On Board Tool Box

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
So, the delayed arrival date means I am trying to pre-purchase everything I need for the 26 LXSB I have on order (Early June Delivery) so I can load and go when it arrives.

Our lake is 5 hours from home (LA to Havasu), and while I always toss my toolbox in the truck I also like a dedicated tool box for each of my “toys”. Possibly you pro’s would share some of your advice on must have tools, parts and repair items to keep handy on/for the Benny!?

I assume everything is SAE on the Benny, I understand the Mercury OB is metric though could not get this confirmed and not sure if I would be doing much on the engine.

I primarily boat on Lake Havasu, generally have cell service but will also carry a marine radio and looking into tow services. So the goal is a small set of tools (need to leave a lot of room for coolers) to do the typical DYI stuff outside of normal maintenance. I am a bit handy, but not going to dive into anything too complicated and with the 10 year warranty, the Benny Dealer is 20 minutes away at the lake.

The tool “kits” are easy, but it seems they have a LOT of stuff that would never get used, most only have metric or SAE – so it seems a custom set is ideal (though probably a bit more expensive). So, what I have compiled after a bit of reading and searching:

Normal stuff: quality screwdrivers, electrical tape, wire strippers and connectors, a couple of adjustable wrenches, plyers, needle noses, voltage tester, headband flashlight, jumper battery (though I have 2 onboard), jumper cables, duct tape, zip ties, big hammer (when everything else fails).

Specific / Specialty items:
  • Wrenches / sockets to have on the boat? – Any key sizes? I imagine the sizes of what needed on a day to day basis is limited?
  • Floating Prop Wrench – appears the Mercury is 1 5/16.
  • Prop Pulling Tools & Grease
  • Extra prop, Hub Kit (FloTourq II for Mer350) and prop nuts/washers.
  • WD40 or other spray lube
  • LockTite Blue 242
  • Spare Fuses & puller:
    • Engine: ACT 20, 5 and 2 Amp.
    • Benny: not in manual!? Will figure out once I have the boat.
  • Spare Bulbs (manual does not provide any specs – will get from dealer).
  • Diving Mask and Snorkel (I have seen all sorts of crazy stuff get caught in the prop).
  • Magnetic pick up tool.
  • Tow Line (Seems I could use my tube tow line rated at 6K).
  • Rigging knife – key to remove stubborn knots and line that may get caught around the prop.
And should I really have the following on board:
  • Quality Torque Wrench from prop (or maybe not if just for emergencies – have that on the truck)??
  • Hex or specialty wrenches (no tower)???
  • Adjustable Face Spanner Wrench (need to look to see if Benny has any related screw off panels - recommended in an article)???
Any feedback and advice is appreciated – thank you!!!!!!

Larry

Brand new Benny? You should need all of the following:
  • Anchor/Rode: probably 50 - 100 feet worth - people seem to like Box Anchors, or I think I'm getting a Digger)
  • Suntan lotion (no spray)
  • Jumper battery if you don't have dual-batteries
  • Phillips/Slot head screwdriver (just in case of loose screws - I had the helm latch go loose once
  • Maybe an adjustable wrench and a prop wrench if you want to carry a spare prop The Bennington helm-switches are all breaker-style, but you may have a couple in-line fuses under the helm for radio or other things.
In 11 years of Benny ownership (and 2nd Benny) I've never had a need for anything else.

Enjoy the new boat!

Brand new Benny? You should need all of the following:
  • Anchor/Rode: probably 50 - 100 feet worth - people seem to like Box Anchors, or I think I'm getting a Digger)
  • Suntan lotion (no spray)
  • Jumper battery if you don't have dual-batteries
  • Phillips/Slot head screwdriver (just in case of loose screws - I had the helm latch go loose once
  • Maybe an adjustable wrench and a prop wrench if you want to carry a spare prop The Bennington helm-switches are all breaker-style, but you may have a couple in-line fuses under the helm for radio or other things.
In 11 years of Benny ownership (and 2nd Benny) I've never had a need for anything else.

Enjoy the new boat!
Yes, the box anchors are what all my buddies use with great success, easy to store, I am going to try the small 19lb to start, move up if that does hold us properly. I noted the large is suggested by Slide Anchor, I have read a lot of 25' owners with double Bimini's that said the small works for everything other than high winds - at which point we are going back to camp anyway!

