New Build, thank you to everyone!

big shooter

Reaction score
Well it has been an emotional rollercoaster the past week or so. From thinking we were definitely buying a Bennington, to realizing that wasn't going to happen when we couldn't make a deal on an Sx, to looking at other brands, back to signing the paper on our new L build.

You all helped me immensely and are the reason we finally have a deal! Thank you!

I started this adventure trying to decide between a bar, dinette or stern recliners. Oh those were the days, unlimited money window shopping. In the end we ordered a 20LSRC which means the table and recliners are waiting in Elkhart for the next lucky person. The 20 foot really fit our needs better and of course there is never enough money.

I have owned 5 boats: My first boat was a Coleman Jon Boat as a teenager, then a 1965 Coronet 24 Cabin I paid $200 for, 1966 Starcraft 16foot, 1960s Owens 21foot Cabin Cruiser, and our current boat 1992 16foot Starcraft fishing boat which came with ripped carpet, faded seats. Not only have I never had a new boat, I never paid over $2,500 for a boat.

Now onto the build:
I think my salesman is as done with this negotiating as I am so unless there is a glaring problem with my build I would rather remain ignorant :)

20LSRC
115hp Yamaha (biggest for my boat)
SPS
Extended Aft Deck
Bennington Stainless Cleats
RGB Toe Kick (Wow Factor)
RGB Underwater (Keep the family happy)
RGB Cupholders (at this point why not add more lights)
Illuminated speakers come with it
Striker 4
Woodgrain table (I love woodworking and may just make my own, but just in case I don't get to it)
Second table mount so I can put it bow or aft
Single Battery Switch
Ski Tow Bar (probably not much tubing but I love the look of mounting stainless pole holders on it and using it for flags and fishing poles)
Curved Bimini Top (not lighted, had to draw the line on lights somewhere unless I name the boat Christmas Sea)

For now the colors are:
Textured Midnight Black panels
Smooth Metallic Platinum accent panels
Black Bimini
Platinum interior
Perforated Espresso interior accent

We want to see the samples one more time next week to finalize the colors, so thoughts on colors are most welcome! I actually like the sunset red, ocean blue also.

Well it has been an emotional rollercoaster the past week or so. From thinking we were definitely buying a Bennington, to realizing that wasn't going to happen when we couldn't make a deal on an Sx, to looking at other brands, back to signing the paper on our new L build.

You all helped me immensely and are the reason we finally have a deal! Thank you!

I started this adventure trying to decide between a bar, dinette or stern recliners. Oh those were the days, unlimited money window shopping. In the end we ordered a 20LSRC which means the table and recliners are waiting in Elkhart for the next lucky person. The 20 foot really fit our needs better and of course there is never enough money.

I have owned 5 boats: My first boat was a Coleman Jon Boat as a teenager, then a 1965 Coronet 24 Cabin I paid $200 for, 1966 Starcraft 16foot, 1960s Owens 21foot Cabin Cruiser, and our current boat 1992 16foot Starcraft fishing boat which came with ripped carpet, faded seats. Not only have I never had a new boat, I never paid over $2,500 for a boat.

Now onto the build:
I think my salesman is as done with this negotiating as I am so unless there is a glaring problem with my build I would rather remain ignorant :)

20LSRC
115hp Yamaha (biggest for my boat)
SPS
Extended Aft Deck
Bennington Stainless Cleats
RGB Toe Kick (Wow Factor)
RGB Underwater (Keep the family happy)
RGB Cupholders (at this point why not add more lights)
Illuminated speakers come with it
Striker 4
Woodgrain table (I love woodworking and may just make my own, but just in case I don't get to it)
Second table mount so I can put it bow or aft
Single Battery Switch
Ski Tow Bar (probably not much tubing but I love the look of mounting stainless pole holders on it and using it for flags and fishing poles)
Curved Bimini Top (not lighted, had to draw the line on lights somewhere unless I name the boat Christmas Sea)

For now the colors are:
Textured Midnight Black panels
Smooth Metallic Platinum accent panels
Black Bimini
Platinum interior
Perforated Espresso interior accent

We want to see the samples one more time next week to finalize the colors, so thoughts on colors are most welcome! I actually like the sunset red, ocean blue also.
Congratulations! Now the fun part, the excitement you’ll have that first season will more than be worth the headache you just went through

Congratulations big shooter! I personally think you did a fine job building her. Of course, pictures when you take her home...

Congrats big shooter! Gonna be a nice boat! "Chowdahead" Love it! My wife's a New Englander......

Since you got the RGB lights, you'll probably also have pre-wire for the outside/pontoon LEDs. If so, you can DIY them for $50 like I did: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/diy-color-changing-leds-for-pontoons-for-50.11343/

Also, good call on the bimini LED delete. I've had them on both my Bennies, and can count on one hand the times I've used them in the past 10 years.
Oh I already read your thread last week. I really appreciate all the info everyone provides. Fantastic site.

Congrats!!! Nice build!

Oh those were the days, unlimited money window shopping.
Man, that’s the best kind of shopping. Particularly when boat buying. :p

Looks like a great build, one done after lots of prudent research. Congratulations!!! Looking forward to pictures when you eventually get it. Good luck making those final color choices. My 2 cents, go with what you have spec’d now. It will look nice, and you already have an affinity for those choices to be at this point. At some point you have to move forward because its to darn easy to sit back and keep second guessing. All that second guessing fades away the first time out on the water with it.

Back