Transom saver

Lilbugger67

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I just bought my first Benny and I have a question about Transome savers. I plan on towing alot to different lakes and was curious if anyone can give me some input. The motor sits quite high when it's on the trailer and all the way down. What's your thoughts on hauling with the motor all the way down?? TIA
20220331_161149.jpg20220331_161208.jpg

My dealer recently delivered our new Benny to our lake. We have a 50 hp Mercury, but it has a built-in transom saver. It is a flip-up lever that looks a like like this. You raise the motor, flip up the lever and lower the motor to rest against it. You might check it out.

Attachments

• C8705F2B-A4DC-4BE2-92F4-3C21CBFDFD39.jpeg
    C8705F2B-A4DC-4BE2-92F4-3C21CBFDFD39.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 32
There have been a few threads on this topic already so you may want to do a search and give those a read.

Here was a recent one with several comments including my own:

My dealer recently delivered our new Benny to our lake. We have a 50 hp Mercury, but it has a built-in transom saver. It is a flip-up lever that looks a like like this. You raise the motor, flip up the lever and lower the motor to rest against it. You might check it out.
I suggest a bit of research on that - I understand that is NOT a TS!!

That’s what the dealer salesman making the delivery told me to use when trailering the boat and he used when he delivered it. In looking at Mercury and Bennington manuals, a transom support is indeed required. Both say that the tilt support lever is not designed to hold the weight of the motor when trailing the boat. I stand corrected and will so advise my dealer.

Last edited:
Like Laurence said, that flip-tab is NOT a transom saver, and is used only for service.

My dealer told me to just leave the motor down and it would be fine. I have a spot in my driveway that gets me too close for comfort when backing in, so I stop right before it's time to back in and raise the motor just a bit. But highway = keep it down.

Bennington has also suggested trailering with it all the way down. I reached out to them to clarify and this was their response:

I forwarded your email onto engineering and they suggested putting the motor all the way down while traveling if you have enough room.

My dealer suggested lowering it until it hits the trim piston to give it a bit more room, that is what I normally do just to add a bit more clearance. I have, admittedly, forgot to put the motor back up after getting it on the trailer though and didn't experience any damage on the ride home so clearly it has some space...whoops.

64088785693__a4b3cf97-5b39-44d6-90d8-5b567ae1f48c_li-jpg.32302

If you zoom in to this photo, you'll see 2 trim actuators. When you take the boat out of water you will use the switch on the left side of the motor to raise then lower the motor onto these two struts. Once the motor rests on these actuators, it'll be in the correct position for trailering.

Attachments

• 64088785693__A4B3CF97-5B39-44D6-90D8-5B567AE1F48C_LI.jpg
    64088785693__A4B3CF97-5B39-44D6-90D8-5B567AE1F48C_LI.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 39
64088785693__a4b3cf97-5b39-44d6-90d8-5b567ae1f48c_li-jpg.32302

If you zoom in to this photo, you'll see 2 trim actuators. When you take the boat out of water you will use the switch on the left side of the motor to raise then lower the motor onto these two struts. Once the motor rests on these actuators, it'll be in the correct position for trailering.
Pic is missing!

Back