That is great to hear no on water issues in 11 years! Makes me smile about choosing Bennington!!!!

It's certainly good to be prepared, because whatever can happen...
I put together an emergency / tool kit for my last boat when it was new. We kept it in the water at the marina, and the moisture caused some of the tools to rust surprisingly fast. So, if your boat lives on the water, you might consider air tight containers, get some rust-proof tools, or just carry them off and on each time out.

Don’t laugh, two orange extendable paddles.
Not just for signaling if in distress, but yes you can move the toon with them. Slowly, but you can (if no major headwind). Also portable air horn. No one will hear you yelling over their motor. Trust me. I towed a guy that said he was waving and yelling and no one paid attention. I never heard him, but thought he seemed to be waving his arms. You can’t see that very easy depending on background. A orange paddle, I’d have seen that easily.

So, the delayed arrival date means I am trying to pre-purchase everything I need for the 26 LXSB I have on order (Early June Delivery) so I can load and go when it arrives.

Our lake is 5 hours from home (LA to Havasu), and while I always toss my toolbox in the truck I also like a dedicated tool box for each of my “toys”. Possibly you pro’s would share some of your advice on must have tools, parts and repair items to keep handy on/for the Benny!?

I assume everything is SAE on the Benny, I understand the Mercury OB is metric though could not get this confirmed and not sure if I would be doing much on the engine.

I primarily boat on Lake Havasu, generally have cell service but will also carry a marine radio and looking into tow services. So the goal is a small set of tools (need to leave a lot of room for coolers) to do the typical DYI stuff outside of normal maintenance. I am a bit handy, but not going to dive into anything too complicated and with the 10 year warranty, the Benny Dealer is 20 minutes away at the lake.

The tool “kits” are easy, but it seems they have a LOT of stuff that would never get used, most only have metric or SAE – so it seems a custom set is ideal (though probably a bit more expensive). So, what I have compiled after a bit of reading and searching:

Normal stuff: quality screwdrivers, electrical tape, wire strippers and connectors, a couple of adjustable wrenches, plyers, needle noses, voltage tester, headband flashlight, jumper battery (though I have 2 onboard), jumper cables, duct tape, zip ties, big hammer (when everything else fails).

Specific / Specialty items:
  • Wrenches / sockets to have on the boat? – Any key sizes? I imagine the sizes of what needed on a day to day basis is limited?
  • Floating Prop Wrench – appears the Mercury is 1 5/16.
  • Prop Pulling Tools & Grease
  • Extra prop, Hub Kit (FloTourq II for Mer350) and prop nuts/washers.
  • WD40 or other spray lube
  • LockTite Blue 242
  • Spare Fuses & puller:
    • Engine: ACT 20, 5 and 2 Amp.
    • Benny: not in manual!? Will figure out once I have the boat.
  • Spare Bulbs (manual does not provide any specs – will get from dealer).
  • Diving Mask and Snorkel (I have seen all sorts of crazy stuff get caught in the prop).
  • Magnetic pick up tool.
  • Tow Line (Seems I could use my tube tow line rated at 6K).
  • Rigging knife – key to remove stubborn knots and line that may get caught around the prop.
And should I really have the following on board:
  • Quality Torque Wrench from prop (or maybe not if just for emergencies – have that on the truck)??
  • Hex or specialty wrenches (no tower)???
  • Adjustable Face Spanner Wrench (need to look to see if Benny has any related screw off panels - recommended in an article)???
Any feedback and advice is appreciated – thank you!!!!!!

Larry
Larry, my guess is that you're a former Boy Scout (Motto: be prepared!). But, even if you're not, you seem to be very thorough in most everything you do. I'd say that what you take along should reflect where you're going and whether you'll have to save yourself. Me, we're on a large inland lake so eventually I'll make it to shore one way or another. As such, my tool box is very basic: combo straight/phillips screwdriver, plyers, adjustable wrench, spare fuses, a whistle and cash. This in turn, leaves plenty of room for coolers. I like to think that because I keep up with the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations, it's allowed me to avoid minor problems on the water and I guess sheer luck has kept anything major from happening over the past forty some years. If that does happen some day, I'll depend on my cell phone and fellow boater.

