Winter has arrived in Northern Michigan

If you were driving And going the Long  way through Michigan ,I-75 is only 12 miles east of where we live .

Perhaps another time .

Yeah, I debated on driving. If it was spring or summer, I would, even though it's over 12 hours. Would have been a good Solstice cruise, but I don't trust chancing it in January or February ...... Maybe I'll drive in June for my final class.

Last edited by a moderator:
So much for the "mild winter "

10 inches here overnight 

But, isn't that good for manufacturing syrup?
We were just talking about that last week .

We thought that it ( lack of snow) would make for a shorter season ,sap still has to run snow or not and that the season would start earlier . The earliest ,that " I " have started tapping was  February 16th  We have had a lot of rain ,so depending on the temperature it could start sooner .

Our dusting is melting here.

So much for the "mild winter "

10 inches here overnight
Came to traverse city on the weekend and we "only got" about 6 or 7 inches last night but it is really heavy snow. Bare ground when we got here and the lake is now about 20% skimmed over with ice. Starting to look like winter. My plow guy was here this morning for the first time this year - usually he has had to plow 4 or 5 times by now.

Ours was that fluffy stuff ,had no problem with my garden tractor .

Well my classes in Wisconsin are interesting, and it's warmer here than Pa. ???

Even went out at 6 am this morning and ran a 5K.

Well my classes in Wisconsin are interesting, and it's warmer here than Pa. ???

Even went out at 6 am this morning and ran a 5K.
Where in WI are you?

Its not going to last ,they are calling for highs in the teens next week then another warm up 

It sure is a crazy winter.  TV said it was the warmest December ever, then last Monday it was in the upper teens and this Saturday forecast says 53

Our lake is iced over. High 30's and mid 40's on Saturday before the cold sets back in. Might as well get some skate-able ice. Might even drill a couple holes and start the fishing tourney!

Andy ,is it that colder down state ?

We have mostly open water and very thin unsafe ice .Even on the smaller inland lakes .

We've had some nights in the teens. Doesn't take long with smaller bodies of water to ice over.

We have only been that cold once "So Far " .They claim that the cold is on its way though .

Where in WI are you?

Randy ,I think he said Madison .

Yup, Madison. What a nice town (at least where I was). Of course the 42,000 college kids are on holiday break ...  ;)

I did a run the one morning and ran around the Capitol building. What a beautiful building when lit up at 5 am in the morning.

Tues. night we went to a bar called Wandos and had beer and  all you can eat bacon .... they said they serve 200-250 pounds on a average Tuesday night when college is in session.

I go back again in February for my 2nd class. I sure hope the weather cooperates like it did this time. 

Back