Max Speed W/ Bimini Top Raised?

Our warning sticker states to not use the front fishing seats while underway. These are full reclining helms seats inside the fence. CYA warning stickers all over the boat.

Our warning sticker states to not use the front fishing seats while underway. These are full reclining helms seats inside the fence. CYA warning stickers all over the boat.
Isnt that the truth, stickers everywhere.

I checked my Bimini and it says 30mph max with it up. So considering I will mainly be using it up with family, and over 30mph my wife gets nervous...the math works itself out.

With family I leave it up, 30 is the limit but I would feel fine edging a few more mph over that
If I want to go faster without the family, take it down and put the cover on to prevent the parachute.

Luckily its a 175SHO so its not like im sacrificing 50+mph speeds. I got 43mph on it the other day and that might be the best im looking at for speed without ideal conditions.

I have the electric / automatic bimini top. I bought my boat used and I don't see anywhere on the boat or bimini top, a max speed sticker. Does anyone here know what the official response is from Bennington for the electric bimini top on my 23 SSBXP? I don't mean to thread hijack here, but I think others might find it useful too.

I have the electric / automatic bimini top. I bought my boat used and I don't see anywhere on the boat or bimini top, a max speed sticker. Does anyone here know what the official response is from Bennington for the electric bimini top on my 23 SSBXP? I don't mean to thread hijack here, but I think others might find it useful too.
I have a 2017 24’ SSBXP with the electric bimini. I know mine has a max speed “sticker” or “print” somewhere on it. I LOVE having the elecitric bimini. However, I find that the electric bimini seems much more “fragile” when under any sort of speed as compared to a normal bimini that has better bracing/support. We don’t keep our bimini up if we are going anything above about 25-30 mph for that reason.

I get our boat back from winter storage in early May. If I remember, and if you haven’t gotten a response by then, PM me. I can try to update at that future time with what my sticker/print warning labels lists as the max mph limit with electric bimini up.

I have the power bimini and I love it especially since we have a couple of low bridges to go under . Yes, I also have the center toon storage and the extended aft deck and love them too.

My dealer mentioned the power biminis have a lot of warranty claims, so he talked me out of it. Who knows if that's actually true. But I could see that happening with a lot of stress on those gears? when running hard in big water. I don't see why if gentle on them they shouldn't last many years.

I've run high 30's with the curved bimini but wind direction also was a consideration - at the time it was a tailwind. In a strong headwind I try to keep it 30 or below. I also have the lock pin mod on the front arms otherwise they pop out even as slow as 20mph.

We have been up to 40 with our double Bimini up last summer. It's not like we cruise around like that all the time. We test drove a boat a few years ago that had a 350 Mercury Verado on the back and an open electric Bimini. The salesman was cruising along about 40mph when he looks over at my wife and I and says, hold on! He hit the throttle and the digital speedometer read 50-51. We asked about the stability of the electric Bimini because they don't have the supports like a regular Bimini top has and he said they are well built and can withstand higher speeds. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it firsthand......

We have been up to 40 with our double Bimini up last summer. It's not like we cruise around like that all the time. We test drove a boat a few years ago that had a 350 Mercury Verado on the back and an open electric Bimini. The salesman was cruising along about 40mph when he looks over at my wife and I and says, hold on! He hit the throttle and the digital speedometer read 50-51. We asked about the stability of the electric Bimini because they don't have the supports like a regular Bimini top has and he said they are well built and can withstand higher speeds. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it firsthand......

That dealer is soooo wrong - I have that setup and there's no way I'd run an open electric bimini top past 30 - even with the support straps on (which I always use when it's up/open and I'm moving past trolling speeds).

When I'm making speed runs I put the bimini into trailer position and use the metal stands. I've run it at 50+ with the top up and it bounces around pretty dramatically.

That dealer is soooo wrong - I have that setup and there's no way I'd run an open electric bimini top past 30 - even with the support straps on (which I always use when it's up/open and I'm moving past trolling speeds).

When I'm making speed runs I put the bimini into trailer position and use the metal stands. I've run it at 50+ with the top up and it bounces around pretty dramatically.
My wife and I were looking at each other wondering if it was going to blow off but it didn't. It actually held up pretty good. This one didn't even have any support straps. Personally I wouldn't have done it but I guess he was trying to impress us......

The problem is, Bimini's can act like air foils. That is, depending on each individual design, length, width, curvature, and more, they can have an affect on how the boat performs. When that happens, there can and often is, some serious strain on bimini mounting points. Some can push down on those mount points and some will potentially LIFT on those mount points. Our boat is easily capable of 50 mph with its 350HP Yamaha. But, the double bimini that came with it, has a tag right near the center top bar that states, the speed with the Bimini's up should NOT EXCEED 15 MPH!
The original Double Biminis on my 22SSX were posted “Max 15 MPH”. However I replaced both tops under warranty and now both state ”30 MPH Max Wind Speed”. INTERESTING!

One thing about the front biminis is that the forward support arm black plastic foot that latches starts to wear with use and can pop loose if you don't have a pin on a lanyard to securely lock it in place. The wind is pushing against it with speed so vibration , wind, and wear could cause it to release at high speed. A safety pin lock would be wise to add just in case. Maybe forward straps also. Then it would be safe.

One thing about the front biminis is that the forward support arm black plastic foot that latches starts to wear with use and can pop loose if you don't have a pin on a lanyard to securely lock it in place. The wind is pushing against it with speed so vibration , wind, and wear could cause it to release at high speed. A safety pin lock would be wise to add just in case. Maybe forward straps also. Then it would be safe.

Absolutely. We were caught in a vicious storm last summer and the front support arms came loose and the bimini violently pulled up. I intended to source some safety pins to prevent that from happening again. Saw some on here that would be perfect but didn't act on them at the time. Now I can't find them. They consist of a pin that goes through a hole you drill in the support arm together with a square wire bail that keeps them from coming out. I'm sure Mcmaster Carr has them, but i don't know what to search for. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Tractor Supply or Rural King has them. Hitch pins.

16DC9BC5-B31C-4FE8-9CA7-4BAE4A2522AE.jpeg

^ That's it! Thank you.

They also make a quick release pin that has small balls in detents that either are spring loaded or can be manually retracted (push button, not pictured below).

Serves the same purpose without the bail arm.

91AFBC25-7EE9-46C6-A47F-794F46DA9427.jpeg

Back