If that does happen some day, I'll depend on my cell phone and fellow boater.
I don’t carry much with me either - same reasons as Michiman, and on the same lake.

In that regard, should you ever have an issue on the lake Steve, just give me a call. I’m sure I can send my wife out to fetch you and your boat…ROFL. :D

We have a small tool kit. The tools do rust in KY humidity. Only tool every used was a fillet knife to cut the ski rope off the input shaft on a old jet boat and the Marine Asset phone number. When these boats break, it is usually major and the big hammer doesn't fix something already broken.:) The prop wrench and spare prop are a good idea. I think that if I hit something hard enough to break the prop, I have properly lost the outdrive. Small tool kit, big coolers, cell phone, Life is good on the water!

Larry, my guess is that you're a former Boy Scout (Motto: be prepared!). But, even if you're not, you seem to be very thorough in most everything you do. I'd say that what you take along should reflect where you're going and whether you'll have to save yourself. Me, we're on a large inland lake so eventually I'll make it to shore one way or another. As such, my tool box is very basic: combo straight/phillips screwdriver, plyers, adjustable wrench, spare fuses, a whistle and cash. This in turn, leaves plenty of room for coolers. I like to think that because I keep up with the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations, it's allowed me to avoid minor problems on the water and I guess sheer luck has kept anything major from happening over the past forty some years. If that does happen some day, I'll depend on my cell phone and fellow boater.
LOL - I have always been a tinkerer and love camping, where I learned the "be prepared" mindset - especially as we are often offgrid and at least an hour from anything. My son was a Boy Scout, so picked up a few lessons there also! And yes, I found there are always a few things that each situation demand to be prepared for, so looking for some of that build up wisdom here - seems a lot of the feedback is: These Benny's are reliable. Combined with a small, busy lake that get's cell service - seems I will just fine......so appreciate all the advice and feedback!

LOL - I have always been a tinkerer and love camping, where I learned the "be prepared" mindset - especially as we are often offgrid and at least an hour from anything. My son was a Boy Scout, so picked up a few lessons there also! And yes, I found there are always a few things that each situation demand to be prepared for, so looking for some of that build up wisdom here - seems a lot of the feedback is: These Benny's are reliable. Combined with a small, busy lake that get's cell service - seems I will just fine......so appreciate all the advice and feedback!
Being off the grid and at least an hour from civilization is certainly a self-rescue situation in my book and thus, prudent measures are called for in such instances. Lot's of folks carry fairly substantial toolboxes and equipment regardless, so your level of risk tolerance also comes into play (as well as your ability to tinker). I'm confident that you'll come up with a comfortable balance.

I keep on the boat a knife, 11in1 screwdriver, adjustable wrench in two sizes, side cutters, electrical and duct tape, several zip ties, battery jump box and an air horn. Paddle is required in NC waters. The 11in 1 covers a couple types and sizes of both Phillips and Flathead screws and the handle and all the bit holders are nut drivers in several common sizes. Never really needed much more.

I'm used to my toolbox on the boat not much different than the one for car repairs. Often when I'm on the water I think of something waiting to be repaired on land. Sometimes it happens that I buy some part and forget it in the car. In general, I have two huge drawers, which are replenished with new tools from case to case. It seems to indicate that it's time for me to take the pills, haha. Due to bad weather, I have not been able to bring myself to pick up a set of clamps from https://www.sandfieldengineering.com/toggle-clamps/ from the board for a week now. I need them at home, in the garage, but at that time for some reason, I wanted to leave them on the boat ...

Last edited:
Sorry to be late to the thread.

For those looking to change their prop on the water make sure you have a small section of 2x4 to block the prop as you wrench it off. Makes life a lot easier. You only need a small section but could really use anything in a pinch (rolled up towel, driftwood).

Also make sure you have a spare castle nut and stainless steel cotter pins.

Lastly a torque wrench is a good idea, but many including myself just snug it up. Yamaha specs 40-ft lbs I believe, but "snug" plus a little more to line up the cotter pin has never given me an issue. Just make sure the prop shaft is well greased and the thrust washer properly seats, and once the prop nut is tightened there isn't any major play in the prop.

I’m just sorry you’re a five-hour trip before you can boat! That’s awful! But Havasu is beautiful. I’m five minutes away from my marina (slipped boat) and I still complain that we haven’t gotten our lake house yet.

Back