Water/Condensation obscuring gauge.

M Jay Farr

Reaction score
All,

Quick question. I have attached two photos of two gauges One is constantly fogged/condensation, and the other is clear. The craft is stored with the cover on, the boat out of the water, and under a covered lift. There is no issue with water. The boat has not been in the rain. I have no idea as to the source of the water.

I spoke to the dealer to determine if there was a seal issue? His response was that is just the way it is.

Not too keen on that answer.

Any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 28
Take gauge out and pack in a bag with a desiccant. The desiccant can be found at Amazon. I use a food grade one in a tin with chips and stuff like that. Keeps them good for a long time and when needed recharge desiccant in oven.
Once gauge is dried out seal any possible openings with clear silicone. ( maybe winter time would be time for this) Or buy a new gauge from someone other than a dealer who gives an answer like you got.

Condensation/water should not be getting behind the gauge. As Timdelta said, it's not sealed fully.

Typical. Mines done it for years so have multiple gauges and some replaced under warranty early on. After sun hits them a couple minutes they clear up.

Last edited:
I have same condensation issue. But then again, my 2019 boat cover leaks. I am beginning to think that it is intended to leak and more of a dust cover. Frustrating. Makes you wonder what will be impact down the road. Bad design and limited options on both cover and gauges.

Our 2011 did this pretty consistently and had the same gauges - they aren't sealed (and are designed to be able to air out when they get wet). When they got out in the sun they cleared up fine.

If it's a constant issue the venting might be clogged - try what TimDelta recommends and remove/dry out - or perhaps hit the gauges with a hairdryer to warm them out/dry them up.

I have same condensation issue. But then again, my 2019 boat cover leaks. I am beginning to think that it is intended to leak and more of a dust cover. Frustrating. Makes you wonder what will be impact down the road. Bad design and limited options on both cover and gauges.
Its intention is dust/dirt prevention, not waterproofing. This has been discussed in great detail over the years. It’s also not a “towing” cover. Even though some dealers and owners claim different, it‘s not designed for that. I sure wouldn’t want my cover coming loose going down the highway beating my boat to death.

I had the same issue for my 2015 Bennington. Our local dealer where I purchased the pontoon in Howell Michigan says its normal and will clear up from the heat of the bulb. Its still a pain and should not happen on a Bennington at all. Worse at night when we cannot see the gauge at all.

Typical. Mines done it for years so have multiple gauges and some replaced under warranty early on. After sun hits them a couple minutes they clear up.
I wish that it would clear up. I have had the craft for two years; it has never seen a drop of rain and is always stored high and dry. Been out for hours in the heat and stays fogged. Glad your does clear, if mine did I would not have anything to bitch about :)

If you have power available put a light bulb on it, and maybe some foil to hold heat. Be careful not to burn and of helm.

I did, and the response I received, "That's the way it is" I have elevated this to Bennington Customer Support. Hope to hear back soon.

I had the condensation issue on my 13 & 14 ,20 minutes in the sun it was gone. Dealer had offered to change them at first .

Didn’t know that. I figured they were a sealed unit. It would drive me crazy too, and I wouldn’t tolerate it.

Mine does it still!!

I received a response from Bennington, and they will replace the unit under warranty. Now need to go to the dealer and see if they will comply.
Good news!

Common issue, back when the gauge bulbs were incandescent the heat of the lamps would remove the moisture, now the LED lights generate so little heat they are not helpful. I replaced my gauge under warranty, and the new one fogged up in a month. Sunlight does help, the dealer let me keep the original gauge and I put it in a plastic bag with rice, the moisture dissipated. So now when it bugs me enough, or the sun does not get the job done, I swap the gauges easy - pezzy.

So tomorrow, the gauge will be replaced, courtesy of Bennington. At the same time, look at the panel fitting in the rear gate, which is not set within the frame. Only two issues in three years, so not much to gripe about.

Back