More advice on a new boat, little different topic.

RyanClay24

Reaction score
Brand new member here. I currently have a 2004 Harris 22' FloteBote with a Suzuki 140. I am looking to upgrade to my "forever" boat in buying a Bennington brand new. I have never bought a brand new boat as I try to just get a deal on a used one for a few years then sell and upgrade. However, after marriage, my priorities have been changed (for me) to getting EXACTLY what we want. haha I am getting the SSX Benny that has the two fishing seats and aft livewell. We believe this to be the best all-around boat for what we like to do (Pontoon in the front, fish in the back). I know I want a Yamaha motor so that debate doesn't need to happen. My questions are, should I get the 150, 175VMAX, or 200? The difference in price being a little over $2k between each model. I know the 150 will be a major improvement over the Suzuki 140 I have now so it might not be so bad because that 140 "was enough". However, I don't want to regret not buying up the motor if it is necessary. My worries: 89 versus 87 octane (not a huge deal, but it is still factored in), the small 32 gallon tank, which is the largest I can get with the ski pylon (was thinking about getting the 45 gallon and putting on an aftermarket ski bar??), and the fuel economy. Normally, it will just be the wife and I with our two dogs. Sometimes another couple or 4-member family, and rarely maybe 10 people or so to watch fireworks. We pull a tube, maybe a ski rarely. Any help with making the motor decision would be amazing. Also, if there's an in-toon gas tank that's larger and an option with the SSX, I am not aware of it. I am mostly in a river, but there are times where I want to go out into the Gulf of Mexico fishing on a calm day and I don't want to have to worry if I have the fuel to get back. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Don’t believe I have ever heard anyone say, “I wish I had gotten a smaller motor.”
Go with what your budget allows and don’t look back.
Good luck.

I agree that no one will ever wish for a smaller motor. I’m just worried that, with the limited 32 gallon tank, I won’t have much for range. If I’m pulling a tube all day, I don’t want to have to fill up several times a day. Am I on the right track as far as fuel consumption? The 200hp said 19+ gph at wot so that’s only an hour and a half on one tank. I obviously wouldn’t be wot the whole time, but 1.5 hours wouldn’t equate into 8 hours very easily?!?!
I clicked on the ESP to see about fuel tank options, but it didn’t show any more options. Maybe I can see if the dealer knows anything other than what’s on the build site.

22SSX rear fish with the optional ESP tritoon package comes with the following fuel tank as a mandatory option:

Screenshot_20201202-200426.png

If you can swing the added cost, I'd go for the F200 2.8L, since it's the exact same engine as the 150 and 175 and the most recommended prop for any 2.8L is the Reliance SDS 14.5x15.

They'll all perform around the same, but you know the drill: the higher the HP, the higher the retained value.

That being said, if you are really anticipating keeping it for a great long while, then dropping to the F150 non-Vmax will save quite a bit of coin and still get the job done for cruising, fishing, and pulling the occasional skier/tuber.

There are a handful of F150/VF150 owners here on the forum with 21-22' S series that can top out in the upper 30s to low 40s MPH range while in spectacular operating conditions...which is definitely stepping foot into the F175/VF175 and F200 territory.

A drawback to the ESP on the 22SSX is that the in-floor storage (ski locker) is not a possibility, because of the ginormous fuel tank.

Really depends on your desires, since the price of the ESP with the 54gal tank and no in-floor storage is going to be within spitting distance of the SPS with optional 45gal tank and in-floor storage.

Last edited:
I agree that no one will ever wish for a smaller motor. I’m just worried that, with the limited 32 gallon tank, I won’t have much for range. If I’m pulling a tube all day, I don’t want to have to fill up several times a day. Am I on the right track as far as fuel consumption? The 200hp said 19+ gph at wot so that’s only an hour and a half on one tank. I obviously wouldn’t be wot the whole time, but 1.5 hours wouldn’t equate into 8 hours very easily?!?!
I clicked on the ESP to see about fuel tank options, but it didn’t show any more options. Maybe I can see if the dealer knows anything other than what’s on the build site.
I know how you feel. I ended up ordering a 26 foot LX with a 300 Yamaha motor. I went back-and-forth with the regional sales rep and engineering because even with the ESP package it said the biggest fuel tank I could do was 31 gallons. We ended up sticking with this layout because we will mostly be cruising slowly and chilling at the sandbars. I would’ve much preferred a bigger fuel tank but the only way to get it in our layout would have been to lose the entire aft deck. Doesn’t sound like a very good trade off to me. Could’ve went with a different floor plan but we felt this would work best for us.

The main thing you will have to consider is what you’re going to be using your boat for. You mentioned in your first post you won’t be pulling a tube or skis much so it might work for you. If you’re going to go into the gulf on long cruises then you would probably want a bigger tank. You may want to consider the ESP package if you’re going on big water since it is more buoyant and rides better in the waves. You will just have to decide what you’re going to be using the boat for and what you want out of it. It’s a tough decision so good luck!

