Winter has arrived in Northern Michigan

I get Lake Effect Snow until the lakes freeze

Think of snow as powdered lake water. 

The lake is going to freeze over the winter anyway, so we might as well get a bunch of snow to make sure the lakes are full when spring gets here!

I always joke we get lake effect snow (as we live on a lake). Per the weather service our total for Saturday was 16.8". I'll be curious to see how much melts with temps in the 50's and rain later this week.

Man I just cant take it.  I wasn't supposed to see snow or even cold this year.  It's supposed to be 50 here for Thanksgiving but you guys are making me nervous

Wow, that's nuts. You guys get hammered and our area is trending for warmest average temp. November in history.

Up in Petoskey ,we got less than 2 inches ( ski resort & lake effect some of it ) .Its all gone .

Last year right after Thanksgiving they were already out Ice Fishing on Crooked lake  

Ice on Crooked Lake the past 2 mornings .Last year at this time they were already ice fishing .

12313536_905339529561739_4681654312293858893_n.jpg

No ice at all here in Traverse City on our lake, though some of the smaller ponds in area have briefly skimmed over then quickly melted in the sun. Very cold - low 20s - but no snow on ground at all.

No snow here either .Drove by Boyne Highlands this morning ,they are making it ,glad the wind isn't blowing 

No snow or ice here either.     :p          It's 70 Jack.

All of our 16.8" of snow was gone by Saturday. I did see a little area of ice on our lake but suspect that will be gone by the time I get home.

Looks good! No snow on the ground down here and I love it! Actually saw someone finally taking their jet ski out over the weekend....idiot. I hear we might have an El Nina this coming summer which will be nice. About time we get some warmer temps!

No snow, no lake.

I don't like snow, but I like a full lake more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our lakes are plenty high currently , and we have had a lot of rain .

Last edited by a moderator:
No sight of snow yet in upstate NY and like you the lake is higher than normal

Weather this morning said No Snow and temps in the upper 40's for the next 10 days . 

Perhaps ,I will be out in April . :D

I sure hope you all have a mild winter up there! I have to go to training in Madison, WI in January and February. Last couple years have been brutal for my co-workers that went. I'm hoping my trip is the "3rd times a charm" weather wise.

Dave ,are you flying or driving ?

Flying. Come in night before, class for 3 days, then tentative fly out that night. Last year coworkers landed in Chicago, then planes got grounded and they had to drive in snow to Madison. On top of that their luggage went to another airport so they had to buy clothes that night!! I'm not looking forward to it!!

Back