New Problems - Near Electrical Fire

Holy $#&#!!! What a mess! Looking on the bright side you have your boat back and you guys are going to have a great summer!!! Hopefully the dealer will be responsive and fix all of your concerns for you in the off season. How can they be that careless with a customers boat while in their possession?!? Enjoy your summer/boat Jeff!!!

One more thing...... I feel since it was in the shop waiting for parts for repairs for this period of time I don't think they should charge you "storage". JMO!

Good lesson for me is, take pics / video of boat when dealer takes it and then take pics / video at delivery. Slam dunk case for any issues now. Sorry about the issues.

The storage costs should be an easy argument to win and maybe they are putting on you so you can “win one” and they avoid other issues.

Well....at least the boat is running and you had a great weather day on the water. In my opinion, they should not charge you for storage while it was in for repairs, and I would ask for a new motor cowling, new back ladder, and new Bimini boot. Then hopefully the other scuffs and scratches aren't that bad or they offer to fix them. I'm hoping they own up to their screw ups and make them right.

Oh man! Hate this for you. That's a lot of small damage. You sure they didn't fix the boat quickly and put it in their rental fleet for the last 10 months? ;)

This is why I do as much work on my house and toys as possible. Unfortunately most people do not respect others property and in return crap like this happens. I’d raise hell.

Jeff, liquidate all the toys and properties and start over fresh.

Jeff, liquidate all the toys and properties and start over fresh.
A lot of truth and rationale in your DIY philosophy!

Your point above is the thought nagging away in my head. If I did, no better time than now with values the way they are!

I am feeling like I have a glitch in the system…a corrupted file somewhere, and a system reboot would do the trick!

That said, my wife has said we need to wait until at least late summer and re-evaluate if we REALLY want to do something this drastic. She is concerned about us making a knee jerk decision - Likely an accurate point.

You sure they didn't fix the boat quickly and put it in their rental fleet for the last 10 months? ;)
HA! And now we have the whole story. Thanks…I needed a good laugh about it all.

Last edited:
In person -Always the best way. Then follow up with a written statement of what happened at meeting. Black and white explains exactly what is to happen and who does what.

I'd record the meeting with my iPhone if I were you. I'd probably do it unobtrusively to avoid setting the wrong tone. I wouldn't lie about it.

Recording like that is illegal in many areas.

Good call Tim - MI is a 2-party consent state, meaning both parties need to be made aware of recording. https://recordinglaw.com/party-two-party-consent-states/michigan-recording-laws/

I'd still record the walk-through with the owner, and offer to share with them.
I had thought about videoing the walk through. With MI being a two party state, I had not planned on recording the meeting due to the tone it might set. I will write down notes immediately after to capture details.

Assuming the meeting is fruitful, I like Timdelta’s idea of then sharing those with clarity with the parties present as to what happens next, who is responsible for what, and time frames/metrics. Hopefully that will provide a roadmap to a more smooth resolution and repairs/replacement items.

So sorry to hear about the continued challenges you are dealing with (with the boat and neighbors)! You're always quick to offer some encouragement and good advice to everyone on the board so hopefully we all can at least continue to offer support and send some positive vibes your way.

From personal experience, I agree with what others have said in at least letting some of the frustration with everything calm a bit before making any major decisions. Probably similar to where you are, home values have skyrocketed here over the last couple of years and there are definitely times that we think about cashing in (we also deal with some major annoyances from renters on occasion). What always takes us away from that is the realization that once what we have is gone, there is a chance we may not get it (or something similar) back again. At the end of the day, we love the lake and the activities we can do here as a family. It's really a shame that a neighbor, vacationer, or marina can strip some of that enjoyment away, but I always try to focus on how fortunate we are to even be in the position to be annoyed.

Best of luck with your follow up meeting!

Yeah. I am staying on the right side of Johnny Law. ;) :) Besides…the high school teacher inside me is a rule follower. Well, at least most of the time. Ha!
So glad you finally got your boat back! With what you went through you’d think they would have wrapped it in a big bow and had her sparkling

With what you went through you’d think they would have wrapped it in a big bow and had her sparkling
Kind of what we were thinking ourselves. Apparently they had other plans. D’oh!

Last edited:
Back