Photos!

That is some drive. I have a little over an hour drive and I would have access to the great lakes via lake st. clair. I'm hoping to get out there once this summer but the views are nothing like you have.

It's a long one alright. Not bad when you spend 5 or 6 days at a time though. I'd never want to do less than 3 like I did on this trip. 

Beautiful Pix bcpnick, keep them coming

bcpnick: Hibernating here in the cold state of Wisconsin, check the forum occasionally but got umpteen email updates indicating lots of activity on this thread! HAD to sign in just to comment! I was ooing and ahhing and then I got to the one with the STARS and...I literally lost my breath for a second! I'm not kidding. Disbelief, like heaven on earth!

MAN! You know how to take pictures...and in the most beaUtiful places! Wish I could be a stowaway! : )

(PS: Is Lake Powell salt water? ie: would we need the saltwater package if pulled our Benny there?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. It's not really all that warm here yet, but it did feel great during the day. Maybe around 50 but with the sun beating down, it felt more like 70. Lake Powell is as fresh as water can be. It still surprises me that it isn't just loaded with pontoon boats, they really are perfect for that place, especially now with the prevalence of tritoons and big motors. 

bcpnick - you have no idea how those pics help us get through the winter.  AWESOME!  Thanks for taking the time to post them.  PHENOMENAL!

Nick,

Stunning shots as usual. You sure can keep us "snow" people enthused about what's to come in a couple months. Keep amazing us with these photos!!

Glad I can help get you all through the winter! I just got home from an unexpected 22-hour emergency room visit that was a direct result of this trip. On the second day of this trip I started having some funny chest fluttering/pressure. I was 30+ miles up lake so I decided to head back closer as I felt a little uneasy about what was happening. A chopper could have landed where I was, but lots of problems with that, obviously. Anyway, turned out I picked up a crazy irregular and extremely fast heartbeat right after eating lunch that second day. In retrospect, I can't believe I stayed out for another night on the boat. Then another night at home, and almost another before going to the ER. They chemically restarted my ticker twice (felt like dying!) and tried a few more things before finally breaking out the electro-shock thingamajig and setting things back to the right beat this afternoon. All good now, but maybe next time I'll hold out and recruit some company when I'm itching to get out in the middle of winter. Anyway, here's a few more from the trip...

One of my favorites from the trip. Most people wouldn't want to have the boat in the foreground, but I dig it. 

IMG_7354.jpg

A closer view on the same sunset:

IMG_7356.jpg

Late evening light in my second, or technically third camp, where I moved to after my heart decided to stop working properly. 

IMG_7630.jpg

omg! wow! SO glad you made it out of that one! What a scare!

AND you "launched and retrieved" (from the other thread) You are one little (lucky) rascal!

Yeah, and that retrieve was a bear! The lake is 105' below full pool, so the hike back up the ramp is a half mile long up a steep slope. My heart was about beating out of my chest. And all the loading/unloading solo was a royal pain too. Add to all that the total knee replacement I had in November and I was just not ready for that kind of exertion just yet. I've barely been able to walk since getting home, and that has nothing to do with the hospital visit I just got back from.  :wacko:

Glad your ok but maybe it's time to employ the buddy system on those trips.

Yeah, as much as I loved the first night being solo, overall it was just too much work. And of course the safety aspect too. It's easy to round up a group in the warmer months. I just need to convince some friends its nice in the winter down there too, which I think I have done with these photos. :)

Wow. That is pretty crazy! Not sure I'd have been able to keep myself calm enough to stay out there like you did. Yikes. Glad you are back safe.

I wonder if a person could use a defibrillator on himself...

Ha ha, no I'm not serious about that one.

Not sure if anyone else reads Dilbert. But if you do... I bet Topper would use a defibrillator on himself AND give himself CPR!

Glad you're home safe! Now take care of your ticker so you can keep using your clicker box.

Glad your ok Nick. That's a little too close of a call.

Read your story and glad you are OK.  No more solos for a while, take care of yourself and keep us updated. 

Four hamburgers?

Yeah kaydano, 2 for bcpnick and one for each dog.  What were you looing for - a salad? 

Back