22SSX rear fish with the optional ESP tritoon package comes with the following fuel tank as a mandatory option:

View attachment 28438

If you can swing the added cost, I'd go for the F200 2.8L, since it's the exact same engine as the 150 and 175 and the most recommended prop for any 2.8L is the Reliance SDS 14.5x15.

They'll all perform around the same, but you know the drill: the higher the HP, the higher the retained value.

That being said, if you are really anticipating keeping it for a great long while, then dropping to the F150 non-Vmax will save quite a bit of coin and still get the job done for cruising, fishing, and pulling the occasional skier/tuber.

There are a handful of F150/VF150 owners here on the forum with 21-22' S series that can top out in the upper 30s to low 40s MPH range while in spectacular operating conditions...which is definitely stepping foot into the F175/VF175 and F200 territory.

A drawback to the ESP on the 22SSX is that the in-floor storage (ski locker) is not a possibility, because of the ginormous fuel tank.

Really depends on your desires, since the price of the ESP with the 54gal tank and no in-floor storage is going to be within spitting distance of the SPS with optional 45gal tank and in-floor storage.
Well i'm not sure how you got that to pop up! When I added the ESP, it took away my ability to upgrade the 23 gallon fuel tank AT ALL!
EDIT: It did not pop up, but I kept looking around and finally found where it checked the box for the in-toon 54 gallon tank. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I know how you feel. I ended up ordering a 26 foot LX with a 300 Yamaha motor. I went back-and-forth with the regional sales rep and engineering because even with the ESP package it said the biggest fuel tank I could do was 31 gallons. We ended up sticking with this layout because we will mostly be cruising slowly and chilling at the sandbars. I would’ve much preferred a bigger fuel tank but the only way to get it in our layout would have been to lose the entire aft deck. Doesn’t sound like a very good trade off to me. Could’ve went with a different floor plan but we felt this would work best for us.

The main thing you will have to consider is what you’re going to be using your boat for. You mentioned in your first post you won’t be pulling a tube or skis much so it might work for you. If you’re going to go into the gulf on long cruises then you would probably want a bigger tank. You may want to consider the ESP package if you’re going on big water since it is more buoyant and rides better in the waves. You will just have to decide what you’re going to be using the boat for and what you want out of it. It’s a tough decision so good luck!
How long are you able to drive at cruising speeds before refueling?

How long are you able to drive at cruising speeds before refueling?
I take delivery in the spring. I'm sure there are others on the forum with the ESP or SPS that can give you real life experience with this. If you search through the forum you will find some postings on this. On this thread I did earlier this topic came up around the end of page 2. Check it out for a couple veteran opinions.

Well i'm not sure how you got that to pop up! When I added the ESP, it took away my ability to upgrade the 23 gallon fuel tank AT ALL!
EDIT: It did not pop up, but I kept looking around and finally found where it checked the box for the in-toon 54 gallon tank. Thank you!!!

I did some more research:

Here are the MSRPs for some various SX rear fish models (no other options selected except what I've listed for each):

22SSX - $62051
-Extended Rear Deck is NOT an option
-SPS with hydraulic steering
-F200
-In-Floor Storage
-Optional 45gal tank

22SSX - $66623
-ESP w/mandatory "optional" 54gal fuel tank and hydraulic steering with power assisted steering
-F200

22SSXAPG - $63818
-Extended Rear Deck is standard equipment
-F200
-In-Floor Storage
-Optional 45gal tank

22SSXAPG - $68390
-ESP w/mandatory "optional" 54gal fuel tank and hydraulic steering with power assisted steering
-F200

23SSXAPG - $71345
-ESP with hydraulic steering and power assisted steering
-F200
-Optional/Selectable 54gal center tube fuel tank
-In-Floor Storage

Just some data points for you to compare.

If you want the 22' with the ski locker, then you will be limited to the SPS, but there is a bit larger optional 45gal fuel tank available.
If you want the combination of the ESP, larger 54gal fuel tank, and ski locker, then you'll have to move up to the 23' (and spend quite a bit more).
...keep in mind these prices are list prices with no other options/accessories selected.

I did some more research:

Here are the MSRPs for some various SX rear fish models (no other options selected except what I've listed for each):

22SSX - $62051
-F200
-In-Floor Storage
-Optional 45gal tank

22SSX - $66623
-F200

22SSXAPG - $63818
-F200
-In-Floor Storage
-Optional 45gal tank

22SSXAPG - $68390
-F200

23SSXAPG - $71345
-ESP with hydraulic steering and power assisted steering
-F200
-Optional/Selectable 54gal center tube fuel tank
-In-Floor Storage

Just some data points for you to compare.

