New Owner

Thanks...yes I would cruise all the time with the bolster up on the Crownline, even through no wake zones. Very comfy.

Of course, it's a personal preference but I don't miss the bolster seat on my other V-hull boats. The elevated helm provides me with the appropriate sight lines in comfort. Good luck with your decision but also keep in mind resale.

9 years, never tripped on helm. Tripped just walking around the boat, stubbed toes on cleats, pinched fingers on pop up cleats, but never tripped on helm.
We ended up with a G model because the S did not offer the raised helm in 2017. Our R we traded had it and it was a must have. For me it’s aesthetics more than function. I think it makes it look just a little more luxurious.

I've had both normal and raised helm - agree with SemperFi that it's a much more premium look, and I appreciate a bit more height to see when docking (even though I'm 6'4" it still helps).

I'm famous for tripping on things on the boat as well, and I've never come even close to tripping or stubbing a toe on the raised helm. A worthwhile investment in my opinion.

I have the bolster seat instead of the raised helm because I bought from the dealer's inventory on hand, and it works OK but to me is not comfortable enough to use while cruising any distance. I only use it for docking or when there are a lot of other boats around. I would recommend an elevated helm to help see over passengers, because boats in your path will at some point hide behind those passengers' heads, and you may be surprised as they suddenly appear a bit closer than you would like for them to be. Don't ask how I know this. I, too, have slipped, tripped, stubbed and pinched but don't have a raised helm deck to blame for any of it. However, I am perfectly happy with the look of the level flooring throughout.

We never had the opportunity to have the raised helm in either pontoon boat we have owned. (Bought one used and the other was from Dealer stock) It looks pretty cool and it gives a separation from the rest of the boat. How functional or effective that 3 or 4 inch height difference remains to be seen for me. If I can't see I just ask the people in front of me to move to another seat.

9 years, never tripped on helm. Tripped just walking around the boat, stubbed toes on cleats, pinched fingers on pop up cleats, but never tripped on helm.
We ended up with a G model because the S did not offer the raised helm in 2017. Our R we traded had it and it was a must have. For me it’s aesthetics more than function. I think it makes it look just a little more luxurious.

Totally agree with SemperFi. The raised helm is Sooo much better looking. Don’t understand why it’s not the standard on all models

Another vote for the raised helm - I'm clumsy as hell and have never tripped on it in the 5 years we've owned our G.

I added the raised helm to the build of my 2021 23LX and really like it, only struck it with my foot once and now no problem. I'm 5 ft 11 inches tall and it offers great visibility for docking. In my previous pontoon, a Premier Sunsation 21, I always had to stand to dock.
Sandy

Regardless of raised helm or not, the flip-up seat allows you to see better over the windscreen. When there's a bunch of debris in the water following a storm I'm on the constant lookout for logs/new deadheads so I don't lose my lower unit or worse. When sitting it's hard to differentiate between debris, a wave crest or the top of the windscreen so that extra 6-8 inches of height makes a big difference in navigating hazardous conditions.

I'm a center console guy at heart as well so I just like standing. Better view of what's going around me (birds, boats, people, breaking fish, flirting women, etc.)

I opted not to get the raised helm and go with the bolster instead. It's usually only my wife and I out on the boat these days so I don't have heads in my way. It's also bad enough that I don't have very much wind protection at speed (the cheap windshield doesn't do anything to block the wind) and the raised helm would have made it worse. If I need to have more visibility to see debris on the water, I'm usually going a lot slower and can use the bolster seat.

23 LSB, ESP package, 250 VMAX SHO, ocean blue textured panels, platinum smooth accent, platinum pillow top diamond pressed interior with ocean blue accent, platinum canvas, swingback plus, curved bimini, stereo remote, Go7 Simrad display, washdown, privacy option with porta potti, Benny quick fender latch kit, in floor storage, dual batteries, wavetamer, pop up cleats, co-captain seats, vinyl wrapped luxury recliners, ski pylon and salt water package. And galvanized bunk trailer with spare. I think that's it! I read a LOT of posts out hear to see what folks were saying. It was VERY helpful in making all the final decisions!!! We are in the northeast right now, but headed to FL in a couple years, the panhandle.

On the cover, was wondering what input folks had relative to keeping the inside of the boat dry? I heard they let water in, particularly from the bow. I already have a tentative appointment for next May to bring to a local shop that does just boat covers. They've done 2 for me in the past and they are great! Will likely just have a whole cover made that will cover the whole thing to keep water out.

Looks likes great build! Since you are moving to Florida in future… salt water package with sealed strakes.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm going do decide on this over the weekend.

Have another question for you, the blackout package. All 5 of those the dealer has in stock have the blackout package. I think it looks nice, but it ain't cheap! I have 3 concerns with it (other than cost): 1. will show any scratches more; 2. once we end up in a salt water environment any minor pitting will show up more; 3. any wax that gets on the black will be a problem since the black rails are a matt finish. Which leads me to the cleaning question...I am a fanatic about cleaning, do you just wash and wax the panels with an automotive wax? It's great to have this forum to ask questions, you guys are great!!!

I use mothers Marine Spray Wax .
1631880335820.png

The black on mine has been relatively scratch-resistant - it's not some delicate coating and stands up to some very rough abuse. That's not to say however that a kid dropping an anchor on it won't show through... but a sharpie will handle those inevitable events.

I run brackish water and don't see any issues with pitting, but a pure saltwater environment over a number of years is much harsher than what I've experienced. Anodized aluminum is tough stuff and my guess is it will be fine.

Lastly I was fairly diligent about keeping the boat cleaned for the first 3-4 months including the panels, but that plan all went to hell when coming back from a fishing trip one night and running through a bug hatch. Thousands of little white carcasses on everything especially the front panels. It took me about two hours cleaning that up a few weeks later, only to run through another bug storm days after. So recognizing the futility of it I now just run a bug-covered boat all year and save my hours of cleaning doing something else I enjoy. I'll give it a once over every 6 months just to keep it from getting embarrassing and gross. Life is too short!

Comfy enough - I never use for cruising, just when I am up and about towing, night driving, or docking/maneuvering in tight spots. Not as comfy as my friends bolster on his Chaparral, but love the feature! Definitely happy with it over the raised helm - IMO.
I guess this depends on your individual size but I noticed that with the bolster down I can feel the metal bars inside the seat, and its a little uncomfortable. Have you noticed anything like that? I was a little disappointed in that because I like to take long cruises and this could be a problem...

That was my concern. With the flip up section being so narrow it appeared there was the potential for issues. Perhaps the bolster buddy or raised helm will be the best route.

The bolster down is comfortable, to me at least. I don't feel any bars at all - perhaps they changed the design or supplier?

Now with the bolster up, you feel a semi-hard edge so I would categorize it more as a leaning post and not a true seat. But my rear end has plenty of "supplemental cushion" to make up for it!

Back