full length cover. Every time I covered I was down on my hands and knees on the front deck. After 27 years the front carpeting looked like new but covering was a pain. My new Bennington might fade a bit more but the ease of covering makes any fading worth it.

Hi everyone,

I cover my 2020-22 ft SX 5 months of the year which is predominantly the summer months as we go home to PA. The cover protects pretty well and we do need to clear the upholstery and I use a pressure washer for the deck. I have a double Bimini which I think helps a lot with the elements.

Back