If you want the 22' with the ski locker, then you will be limited to the SPS, but there is a bit larger optional 45gal fuel tank available.
If you want the combination of the ESP, larger 54gal fuel tank, and ski locker, then you'll have to move up to the 23' (and spend quite a bit more).
...keep in mind these prices are list prices with no other options/accessories selected.
This was very helpful! I really appreciate it. I did not know the difference in the SSX and SSXAPG. I was wanting the extended deck but just assumed it was on the SSX. Boy would I have been disappointed when I got my boat! haha

Buying HP is never cheaper than at the time of your build. Buy as much as you can afford. Our first boat was a 23 GCW with what I think was a 22 - 25 gallon tank fueling a Yamaha F150. We would tube all day and not have to fill up before returning to the marina for the day.

As a follow up, I have found a great deal on a used Benny with "most" of the options we desired. I will have to add underwater lights, the helm chair with bolster, and a ski bar is all. Can anyone help me with specific things to look for when buying a used Bennington? I am fairly familiar with tritoons, I just don't know if there are "normal" problems I need to look for. Maybe direct me to another forum that has covered this topic? Thanks in advance! You guys have been amazing thus far!

As a follow up, I have found a great deal on a used Benny with "most" of the options we desired. I will have to add underwater lights, the helm chair with bolster, and a ski bar is all. Can anyone help me with specific things to look for when buying a used Bennington? I am fairly familiar with tritoons, I just don't know if there are "normal" problems I need to look for. Maybe direct me to another forum that has covered this topic? Thanks in advance! You guys have been amazing thus far!
If it's less than 10 years old, most of the big worries will be covered by the 10-year warranty. Seats, toons, gas tank, electronics, etc. The motor is a separate issue - generally most engine warranties are 3 years or so.

Ask them how they winterized (if you're in a freezing state) and ask about oil and gear lube changes. Test drive if possible. Look for any scratches, dings, rubs, stains, etc. A well-cared for boat should still look new - even if it's more than 10 years old (I sold our 2011 to a family member this year and it seriously looked brand new).

If you're new to boating, get a friend who has some experience to go with you. You could of course post pictures or a link here for our input.

Good luck!

The 53 gal tank is crazy expensive, but I sure seem to fill it often enough. I’d hate to only have 30 gal. Plus when the water is rough and I have 4 people in the front, the weight of the fuel helps keep the bow up and everyone dry.

Make sure to follow the warranty transfer process.

4. WARRANTY PERIOD. The Bennington limited warranty is expressed as follows, except for and subject to other coverages and conditions listed in the limited warranty. Limited lifetime structural warranty and wood component warranty. Bennington provides a limited warranty against structural failure on all pontoons, gates, channels, motor mounts or railings resulting from defects in material and or workmanship under normal non-commercial use. Additionally, Bennington will, at its discretion, repair or replace any wooden deck or wood component which fails as a result of defects in material and or workmanship free of charge for materials and labor to the original owner/retail purchaser only. Transferability - the Limited lifetime structural warranty and wood component warranty is transferable within ten (l0) years of the original purchase date of the boat. Once transferred, coverage extends for a maximum of ten (l0) years from date of original purchase. Completion of a warranty transfer is required through an authorized Bennington dealer.

Make sure to follow the warranty transfer process.

4. WARRANTY PERIOD. The Bennington limited warranty is expressed as follows, except for and subject to other coverages and conditions listed in the limited warranty. Limited lifetime structural warranty and wood component warranty. Bennington provides a limited warranty against structural failure on all pontoons, gates, channels, motor mounts or railings resulting from defects in material and or workmanship under normal non-commercial use. Additionally, Bennington will, at its discretion, repair or replace any wooden deck or wood component which fails as a result of defects in material and or workmanship free of charge for materials and labor to the original owner/retail purchaser only. Transferability - the Limited lifetime structural warranty and wood component warranty is transferable within ten (l0) years of the original purchase date of the boat. Once transferred, coverage extends for a maximum of ten (l0) years from date of original purchase. Completion of a warranty transfer is required through an authorized Bennington dealer.
Here is the link to the boat. I’m in Florida so winterizing isn’t a huge issue.

At the beginning of this thread it was mentioned a few times that "Nobody ever wished that they had gotten the smaller motor". I had to laugh because I am one that " Got the smaller motor! " As most of you know we had the 4.3L V6 220HP I/O for 12 yrs. Great hole shot, pulled everything we wanted to pull and didn't suck gas out of that 52 gallon tank as long as we weren't mashing that throttle down! Bought another boat last year and it had a Mercury 150 on it. Our 1st outboard. We were really leery of dropping down in horsepower until we took a test drive. We were pleasantly surprised by it's holeshot and with my wife and I onboard our salesman easily hit 40. Sold!!! That 150 has done everything we wanted it to do in our 1st season with it. So...... I'm the guy that got the smaller motor and loves it!!!

At the beginning of this thread it was mentioned a few times that "Nobody ever wished that they had gotten the smaller motor". I had to laugh because I am one that " Got the smaller motor! "

Here.... hold my beer .... :p:p:p

Back